Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - far0n
Fuel's more expensive, cost more to maintain and service, and I hear endless stories of blown turbos etc. Gimme a petrol any day.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Westpig
agree to a point...but...recent 250 mile round trip at fairly short notice:

in wife's car (2 litre turbo diesel), knocking along nicely = 40.5 mpg, same journey in my car (3 litre petrol) would = 25-26 mpg at best

that doesn't half make a difference.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - boxsterboy
I've driven diesels for years (as well as petrols). For everyday driving, nothing beats a diesel in my book. Easy torque, pulling power and better consumption.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - L'escargot
You can always spot a diesel driver by the smell of their house the moment you enter.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - mattbod
Ehemmmmm! I'll have you know my house is a fragrant as a Rose Garden! Seriously though there is more to a Diesel than economy and, as mentioned, a Diesel engine is a lot more effortless and relaxed in general than an equivalent petrol engine. But yes I take your point about cost although my Fabia VRS has (touch wood) been faultless in the three years I have owned it. I may go back to petrol next time but may end up regretting it.

Edited by Mattbod on 08/11/2008 at 13:54

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Devolution
Diesel fuel costs more, but goes a lot further so tends to be better value overall when driving the diesel equivalent of a car. Whether the saving will be swallowed up by greater servicing is hard to say. There's good cars and bad cars on either fuel. Far better argument is to look at the car of your choice first, then make comparisons and research regarding reliability of diesel/petrol equivalents
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Alby Back
Fair point Westpig but if you compare more like for like cars you do get a much less clear result. As I mentioned on another thread yesterday I now find myself in the rather strange scenario where the fuel cost per mile of my 2.0 Diesel Mondeo estate is the same as that for my 2.2 petrol Signum. Not in my case a clear reason to favour one over the other, there are characteristics of both engines which please me but the simple equation of fuel cost has just got very marginal on cars which are otherwise similar. For the record they are both costing 11p per mile at present.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - colinh
"...in wife's car (2 litre turbo diesel), knocking along nicely = 40.5 mpg, same journey in my car (3 litre petrol) would = 25-26 mpg at best..."

Those figures, in both cases, seem very poor. Have recently changed from a 2.0 TDI auto which averaged 50.4 mpg over 3 years, to a 2.0 petrol auto which is averaging 38.2 mpg to date.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - DP
Modern diesels are ace. Smooth, refined, gutsy and the only way to get any kind of performance with reasonable running costs in a big car.

Cheers
DP
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - gordonbennet
fuel cost per mile of my 2.0
Diesel Mondeo estate is the same as that for my 2.2 petrol Signum. >> 11p per mile at present.

Thats interesting Humph, since the price of petrol has dropped but the difference between petrol and diesel seems to be getting greater (15p per litre at one garage), certainly percentage of cost per litre, it could in theory become cheaper to run the petrol if the price drops another 2p per litre maybe?

Other than that, i would now buy a petrol in preference to a common rail diesel in most vehicles, even if they cost the same to fuel, the cost risk of the diesel engine far outweighs that of the petrol.
Apart from the cost, the horrible rumble of modern 4 pot diesels especially when cold just isn't worth it when the costs are so similar.

I wonder if anyone else has as accurate costings as Humph for proper automatics of the 2 species?
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Group B
fuel cost per mile of my 2.0
>> Diesel Mondeo estate is the same as that for my 2.2 petrol Signum. >>
11p per mile at present.

Yes the current fuel price differential is a bit of a bind at the moment, my annual fuel cost saving is now down to about £270 at todays prices, working on 10mpg difference in economy.

To replace my car with a petrol car of similar size, spec, and similar or better performance, the average mpg would probably be 10-15mpg lower. I like power and torque delivery at low rpm so in a petrol car would want either a large capacity engine or something turbocharged.

Will have to wait and see if the price differential reduces again in spring like it used to.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Bagpuss
Given an ideal world I would always choose a petrol engine over a diesel. I have yet to drive a diesel that is as refined and nice to drive as the equivalent petrol engine (Renault comes closest), I've also yet to drive a turbo diesel that didn't have turbo lag when starting from rest which I find makes them very annoying to drive around town.

