Fuel Economy - dave.
First message, and I know there was a discussion below on a similar vein, but that was for the petrol version.

I've had a Mondeo Titanium 1.8 TDci 125Bhp for the last month, and only clocked up 1500 miles - so I appreciate I might be jumping the gun a bit.....but.....the fuel economy is appalling.

It's a company car, and choosing this car was a delicate balance of what I could get for my money, test drives, economy, tax, looks, safety - and this beat off an Audi A4, BMW 320d and the Merc C200cdi.

It was particularly close between this and the BMW - with the Beamers mpg approaching 60mpg nearly clinching the deal, but I was reassured by the Mondeo claims of 48, and figured in reality I'd be approaching 45 combined.

I've had lots of cars previously, and while I'm no driving miss daisy, I usually get approaching the official figures, on average about 3 or 4 off.

With this Mondeo, I've done mostly motorway miles, mostly around about 70-75mph, and the economy is 38mpg. I really couldn't drive more economically, and I'm gobsmacked that it's so bad. The car itself I love. Bar having to remember to jump back when I put the boot up in the rain, it's perfect. Masses of room for the family, enough boot space to host a party in, comfy but solid drive - it's ticking all the boxes I hoped it would. But the economy is a major kick between the legs. I had an A3 sportsback quattro turbo rocket of a car that gave me 35mpg, and that was on unleaded which is of course much cheaper.

Having to pay more for fuel that doesn't give much extra on the economy feels like I've been duped.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a fault? Should I be contacting Ford? Do new diesels always do this at first, and should I give it another few thousand miles? I know someone with the old model diesel, and he says he regularly gets around 50mpg.

Cheers
Dave

Fuel Economy - Altea Ego
Bad news. Diesels take up to 12000-18000 miles to run in and deliver full fuel consumption,

Have you checked for binding brakes? (feel if a wheel is hot) tyres at the correct pressure?
Fuel Economy - dave.
Thanks for the reply.

No - I've not checked for binding, but I'll have a look later.

The revs are really, really low - so to my un-expert mind, it suggests everything is running as it should. On the motorway at 70 in 6th it's scarcely 2000rpm.

But if it takes that long to run in, then I could be a long time waiting for it to get to the mid 40s eh?

There's a place on the internet that promises 30% better economy and performance for a re-map for £200 - would that be madness this early on in the engine's life?
Fuel Economy - Altea Ego
There's a place on the internet that promises 30% better economy and performance for a
re-map for £200 - would that be madness this early on in the engine's life?

Yes it would. It will also invalidate the warranty and they can check.
Fuel Economy - Statistical outlier
It also won't give you 30% better economy - you can be sure that it that were possible the manufacturers would do it as standard.

It *might* give you quite a bit more power, with not as much economy loss as you might expect, but that will put far more strain on everything else than it's designed for, and you would invalidate the warranty as someone has already said. If it's a lease car then you will be specifically prohibited from doing this in any case...
Fuel Economy - rtj70
And remapping a car that is not years is possibly getting you into problems down the line.

I had the previous Mondeo TDCi and could get 50mpg out of it on A roads at 56mph easily. But I tended to get 40mpg or lower on average. One reason is at times I do lots of short journeys so the engine never gets warm and you do not benefit from the diesel's thermal efficiency etc. This one also suffered more being a Euro IV version (no DPF).

I now have a Mazda6 diesel 143PS sport. I get similar to what I did in the Mondeo I think. I tend to check pence per mile so with fuel increases I might get better. But when I work out mpg is can be around 38-43mpg but again this includes lots of short journeys. I think if I went on a long run and did a brim test it would be pretty good.

How Top Gear claim to have driven as far as they did on a tank of petrol is beyond me. Although the trip computer the other week was saying range was 2 miles but fuel light was not on. I refuelled and it seems it had range for at least another 80-100 miles and probably more.

My other thought was for a such a large car, a 125PS 1.8TDCi seems small to me... what sort of driving do you do.

Rob

Fuel Economy - rtj70
Not sure of how true it is, but it is said the 2.0 TDCi 130PS engine in the previous Mondeo (the lump related to the Transit engine not the Ford/PSA one) would produce closer to 147PS in the UK. The 130PS is the minimum you'd expect on diesel and with higher quality diesel in the UK it ran better and more powerful.

Not sure how valid this was though. The Mazda6 with only 143 seems swift enough to me. Look forward to trying one of the new 2.2 diesels with either 161 or 185PS :-)
Fuel Economy - dave.
Thanks for the answers.

