1997 2ltr Water damage - duggie
My wife went through a flooded road today in her 406 2ltr petrol, the car cut out and wouldnt restart, the AA came out, removed the spark plugs the engine was then turned over and water forced out the plug holes. The plugs were replaced, but the car wouldnt start, AA then towed the car home. Appears water has been sucked into the engine. What should i do first? i was going to drain and replace the oil, take plugs out pour some oil into the plug holes and spin the engine over, the battery appears to be flat as the engine wont turn over by the key. If the engine is damaged could we claim from insurance?
Duggie
1997 2ltr Water damage - Screwloose
Duggie

That sounds like hydraulic lock. Remove all the plugs and turn the engine by hand. [Push in gear.]

Once you have established that the engine will turn [or not] then spin it on the starter to remove the rest of the water, dry the tips of the plugs on a gas ring, refit and retry.

Most engines that ingest water are toast - your comprehensive insurance should cover it, although it will write the car off.
1997 2ltr Water damage - Hamsafar
If the AA removed the plugs and it turned over without making funny noises, then it's probably mechanically OK. Check the air filter isn't sodden as this will stop air getting through it, especially if it was already very dirty and dusty.