1997 1.7 rattling BMW?? - telecaster
When I purchased my BMW 1.7 tds there was a rattling/tinny sound from the aux belt tensioner area.

I fitted a new battery and the noise disappeared.....till yesterday that is.

Also on start up the alternator warning light will flicker for a few seconds and then go out.....this does not happen when the car is driving.

I am wondering if the alternator is faulty and is putting the belt and tensioner under stress.....the new battery cured it for a couple of days and after a couple of days (as the battery lost power) the problem reappeared?

I hope this makes sense , or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I am no auto electrician but how do I check for faulty alternator with a small multimeter.

All help appreciated.
1997 1.7 rattling BMW?? - Screwloose

Far more likely to be a problem with the over-run clutch inside the alternator's drive pulley.
I should add that spraying the belt with silicone oil stops the noise for a bit.
1997 1.7 rattling BMW?? - Screwloose

I'm still wondering if it's the pulley; the silicone would slip the belt de-loading it.

Has the alternator drive pulley got a flat plastic front?
Thanks for the reply Screwloose, no the drive pulley is some kind of metal/alloy.
1997 1.7 rattling BMW?? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
might, I say, might be a bit early for freewheeling alternator pulley. Have replaced a few aux belt tensioners where the bearing had spat all its lubricant out and was squealing.
Look for 14.4 (ideal) volts at the battery, more than 0.5v in either direction indicates an alternator problem.