So the re-map is a no-no then..it is a lease car.

The mileage so far has been mostly motorway miles. Couple of 200 mile trips, few 100 mile and regular 10 mile trips to work which is a brief motorway trip. it's getting worse, incidentally, 37 now...and falling.

The main problem I have with it is that I would have chosen something else had I known it would be so poor. I wanted a car that saved me money each month - low lease price, low car tax and good mpg in family sized car. This no longer stacks up - and it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and leaves me feeling a bit duped. 50+ on the motorway, 48 "average" - it's a mile off those figures.
Fuel Economy - Alby Back
I'm getting 37-38 mpg regularly from a 2.2 petrol Vauxhall Signum, and an easy 45 mpg from a 6 year old Mondeo diesel estate. Both cars normally fully laden and usually running late if you see what I mean......

Summat wrong with yours I would have thought.

:-(
Fuel Economy - rtj70
With the cold weather your mpg will go down a bit. The bit I know I am right in saying is the winter additives to stop waxing of diesel at low temp will affect mpg. Also the lower air-temp will allow the car to be a little more powerful (air is more dense) and therefore probably burning more fuel. And with colder weather the car will take longer to warm up and so will not be efficient for short trips.

I think all of us diesel drivers see lower mpg in colder weather. And depending on how you drive it and it is a big car for that engine IMO then you might not see much better.

When I was choosing the Mazda6 I had it for about 3 days on a test drive to see if I really liked it. I was looking at mpg (did a few hundred on various roads as I was off work), comfort, and whether the xenon HID lights made a difference (did the Woodhead pass late at night and back on the M1/M62)....

What I am getting at you presumably were happy with mpg on a loan car and this one is worse. Or did you just hope the official figures were achievable on something other than a rolling road? I've never got close to the official figures in the Mazda6 or the Mondeo TDCi in normal driving.
Fuel Economy - Andrew-T
>The bit I know I am right in saying is the winter additives to stop waxing of diesel at low temp will affect mpg. Also the lower air-temp will allow the car to be a little more powerful (air is more dense) and therefore probably burning more fuel ..

Right or not, I just checked the consumption in my 306 HDi over the last month; two or three round trips of ~350 miles and a few local runs. It just about made 60mpg (which is really 59 allowing for the odometer over-reading) so I can find no evidence of winter effects, as I have failed to do over several years. So maybe some engines are just different ...
Fuel Economy - jag
son is running a loan vauxhall zafira 1.9 diesel 118?hp 08reg with 1700mls on the clock.
he is getting 37mpg if he is lucky. 30ml run to his work in the morning and 30 back at night. no short runs. as he is a vw technician he is to say the least srprised by the poor economy. his own car is a seat ibiza cupra, puts out about 180hp, does about 35mpg on the same run. it got a bash up the backside at a junction and will most likely be written off.

Edited by jag on 25/11/2008 at 18:10

Fuel Economy - craig-pd130
I have a 2.0 zetec estate manual, done nearly 9000 miles and it's averaged a genuine 42mpg since new (measured, not on the fuel computer). Worst tankful was 39mpg, best about 45. 70% urban driving, 30% fast motorway work.

On the Ford forums the 1.8 is reckoned to be much more economical than the 2.0, as it isn't hampered by a DPF, etc.

How do you drive it? I've found the 2.0 works best between 2 and 3,000rpm. The gearing on these cars is too long, in my opinion, so I tend to drive in 30 limits in 3rd gear rather than 4th, in 40 limits in 4th, and only use 6th above 75mph on clear motorways.

Try giving it some squirt & revs to get to your desired cruising speed quickly ... slow & gentle acceleration actually uses more fuel than getting to speed briskly.
Fuel Economy - Altea Ego
> slow & gentle acceleration actually uses more fuel than getting to speed briskly.

Not the case at all - nor proven. People who win MPG contests always use slow and gentle.
Fuel Economy - woodster
Acceleration is the real killer for economy in my 2 litre diesel Golf. Gently does it, almost letting the engine pick up the pace, and revs below 2k if poss brings max economy. Does seem to be worse in the cold weather though.
Fuel Economy - dave.
To answer a few of the questions, I've been driving this more gently than I've ever drove any other car. Changing up early (to use the extra torque - I thought that was the right thing to do), hitting 6th as soon as is reasonable. 70 ish on motorways, sometimes less.

I didn't take the 1.8 diesel on a test drive, but did have a trial car for a week that was the 2.0 diesel estate, and was over 40mpg. I reasoned going off the official with the 1.8 getting better, then I'd...well....get better.