However, the world is not ideal and in my job a petrol engined car would probably require filling up 3 times a week. Additionally, the business leasing rates for the petrol version were considerably higher than for the diesel. So diesel it is.
that didn't have turbo lag when starting from rest which I find makes them very
annoying to drive around town.

I find that in most cars too, and i find it very frustrating, some 4x4's seem better as indeed many vans do, maybe they are set to provide better low speed torque, i notice this when delivering new vehicles, stark difference between the low speed power of say a berlingo and its equivalent car.

Our hilux which shares the same engine with the landcruiser LC5, 3 litre 4 cyl with variable vane turbo doesn't have any noticeable lag either, but i suppose a lot comes from each cylinder having 750cc as against most cars which have 400 to 500 cc.
I wonder why makers are so reluctant to put their more driveable and willing commercial engines in their cars, or even if they do they seem to be set up for higher engine speed power delivery.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Number_Cruncher
>>I wonder why makers are so reluctant to put their more driveable and willing commercial engines in their cars,

It's a trade off GB.

The higher torque of commercial engine variants at lower engine speeds provides so-called "back up torque", which means as you approach a hill, and the engine slows, it moves into a region where it produces more torque. This reduces the need to change down. The price you pay is that the engine develops less power.

For a car engine, you are generally much less interested in "back up torque", and so, the engine is tuned for power. That, alas, most people don't allow the engines to spin fast enough to get the benefit is another issue!

Practically, the big difference is in the cam setup, a commercial engine will be set up to produce best volumetric efficiency at lower engine speeds than the equivalent car engine.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - movilogo
For an automatic transmission, between similar sized petrol and diesel engines, which behaves in a better way - eg. pulling, handling, consumption etc.?

Or it just makes no difference?
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - David Horn
Yes, because they're so easy to drive. Pootling along in a traffic jam? No need to use the accelerator, let it run on tickover and you can change right the way up to 4th gear - which will then take you through town and onto the motorway before you need to change again.

More importantly, there's no need to change down a gear to accelerate at higher speeds. My Honda nearly always dropped a cog if I wanted to go from 70 to 85 to pass something in a hurry on the motorway, whereas the Passat just cruises up there in 5th faster than the Honda anyway.

What else? Overtaking on A-roads is now something I enjoy, rather than disliked in the Honda. The economy is great - over 50 on the motorway and even on the short and pootly journeys (less than a mile each way) I'm doing at the moment it's nudging 40mpg.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - captain chaos
Not really, especially if you own an older model. Change the cam belt before it goes in for an MOT so it doesn't let go during the emissions test? No thanks. Plus the more frequent servicing they require, the difference between petrol and diesel prices has all but wiped out any advantage of better fuel economy.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - b308
Wonder where all these blown turbos he's talking about are? I've owned many TDi's and know many others that have as well, and not one blown turbo between us! Now a blown turbo on a petrol I have heard of.... just different people's perceptions?

CC - re servicing - many modern diesels are on variable servicing - and "normal" servicing on modern diesels are 10/12k or 12 months which as I understand is roughly the same as petrol cars?

Edited by b308 on 08/11/2008 at 12:07

It's a trade off

Thanks for that explanation NC, i much prefer the low and lazy power of good commercial engines the pleasure of allowing the revs to drop to almost tickover and then just let the torque pull away cleanly, usually better i've found with engines over 500cc per cylinder and progressively improving as you get to 2000cc and above per cyl, power at tickover almost to cruise around.

Maybe that will be the next phase in car engine development, the ability to provide power in the whole rev range of the motor, a sort of split personality, i'd like to see that happen, as i dislike many of the current diesel offerings for the narrow power band, almost nil below turbo assisted revs.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - movilogo
the ability to provide power in the whole rev range of the motor,

Happens in electric motors - constant torque at any RPM.

:)

>>a sort of split personality, i'd like to see that happen

In a way, it already has GB, but it involves electrickery of the kind you usually avoid! If you have variable valve timing, and variable inlet manifold length, you can optimise the engine over a much wider rev range than was possible using older technology.

