Considering.... - adrian6
Hi

I have run and towed a 'van with a 1997 2800 TD Automatic. It has NEVER let us down. Costs have been for routine servicing (by myself) and oil/filter changes every 3000 m.
Mileage is 125000.

However, she's a bit dated now, no airbags/ABS and other "essential" extras.

I am searching for up to date honest opinions on the new Shogun - 2007 3.2 TD Automatic. Comments on the reliability index are not encouraging(!)

If not the Shogun -an alternative please, must have 4WD diesel and auto, to tow max 2000kg.

Thanks.
Considering.... - NARU
I did miles and miles off road in a mk1 Shogun in Kenya and when I took up caravanning, I thought I'd buy another and my first choice was a 3.2 Shogun, but like you decided the quality probably peaked with the mk2.

There isn't a great choice if you want a diesel auto.

I went for a Toyota Landcruiser - mine's a 3.0 auto. Very pleased with it so far. Especially when it came to pulling the 'van off a very muddy campsite in October. I didn't even need the difflock. I guess the main downside is that its a bit old-school 4x4 on the road.

I guess the alternative is keeping your shogun for towing, and having a smaller car for everyday use?
Considering.... - captain chaos
How about a Citroen diesel, one with the self-levelling suspension? Would make an ideal tow car I would have thought, unless you do a lot of caravanning on green field sites?
Considering.... - gordonbennet
. I guess the main downside is that
its a bit old-school 4x4 on the road.

Thats possibly part of the reason why they're so reliable and unbreakable.

Not easy to find direct competition for the Mitsi when you consider the value for money of the thing, Toyo's are a fair bit more expensive initially, but possibly even out over time. Amazon is the most luxurious but much pricier.

Whatever you get in that class of vehicle should be extremely cheap next year when the economy starts deteriorating.
Considering.... - adrian6
Thank you for your replies. I had and will continue to look at the Toyota. The true 4WD capacity has got us and others out of trouble - not only the 'van scene!
Prices are dropping, so I will probably delay a few months before taking the plunge.

Thanks again

Adrian
Considering.... - *123*
Adrian - I've just bought a 2003 Shogun Warrior (3 door) 3.2 TD automatic and absolutely love it ... pricey in terms of fuel but in 'cruise control' mode, seems to be a little better!

Bought from Mitubishi too so got a 12 month warranty for peace of mind :0)

Bought for winter commuting and horse trailer towing.
Considering.... - Webmaster
FAQ *123*

I have sent you two separate emails regarding your attempts at updating your email address. Can you action this please.

Thanks, Webmaster.
Considering.... - NARU
Wow - a thread coming back from the dead afer a year.