And previous cars (all kinds: Audi A3 quattro turbo thing...BMW 320...Merc C220d...Honda Accord) have all returned either bang on the stated mpg, or at most 3 or 4 below on average.

I might try thrashing the hell out of it for a week to get a comparison.

And after that, i'll contact Ford. And no doubt get given a load of flannel.

Cheers all.
Fuel Economy - rtj70
Do report back. I get more than you (just) when doing only local, short, stop-start journeys in my Mazda6 2.0 143PS diesel.
Fuel Economy - Lygonos
For the first fwe thousand miles it is generally advised to avoid very gentle acceleration and long spells of cruising to aid the running in of the engine.

Avoid full throttle beasting, but don't be afraid to accelerate quite briskly and use reasonable engine braking to bed in rings and promote a low oil usage.

As has been mentioned above the first year of diesel mileage can be quite a few MPG down on the rest of it's life as the engine runs in.
Fuel Economy - Avant
"I didn't take the 1.8 diesel on a test drive, but did have a trial car for a week that was the 2.0 diesel estate, and was over 40mpg. I reasoned going off the official with the 1.8 getting better, then I'd...well....get better."

Sadly, I don't think you will. It will certainly improve with mileage, as others have said, but it's still a smallish engine pulling a big lump of a car. In normal driving ( as opposed to whatever curious way they arrive at the official figures) you'll have to work the 1.8 hard to maintain reasonable progress.

But you've got it now, and it's not much help to you to say you should have had the 2.0. Follow HJ's advice on running in, and give it a few thousand miles.

As mentioned above, on the new Mondeo forums, the 1.8 owners report consumption that's consistently lower than the 2.0 ... typically 45+ compared with around 40-45 for the 2.0.

I wouldn't thrash it, but again on the Ford forums, owners generally report better economy by keeping the revs between 2 and 3,000 rather than changing up too early.

Certainly the motor has got enough torque to pull the car along at sub-2000rpm, but it won't necessarily be at its most economical when doing that.
Fuel Economy - dave.
Have you got a link to that forum? Wouldn't mind taking a look.

Thrashed it this morning on the way to work...drove it like a petrol car, you could say. Over-taking (and under-taking...middle lane drivers), higher gear changes, left it in 4th in the 30 zones, only hit 6th above 70.
38mpg.

If it wasn't electronic, I'd think it was stuck.

Thanks again - particularly on the running new engines in advice and keeping it between 2 and 3000 revs. Very useful.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/11/2008 at 12:53

Fuel Economy - oldnotbold
Are you taking the car's own MPG reading, or doing brim-to-brim divided by miles covered calcs?
Fuel Economy - rtj70
Were you looking at the average reading. If it's not been reset lately then if you've say achieved 38mpg over 2000 miles then driving it differently for 30 miles probably would not change that average ;-)
Fuel Economy - dave.
:) I'm not totally daft.

I re-set it first thing to try out the economy in "thrashing it" mode.

And yes, I'm going off the computer's MPG - but I have done it the other way.
A re-fill took 64 litres when the car had done 550 miles, so 39mpg by my reckoning - but that was two huge journeys doing a solid 70 ish mph; as good as it's going to get economy wise. The computer read it correctly as well - so I was suprised to see the view above that it's not to be trusted - what's the story there?

It's www.fordmondeo.org, under the MkIV section there's a TDCI sub-forum.

Recent 1.8 versus 2.0TDCI thread here: www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/781889/
Fuel Economy - oldtoffee
>>Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a fault? Should I be contacting Ford?

IMO, you could try leaning quite hard on the leasing company suggesting (in writing every time you contact them) that something is definitely wrong with the car to be so wide of the official mpg and you're going to have to consider rejecting it unless it gets fixed. When your Ford dealer says everything is okay, assuming it hasn't changed, reject their findings and start discussing exchanging the car and keep up the pressure. You might not get anywhere but the earlier you make contact the better and if you shout long and loud enough you might be surprised.

FWIW my experience of several diesels from new is that after 20,000 miles they definitely run smoother, seem noticeably more powerful but the mpg efficiency improvement is marginal and certainly not the 25% you're hoping for. I get 40mpg out of my 5 speed, Legacy diesel at "quite different" motorway speeds than you.

Fuel Economy - Lygonos
but that was two huge journeys doing a solid 70 ish mph; as good as it's going to get economy wise.

You'll find at steady 60mph, your MPG should be approx. 15-20% better.

Average speed is hugely important to MPG.

My Forester 2.5 turbo does 27mpg in 70+mph motorway driving, with plenty of boost to overtake.