One of the things which helps the drivability perceptions of diesels is that the governor has much more authority over the engine than the idle speed bypass valve does over the tickover a petrol engine. So, it seems that the engine can move the car without your foot on the throttle, but, in reality, the governor is doing that task for you.
>> that didn't have turbo lag when starting from rest which I find makes them
very
>> annoying to drive around town.
I find that in most cars too and i find it very frustrating

Know what you mean, I went in my mates Berlingo van and it seemed to accelerate better than I expected.

IMO the solution for cars is to get it chipped/ remapped. Mine used to have dreadful lag, pulling out of some junctions could be a real challenge. But fitting a tuning box has very greatly reduced the lag and increased power all through the rev range.
If my next car is a diesel (my Dad wants to sell me his A4 PD 130 at a bargain price) getting it remapped will be one of my priorities.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - drbe
Fuel's .....blown turbos etc. Gimme a petrol any day.

>>

Sounds as though you have answered your own question.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - TheOilBurner
I hear endless stories of blown turbos etc.

I'm sure you do, here's my tale of woe with 5 diesels so far (two common rail):

Mondeo 1.8TD: Nothing went wrong
Mondeo 1.8TD #2: Nothing went wrong
Astra 2.0 DTI: Nothing went wrong
Vectra 1.9 CDTI: Swirl valve actuator broke and replaced under warranty without fuss
Volvo D5: Nothing's gone wrong so far...

Total mileage covered by those cars by me is about 90k miles.

As you can tell, in my experience, diesels are horrible unreliable things that everyone should steer well clear of!! ;)

Everyone I know with diesels both modern and old has "suffered" in similar ways to me...
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - akr
Recent article on German Autobild site compared the running costs of diesel and petrol. In the example of a Mk6 Golf 2.0 TDi and a 160 1.4 TSi they came dowm marginally in favour of the petrol as there was so little between them in running costs and the petrol engine is nicer.
My 93 1.9 TiD does about 43/44 mpg on the 60 mile a day commute so I reckon I should easily be able to find a petrol that does similar mpg, in which case i'm saving 15p a ltre difference plus cheaper service costs and cheaper purchase costs. It might mean buying something a bit smaller but that's ok.
I do like diesels, have driven them for quite a while now but I will seriously have to do the sums next time round. 14/15p per litre difference between the fuels is now just taking the mick in my book!
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - quizman
Several posters have said that diesel cars cost more to service than petrols. Could someone explain how?

My diesel car will do 45-48mpg on longish trips with a tank capacity of 550 miles. If I drove more slowly it would do over 50mpg.

My son has just bought a BMW 520 diesel. I am amazed that it will do in the high 40s and goes like stink.

Some years ago I never imagined that I would drive a diesel, but now I have got one I would not go back to petrol. Diesels drive so much better.

I reckon that many fuel pump problems stem from wrong fueling. Imagine a renter going to fill up when returning a car, petrol 94p diesel 106p!
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - madf
What is this hassle?

(apart from petrol car driver's ignorance? :-)
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - PhilW
"What is this hassle?"

Good Q madf.
My experience of work needed on diesel engines so far since 1987 has been (excluding service - oil and filter change each year or every 12500 miles)
BX 1.9 - 170k - two new glowplugs
BX 1.9 TGD -140k - 4 new glowplugs
Xantia TD 98k - nothing
Xantia 2.0 HDi 100k - nothing
Berlingo 2.0 HDi 38k - nothing
Berlingo 1.6 Hdi 28k - nothing
And all of these are, as you will have realised, notoriously unreliable French Citroens. But then I have been lucky with 6 successive cars haven't I?

