03 1.4 Misfiring/Engine management light problem - bobothebear80
A few months ago my g/f car had a problem where the Engine management light kept coming on. She called out the RAC and he plugged it into a diagnostic machine which said Cylinder 3 was failing. When we inspected this we found the Spark plug well was full of water. So we cleaned this out and replaced the Spark plugs and the car had then been running fine until the past week.
It has started juddering and misfiring when accelerating and now the Engine management light is always on. I checked the spark plug well again and once again it was full of water. It was then that I discovered the Fiesta Washer Jet problem which has clearly been causing the problem from visible staining on the top of the Air Filter housing. I have swapped these jets and cleared the water out but the problem remains.

Now i'm not sure what to try next. Do I swap the Spark plugs again assuming the water has damaged them? Do I swap the coil pack?
I have tried the diagnostic check on the dashboard and this is what is says below, I can't see what I thought would be a fault code in there. Am tempted to get the RAC man out again to diagnose the problem again.

test
gage
bulb
A 0000
nr0820
EE 82
CF1 00
CF2 00
CF3 00
dtc none
E 0000
t 0000
t60021
F1 098
FP1204
FPt202
F60008
000 C
C6 001
odo000
trn --
1Ud --
bat118
bf-0
hb-6
SLP-0
LC0010
Cr -0
AC -0
P0-00
P2-19
P6-29
ad0153
Ad1059
AD2255
Ad4255

03 1.4 Misfiring/Engine management light problem - Screwloose

It's quite possible that the insulation on the plugs had broken down from water-inspired "tracking."

Have you had the plugs out? Are there black lines down the exterior porcelain? Have you swapped the plugs around?

"dtc none" - no fault-codes.
I did quickly take the plugs out and dried them with some kitchen roll but can't say I was really paying enough attention for any black lines. I put each plug back into the same hole.
It was far to cold and the rain was getting worse so I didn't want to muck around with it for to long.
What difference would swapping them around cause?

If there is no fault code how would the engine management light be diagnosed?

Thanks for the help so far
03 1.4 Misfiring/Engine management light problem - Screwloose

The only reason for swapping plugs is to see if the misfire moves with the plug - thereby proving it's the plug.

As you haven't any info from the diagnostics as to which cylinder it is [and disconnecting injectors to test is difficult] then it wouldn't help at the moment.

Is the light still on?
Yes the light is on constantly. When I took it for a quick drive round the block the Engine light did flash a little bit and then went back on permanently.
03 1.4 Misfiring/Engine management light problem - stairman
Had the same problem with my wifes 03 1.4 Fiesta. Water comes from the core plugs between the plugs known problem with this engine. Have them removed, sealed and refitted.
03 1.4 Misfiring/Engine management light problem - rac rich
"Am tempted to get the RAC man out again to diagnose the problem again."

good idea, he should have a coil, leads, and plugs on his van (I have) 99 quid the lot fitted.

P.S. don't drive it with a misfire, you'll melt your cat

R