On a 240 mile motorway drive set at 64mph (60 by sat-nav) I get 34mpg. At 60 you can also stay in the inside lane and never be caught up by HGVs, and when you start to catch one up you have plenty of time to smoothly get past without brakes or phat throttle.

Nice to chill out and relax sometimes rather than join the ratrace in lanes 2 and 3 ;-)

I find almost the opposite on daytime motorways: lane 1 and 2 are constantly being baulked by trucks doing 57 / 58 mph, much smoother progress in lane 2 & 3 at a steady 75+ ....
Fuel Economy - Lygonos
Aye, very dependent upon which motorway, and the number of 65-70mph middle lane jockeys.
Fuel Economy - dave.
Quick update on this - I've done a couple of hundred miles driving it a bit harder - like I drove all the other cars, and it has had a bit of a difference on the mpg.

It's down to 35.

Which is about the same as a petrol Audi quattro.

Super.

It's going back.
Fuel Economy - rtj70
Best of luck rejecting a company car - it will be more difficult than you think. Is it a lease car?

That is poor, and is certainly a lot lower than other 1.8 owners on the Ford forums get.

Have you experienced any driveability problems with it, such as excessive throttle lag, difficult pulling away from standstill, stalling or similar?
Fuel Economy - dave.
Ah, well, now you mention it Craig - all of the above. I'd not stalled a car since I turned 20, but I've stalled this three times now....and I daren't pull out on anyone, because it can take a few seconds (literally) before it seems to catch.

What does it mean?

When I say "it's going back" - I mean to the dealership to be checked out, because yes it is a lease car, and I'd be surprised if they'd allow me to throw a hissy fit and give it them back.
There are lots of threads on fordmondeo.org and smaxownersclub.co.uk from 1.8 TDCi owners about stalling / lag issues, and how owners have had these solved with an ECU reflash at the dealers.

I will find some links to threads about this to show your dealer.

The problem as I understand it is, Ford does NOT issue technical service bulletins about these ECU software updates / tweaks. Instead, they just put the new software code on their central service computer system, and it's automatically downloaded when the car is hooked up to the diagnostics.

So the dealers don't always know there is an update available ... unless they've already done software updates on similar cars.

Here's a useful thread -- one of the moderators on the SMax forum (same 1.8 TDCI engine) got his dealer to update the ECU software and reported good results.

Might be worth printing this, highlighting the relevant bits and taking it with you to show the service people.

www.smaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13...5
Fuel Economy - dave.
That's fantastic thanks Craig - really appreciate you going to the time and effort.

my pleasure -- I found my Ford dealer to be willing and helpful, just not especially clued-in on the fine details of software updates etc
Fuel Economy - Akin
Have you tried using only main dealer diesel (Shell Diesel Extraespecially) instead of using supermarket diesel. I tried switching to Tesco from Shell (because of clubpoints) and I got a retuned of about 20mpg less. I have switched back to Shell and my mpg has returned to >52mpg (Honda Accord).
Fuel Economy - rtj70
There is no way using Tesco or any other supermarket's diesel will result in 20mpg less.

It sounds like craig has found some useful info on an upgrade to the ECU that needs exploring.
Fuel Economy - dave.
I've tried Shell, BP and Tesco - no difference.

It's booked in for Wednesday anyway - helpful dealer has agreed to check out the computer mapping.

And it's down to 32mpg...I'm praying it's got a problem that can be fixed.
Fuel Economy - rtj70
I'd get 32mpg in my 1.8T Passat back in 2001-2003 easily. Something is wrong.

My diesels could be better but often lots of short journey's only (work from home a lot on the current projects).

Good luck with it, and please do report back what the dealer finds.

As a minimum, the car should be hooked up to the Ford diagnostic computer and any new updates downloaded.
Fuel Economy - DP
With this Mondeo, I've done mostly motorway miles, mostly around about 70-75mph, and the economy is 38mpg.

My petrol Volvo S60 2.0T does 50-70 miles a day, all bar about 5 of which are motorway. I am regularly seeing 34 mpg without trying at all, and if I stick rigidly to the limits, and get lucky with traffic, I can actually see 39 mpg over a tankful, believe it or not.

To get our Grand Scenic 1.9dCi below 40 mpg average on a "mostly motorway" tankful, you'd need to drive it consistently at 90+ mph, and even then you'd probably still scrape into the 40s. 30's returns are reserved for tankfuls where it's been stuck mostly in town.