I also drive a lot of different cars at the moment - noisy diesels? Rubbish! BMs, Mercs, Audis, Cits - you can hardly hear the engine especially at motorway speeds where they are quieter and less fussy than petrols. As for performance - if you are putting fuel in different cars be very careful to check which fuel is required - look at rev counter, check inside filler cap for labels.
As for turbo lag - there ain't none with modern diesels - they pull smoothly and rapidly from about 1500 RPM or less.
Drove a BM Alpina the other day and was amazed when I realised after a couple of miles that it was a diesel - went like stuff off a shovel. The only petrol car that compared with it was a Maserati! - 4.2 (?) normally aspirated V8(?) - seemed more like a diesel to me!!
The other obvious thing about diesels is that they seem to require a lot less fuel - I have been amazed by the economy of some BM, Audi and Merc diesels even when driven fairly hard. As a rough guide as to how much fuel is needed I reckon on about 30mpg for most petrols, 40mpg for most diesels - not usually far of - but it's always the petrols that need an extra £5 or £10 worth of fuel to get them to destination.
But then what do I know? And most of these statements are "impressions" rather than measured - except with regard to my own cars - none of the Cits meantioned above have averaged less than 45 mpg - and most of them have done a fair few miles towing a caravan.
Phil

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Avant
The 'hassle' is pretty much what the OP says it is. This topic has come up many times before, but it's useful to revisit it particularly as there's a good, balanced article (apart from its last sentence) by Andrew English on the back page of this week's Auto Express.

The advantages of a diesel engine are well-known - my VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 bhp estate is both faster off the mark and more economical than SWMBO's Mini Cooper (new version) and my Y-reg BMW Z3 2.2i.

But -

- it's a lot noisier than either, and although the new VAG common-rail engine is said to be quieter, Andrew says that to meet Euro V emissions requirements they're going to get noisier again.

- I wouldn't fancy keeping a modern diesel beyond the warranty period, especially as I do 20,000 mile a year in it. The dual-mass flywheel (which mine has) and the diesel particulate filter (which it hasn't, thank goodness) are likely to fail and be expensive.

What I hope will be available in 2010 is a choice of more efficient petrol engines which combine good torque (as with the VAG 2.0 TFSI engine) with the best possible economy (the Honda Jazz 1.4 gives figures not far off a diesel). What I don't want is an engine that gives its best only at high revs (Honda, Alfa for example). I'm a relaxed driver but I like to get a move on.

Some say the small-capacity, high-power engines are the way forward: I haven't tried one yet. What's the torque like on the VAG 1.4 FSI engine - anyone tried one?
I have a friend who has a 1.4 TSI Twincharged engine (I assume this is the engine you refer to Avant) in the lower state of tune (around 150 bhp) and he is disappointed with it and wishes he had bought the Diesel (2.0 TDI).

I think the Twincharge engine is technically fascinating but I would not want to fix it if it went wrong!

YouTube link to the video.

tinyurl.com/5mj8b2

Edited by Pugugly on 08/11/2008 at 20:24

Thanks very much, Mattbod. The film sounds convincing (although there are a lot of rubber belts it seems) and in theory, if reliable, the engine should deliver the combination of torque and economy that people are looking for, who currently go diesel.

Do you know why your friend is disappointed with his?
My mate has the 150 bhp version but they also do a 177 bhp version that is featured in the video. He just feels that he should have gone for the Diesel as it responds better low down as it has a lot more torque. He test drove the 177 bhp version featured in the video as well but couldn't afford it so there may be some sour grapes as well! It should be noted that to get the emissions down VW have re-calibrated this engine to 160 bhp in the new Golf. John Simister in Evo magazine was very disappointed with this latest version in comparison with the 177 bhp. It seems therefore that if you want a TSI the 177 bhp spec is the one to go for.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - jase1
As more and more folk are moving to diesel engines, the price differential between the two will just keep widening -- evidently the UK exports petrol to the States and has to import diesel.

As long as a typical 1.8l petrol car is cheaper to buy than a diesel, and diesel remains 15%+ more expensive than petrol per litre, I will continue to buy petrol cars. Yes, the diesel is more economical, but the newer, sweeter engines fitted to Mondeo-class cars are, ironically, much less economical than the older tractor-engines, and they need to be at least 15% more economical to break even, 30% more economical to make back the extra outlay for a typical 12,000 mile pa driver on a newish car over a reasonable period (say three years), and that is before you consider the potential problems with the newer diesel cars.

