Audi A6 Avant v BMW 5 Series Touring - jb
I'm looking at buying a 3 yr old diesel, probably a 1.9TDi Audi or 525d BMW with circa 30,000 to 40,000 miles on the clock. Apart from Climate Control I'm relaxed about spec. and intend to keep it for 2 - 3 yrs. I do about 25k per annum.

Any thoughts on the conparison between running costs for the two cars? I'm not too concerned about depeciation, just servicing, routine maintenance and reliability.
Audi A6 Avant v BMW 5 Series Touring - CM
I have a 530d Touring - the reason that I got over the others is because it is a rear driver but mostly that it is 6cyl. The 525d a relatively new model is also a 6cyl compared to the A6's 4 cyl. The fuel economy will be better with the A6 by about 8-10 mpg.

Do not be tepmpted by a 525tds

What I could never understand is why anyone wants to buy an A6 1.9tdi when the Passat is essentially the same car but several thousand cheaper (has the 1.9 A6 now been pushed to 155bhp?)
Audi A6 Avant v BMW 5 Series Touring - jb
I agree about the Passat. I've had both a 1.9TDI PD (130bhp) and a 2.5TDI (150bhp). They've been good at everything but excelled at nothing. I would always recommend them.

I'm looking for a bit more prestigue in the company car park. (Vain I know, but I have to drive a lot of clients around and no matter what anyone says, people do think about these things !)
Audi A6 Avant v BMW 5 Series Touring - Phil G
Yes the passat is good, but the A6 is a bit bigger.

My Dad has a W=reg 1.9TDI Avant. The best thing about it is the fuel economy. 50mpg nearly all the time, and he gets almost 700 miles to a tank of diesel. Not many cars you can do that in! Don't listen to the motoring mags who say it is too slow, it is plenty fast on the motorway, with good in gear acceleration. 125mph has been seen on the AutoBahn.

Not much good for traffic light grand-prix but if you wanted that you wouldn't be buying a diesel estate car ;)

Other than that, the suspension is hard, but great for throwing around corners. Also the climate control system is fiddly.

The latest 525d is much newer than your 3 year old cars you are looking at and will probably be too expensive. Avoid the 525tds - it is old generation diesel technology. Really the only comparable car to the A6 1.9TDI is the BMW 520d, which is only available on the continent. BMW doesn't sell it here presumably because they think it will adversely affect their 'prestige' sporting image.
One more thing - I would look for one with higher miles than you suggest. For one thing, this would mean lots of motorway miles, which is good. Secondly it will be cheaper, as private buyers are wrongly worried by this.
Audi A6 Avant v BMW 5 Series Touring - CM
If you are going on the prestige bit, then I think that the 1.9tdi/4cyl lacks a bit compared to a 2.5d/6cyl. However I think that the spec in an A6 would be slightly better for the money.

As mentioned the 525dT is under 3 years old. I had a 325tds before a 530dT and the differnece is huge. I would probably take a 520/523iT before a 525tdsT.
Pah, no one will no if you de-badge it. Commonplace with Audis and BMWs. Then get a cheap £250 personal plate from the DVLA (we have an A6 xxx plate and it was only £250) and no-one will know you are getting a miserly 50mpg and driving a 12 grand car.

They look great in silver.