Driven at 70-75, on a motorway, it's doing 62 mpg according to the computer, with a comfortable brim to brim measured average of 48-50 as long as there's not too much town work thrown into the mix.

Your engine is still tight, but even so I'd expect way better than 38 mpg. I also suggest you get it checked out. Aren't Ford notorious for their new diesel models needing endless software updates for the first year or so?

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 02/12/2008 at 10:26

My own Mark 4 (2.0TDCI) hasn't needed a software update, but I've posted before about going round its engine bay checking and (where necessary) finishing / correcting a poor job on the assembly line .... vacuum hoses and intercooler hoses not properly mounted on their spigots, engine breather hoses with the clip half on and half off, that sort of thing.

As a result I don't get any of the problems of stalling / hesitation / cutting out that a lot of Mark 4 TDCI owners have encountered, and I suspect a large proportion of these are caused by minor air leaks etc from assembly-line sloppiness.

All it takes is a slight inlet of air after the MAF and the engine will run a little lean, or a tiny vacuum leak so the VNT / EGR systems don't work smoothly.

Just found this on HJ's car-by-car breakdown for the Mondeo IV:

"Poor economy and sluggish performance from the 1.8TDCI can be cured by an ECU download. There is now a a new one. The previous one ended in "LG". There is now a new one ending "LH". That's the one you need."

How's it going Dave?
Fuel Economy - dave.
Awful!
They said the computer side of it checked out ok and there were no updates to be applied.
They took it for a test drive and got 36mpg and said that's good enough to prove there's no problem.
Not picked the car up yet, but I'm not expecting there to be any difference in light of that.
Might mention that LH rather than LG thing to them.

Gutted...I'll go down the shady ebay chipping route I reckon.
Fuel Economy - Statistical outlier
Shady chipping - don't do it. You'll be uninsured and in breach of contract. Not worth it for a difference of 2p a mile in running costs.

Try another dealer, or try and reject: someone on here successfully rejected a V50 for similar lack of efficiency.
Fuel Economy - rtj70
Don't chip it - if there is something wrong with it and it gets worse then you'll find you've voided the warranty and you personally will have to pick up the repair costs. In our fleet, we are responsible for misfueling for example - so if we ruined an engine that way we would pay out not the company!

I'd definitely try somewhere else. What does the fleet/lease company's technical department say?
Fuel Economy - dave.
I've not told them yet - they already think I'm a moaning sod for complaining about two cars they gave me while I was waiting for the Mondeo. In my defence, neither were safe (one had fumes coming into the car, the other had 4 bald tyres on delivery), but still, I can tell they think I'm one of those customers who always complain. Maybe I am...

I'm off for a long run up north this weekend, I'll see what it returns - hopefully something approaching 40+. If it's still low 30s, then I will get in touch with the lease company.
Fuel Economy - Andrew-T
>Hopefully something approaching 40+.

All I can say is, that if that is the best a new diesel can do, and you don't thrash it, there must be something wrong somewhere. I would complain at anything under 45.
Fuel Economy - dave.
Just to complete the saga:

100 miles one way going absolutely hell for leather (late for a party - which wouldn't have impressed any lurking plod, who fortunately weren't) and 38mpg.

100 miles back again on cruise control at 80 (are you allowed to say that here?) and delighted to see 45mpg.

So while they said they found nothing and did nothing, it seems to have changed something.
I'll be really happy with 45 from here on in.

Thanks all for your comments, helpful suggestions and shared experiences - I hope I'll be able to help someone else on here in the same way.
Fuel Economy - Downesi1
I always found that 80mph gave me far better economy than 70-75mpg. The car was an 56 Seat Toledo 2.0tdi with DSG.

However, for the first 2k of the cars life the MPG was at 27.... The car just ended its leasing life and could hit 42mpg on a run. Overall mileage 22k.

Average over 22k, 38mpg.

Not what I was expecting when I leased it, but then I was compairing it to the old PD engines, which you cant as the new euro 4 standards have killed MPG.

I've taken on an old 406 hdi now and get 46mpg on an average tankfull and its much quieter!

Edited by Downesi1 on 07/12/2008 at 22:31

Fuel Economy - Lancelot2
I have the 1.8 Titanium X TDI. The faster I travel on the motorways,the better fuel economy. Regularly over a 120 mile trip I am on 49-53 mpg.,by trip computer and my own reckoning. About 43ish about town
Fuel Economy - Lancelot2
This reply is very late,but you never know,it may be of interest. I have the 1.8 TDCi with now about 15K on the clock. A motorway run regularly returns 50mpg. On a long run 53.3 mpg.