Yes, the diesels may well be nicer to drive, but this is an entirely separate question to the economics.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - quizman
No one has explaned how diesels cost more to service than petrol cars. I reckon they cost less, no plugs to change for one.
Is this a myth, like Rolls Royces never going wrong?
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - nortones2
As to economics, all the costs need to be considered, including the largest cost, which is not fuel. Which, by the way, can vary according to demand for various fractions of the crude. What costs 15% more currently may not in 2 years time. All in all, go for the engine type you prefer.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Pugugly
When our company ran something like nine BMW diesels,ranging from 320ds to 530ds, the received wisdom from the business manager was that they was a saving of around 15% over the equivalent petrol fleet. Not insignificant - when I ran my own diesel BMWs, certainly found that the servicing costs were comparative with what people say on here their Fords/Vauxhalls etc were costing to service. I think that the "cost more to service" is a little bit of a myth.
When I said diesels cost more to service I was referring to the older models (mine) having a shorter service interval than the equivalant older (mine) petrol vehicle :-(
When I said diesels cost more to service I was referring to the older models

How old are you talking, CC? I had a couple of Austin Rover Di diesels back in the early 90s and they were 12k intervals... more than my previous Astra Petrol... and all the others have been 10k, same as the equivelent petrols...
Hi b308
It's a '95 Cherokee TDSport, 6k service intervals.
It's a '95 Cherokee TDSport 6k service intervals.

Ah, I had a Maestro and Montego diesels and a '93 Astra 1.7D all with 10k and above service intervals... I take it the one at 6k was an oil/filter change?!
Yes, every 12000 it's grease up steering rack and wheel bearings. Old school.....don't you just love 'em? :-/
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - akr
No one has mentioned the fun factor either. I know it's difficult to have fun driving these days but I can't say I've ever really enjoyed driving my diesels. Yes, they've been economical, they've been torquey and quite quick to be fair (Golf 110s, 130s, 93 TiD 150s). They've also been reliable.
However, compared to an Astra VXR and a Golf GTi Mk5 I recently test drove there's no comparison. Yes, I know these are a lot more powerful but I spent the whole test drive with a big grin on my face. I can't imagine feeling like that with a Golf 170 diesel with a big heavy lump in the front affecting its handling. I've also driven the Astra with the 150 diesel in and yes, it was quick but, again, it didn't make me grin.
Yes these petrols are extreme examples but I think I've got to the middle age where I want to stop being so practical and get some fun out of driving before it's too late. And sod it if it costs a few bob more!!!
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - 659FBE
Absolutely fair comment, but the question you're perhaps failing to ask yourself is "Am I buying toy or transport"?

I don't have the luxury of choice and I know which prime mover does the better job of moving my goods and passengers.

I know what you mean akr. I'm in the slightly odd situation of using two similar cars both for highish mileage purposes. As I mentioned above, the oddest thing now is that their fuel costs are identical despite one being a 2.0 diesel and the other being a 2.2 petrol.

The diesel Ghia X Mondeo estate is quite the most relaxing and practical car I think I have ever had. Supremely comfortable and just seems to eat the miles without trying, leaving you fresh as a daisy even at the end of long day's work on the road.

The petrol Signum is an altogether different thing despite its similarity in terms of market sector. My one is fitted with the harder suspension and sports seats and of course the reasonably powerful petrol engine. Much more involving to drive and loads more fun to press on in when the mood and opportunity arises. However, not nearly as relaxing. I describe it as a harder car, a hooligan in a suit, whereas the the Mondeo is more of a faithful butler.

Depends what you want I guess.
Almost everyone is comparing turbo diesels and similar size petrol engine's without turbo's and pronouncing the diesel a far better car. Most are not comparing like for like, and i do speak as a very long term diesel owner who remembers just how sluggish non turbo diesels were, but also the delightful low speed torque they had for traffic and reasonable driving.

Lets come up to date and compare the power and sheer brute force of say a Volvo D5 and a T5, both about 2.5 litres, one a capable and reasonable performer within a limited power band, the other a similar car that can transform into an awesome and very fast machine in the blink of an eye.
You can make the same comparisons with almost any manufacturer that makes turbo'd or supercharged petrols as well as diesels.

MB made good 3 or 3.2 turbodiesels, very powerful and smooth, but their performance pales when compared to the 3.2 V6 petrol Kompressor, performance to put many 5 litre and above petrol engine's to shame, drive a range rover with the 2.7 diesel for a lesson in diesel lag then hop into the supercharged petrol for a lesson in instant no lag brute power.

Yes modern turbo diesels are powerful and will do everything most people want, assuming they are unable hear that awful clatter on a cold morning, and i along with the vast majority here know instantly when a diesel fires up, whether i'm in it or out.

But they are still crude when compared to the silky smoothness of a 6 or more cylinder petrol engine, not to mention the black smoke that comes from almost every diesel worth driving under power. If they don't black smoke a bit under full power then there's probably some clever device waiting to hit you in the pocket preventing it.

And when overall economy is looked at, most people could buy the petrol car they want, have it LPG'd and end up with a cheaper, quieter, often faster, more refined and much more economical car than the equivalent diesel.

BM 520d or 530 LPG'd petrol, i know which one i'd want, and assuming i keep my job.... my next car will be a LPG'd 6 cyl petrol (unless of course those V8 Dodge Chargers keep dropping ..;) He says conveniently forgetting Dick Turpin's VED plans....oh well back to reality.
{{..(unless of course those V8 Dodge Chargers keep dropping..;)
As far as I'm aware, if it's a car that isn't officially imported into this country, DVLA won't have any emissions figures for it so it falls below the radar. Should be £185 then.
country DVLA won't have any emissions figures for it so it falls below the radar.
Should be £185 then.

Now thats a nice thought, but i seem to remember checking this out before and being disappointed, but i would like someone to prove me very wrong.;) don't ask me why but those new chargers really do something for me that only a handful of cars of the last 40 years have, the new challenger doesn't..don't know why.
Whatever you do, don't admit to liking American cars on here, I've learned that from experience. Cue the howls of derision. Inferior. Bad build quality. Don't go round corners.
Bad taste (ok, that's a matter of opinion.... the new Rolls Royce doesn't REALLY look like a vulgar brick)....
A few FACTS and figures though, from experience (not heresay)....
19 year old American car flies through last 3 MOTs without even an advisory...now there's inferior bad build quality for you
Parts availability....next day no problem, longest wait 5 days for an obscure part from the states.
Expensive to maintain....oil filter £4.50, water pump (only thing that went wrong in 4 years) £60. Wow. Transmission filter £19. Cam belt don't know it doesn't have one, thankfully, like almost all American cars.
Comprehensive insurance £172 (limited to 5000 miles a year, agreed valuation)
Don't go round corners. Oh yes, it does. Very nicely thank you.
Minimal depreciation....the longer I keep it the more it's worth ( the previous model to mine worth around 10-15% more)
Thanks to the difference in price of diesel/petrol costs pretty much the same to run as my diesel 4x4.
Champagne motoring for lemonade money. Don't see the point in spending a fortune buying a "me too" car, I like something a bit different.
There, I've nailed my colours to the mast. Anyone smell burning? ;-)
Whatever you do don't admit to liking American cars on here

Like most other countries makers there are good and not so good.
I've had 2 in the past, a 72 mustang and a 86 camaro, both V8's both reliable and quick and refreshingly simply made.
I wonder if thats still the case.

The mustang was a straight line machine only and very basic, went like hell but couldn't stop it with non servo drum brakes all round.
The camaro was much more comfortable and useable and once i'd slung the US tyres was as good in the handling dept as any comparable RWD coupe.
Reasonable on fuel so long as you didn't use all the power all the time, and agree about parts prices, a revelation and confirmed the Rip off Britain theory about our own vehicles.

I haven't had any more recent cars from the US, but i did test drive a new shape Mustang 3 or so years ago, quick of course but very disappointed in the hard ride and extremely sad to find so much rust on the unpainted suspension on a less than 12 month old demonstrator, definately a must for full waxoyling and/or painting fully underneath. (the sales chap was most surprised when i went underneath for a butchers, does anyone buy a car without having a good poke nose around them)

As i said very few cars have that 'i really do want that car' factor for me that have been made within the last 40 years, only the Charger does that at the moment, these Euroclone flying machines do nothing at all.
72 Mustang, can't pick a decent one up for less than 7 grand these days. The unassisted drum brake set up is one of those curious things about American cars that is down to which option boxes the original buyer ticks when they order the car. So you sometimes get air con, power seats, locks but "hey I'm not bothered about upgrading the brakes even though I opted for the 400 cubic inch V8!"
As for undersealing, they just powder coat the underside at the factory and leave the undersealing to the customer to arrange with the dealer to carry out if they wish. Strange....
Just a quick correction: TSI in lower tune is in fact 140 bhp and the higher tune 170 bhp with 177 lb/ft of torque. That's still considerably lower than the 230 lb/ft that the 2.0 TDI produces.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - maltrap
Can someone explain (in laymans terms) why, like for like,diesel engines use less fuel than petrol engines?
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - oilrag
Put simply, A given volume of diesel fuel contains more energy than petrol and a diesel engine converts more of that energy to work, than a petrol engine.

Edited by oilrag on 09/11/2008 at 13:37

Not sure if this the answer but I've always imagined it was because diesels produce the torque at lower revs and to my simple mind it takes less burnt fuel to turn an engine slowly than to turn it quickly. Probably quite wrong......
It is because they are more thermodynamically efficient. In simple terms this means that more fuel is conerted to energy than in a petrol. I am no scientist however! One of the best explanations on this subject is in Robbie Coltrane's book Coltrane's Planes and Automobiles in the Diesel chapter, well woth a read.
And compression ratios are quite a lot higher for diesels. Typically 23:1 on the older non-turbo diesels, 18:1 on VAG 1.9 (the fuel efficient ones!) and now down to 16.5 on the CR VW diesels (the less fuel efficient ones) and the Honda 2.2 engine.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Ben10
Are diesels worth the hassle. In my book yes. I've had three in the last 5 years. No problems.
>>Can someone explain (in laymans terms) why, like for like,diesel engines use less fuel than petrol engines?

Here's a few reasons;

1) Quality control, not quantity control - the presence of a throttle in a petrol engine

A diesel regulates how much power it produces simply by varying how much fuel is injected - the air supply is not throttled or restricted, i.e., the mixture quality is regulated. A petrol engine regulates how much power it provides by varying the amount of air fuel mixture is injested - both air and fuel are regulated, and the total quantity of mixture is controlled.

By throttling the air supply, the petrol engine must do more work against pumping when running at part load. Another way of viewing this is that the (partially) closed throttle reduces the "effective" compression ratio of the petrol engine.

2) Compression ratio - rejecting less heat to waste

The diesel engine uses a higher compression ratio than a petrol. One way to consider the advantage of this is to think about it as an expansion ratio - in a petrol engine, you might only expand the hot products of combustion 10 times, while in a diesel, you will be expanding them nearer to 20 times.

This can be demonstrated in a practical, but approximate way. If you started up 2 similar engines, one petrol, and one diesel at the same time, and placed one hand upon each exhaust manifold, you would need to let go of the petrol engine's manifold far before the diesel's. A diesel rejects less heat energy to the exhaust.

3) The density of the fuel

Diesel is heavier than petrol, and so, you get more mass, more carbon atoms per litre. This is partially offset by diesel having a lower "lower calorific value" when expressed in terms of mass.

Items 1) and 2) are the dominant factors.

Sorry if the terms aren't sufficiently "layman" - however, most "layman" explanations are at best obviously wrong, and at worst plausibly confusing.

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - 659FBE
A fair summary as usual from my learned friend NC.

Again, in layman's terms, the crucial advantage of the diesel is that it is not committed to a constant air/fuel ratio as is the petrol engine. Most of the time, it runs very weak - this is under low and part load conditions which is how most of us use our engines on this crowded Isle. (My PD idles at about 50:1 air/fuel - most petrols at about 15:1).

Diesel fuel has a higher density, and a slightly higher calorific value per unit volume than does petrol - but it's not a lot different. The higher compression ratio of the diesel allows more work to be done per stroke; this is a key thermodynamic advantage. The diesel is not as constrained as the petrol engine is in terms of detonation - all diesels detonate to a degree when the fuel starts to burn. If you were to lower the compression ratio of a diesel to avoid this, it wouldn't generate enough heat to ignite the fuel.

It's a brilliant concept, made very acceptable by modern fuel systems. Hats off to Dr. Rudolph.

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - pleiades
Good concept but have always understood the originator disputed and in fact Mr. Herbert Akroyd-Stuart patented a compression ignition engine in 1890 two years before the Herr Doktor and also had a high compression engine runnning reliably six years before the Herr Doktor. If that's not true I'm sure somebody here will correct it!
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Roly93
A well trod topic.

However I am having very serious thoughts about this at the moment. I have driven 2 litre diesels for 7 years now, and in this time my mileage has reduced significantly from about 30K to below 15K a year.

I am looking at buying a new car next year and as someone else has said with diesel being at least 14p a litre dearer than petrol, the 'business-case' is getting very difficult indeed to justify diesel on this mileage. This coupled with the extreme slow warmup in the winter on short journeys and the tank-like characteristics around town are starting to sway my allegiances.

I do prefer the diesel on motorways, but I think someone somewhere is tying to wean us off them with economic means !
If I remember right, Roly, you have an A4 with the same 2.0 TDI engine as my Golf estate. You'll be a year ahead of me as mine's only just over a year old, but I'll be thinking very much along the same lines although I do 20,000 or so a year making the dlesel still a better bet, although more and more marginally.

I'm inclining towards something with the VAG 2.0 TFSI petrol engine unless someone comes up with equally good torque but better economy. Perhaps an A4 Avant if I can afford it, Octavis vRS if I can't. Anyway plenty of time to go yet.

Let us know how your deliberations go.
I still think Diesels strike the best compromise in many cases.Take the new Vauxhall Insignia for instance. The 1.8 petrol has 140 bhp but only 175 NM of torque so i'd imagine you would have to work it very hard. The next petrol engine is the 2.0 Turbo which sounds great with 220 bhp and 350 Nm torque but has a high 209g/km emissions so you are going to be hammered by Darling, especially if you are a company car driver. Therefore the 2.0 160 bhp/350 Nm Diesel is the best compromise in my opinion especially with its emissions at 154 g/km.

Edited by Mattbod on 09/11/2008 at 23:08

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Roly93
If I remember right Roly you have an A4 with the same 2.0 TDI engine
as my Golf estate.

I'm impressed ! You are absolutely right.

To be honest I've been looking at a new A4 Avant with the 2.0TFSI engine. Using the combined figure for the diesel and the petrol, at present price differentials there would be very little saving with the diesel. I also think that while they keep loading this Euro 5,6 7 emmissions carp onto diesels they are wrecking the fuel economy we once used to get.
The VaG 1.9 TDI 130 or AWX engine being a point in case. These were Euro III and practically ran on fresh air .
I do prefer the diesel on motorways but I think someone somewhere is tying to
wean us off them with economic means !

About a year ago, I think it was an article in Car magazine, someone made a prediction that 2008 would be the peak year for diesel sales. That they will start to very slowly decline hereafter due to improved petrol engine economy (small turbocharged engines, etc.), and increased cost of diesel systems to meet Euro 5 and 6 regs.
Their prediction was made before this years massive price hikes and obviously could not anticipate the current large price differential.

Will have to wait and see...
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - prm72
About a year ago I think it was an article in Car magazine someone made
a prediction that 2008 would be the peak year for diesel sales.

SQ

I think your right, i've had a few diesels and currently run a Volvo S60 D5, but its a euro 3 engine, i do intend keeping it another 3-4 years then will probably go back to petrol, even though i'm doing 30k a year. I get about 45mpg from mine but with all the emissions gear on the newer dervs its bringing diesel economy down too much almost on par with a petrol.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2008 at 10:29

On another car forum there's a couple of blokes who absolutely hate diesel and they've always criticised them for being too complicated (use of turbo, etc), but now they are singing the praises of the new (and even more complicated) twin charged petrol engines... talk about two-faced!! :)

There's a point there as well... I always understood that diesels were less harsh on their turbos than petrols hence the general reliability of them unless you started chipping them... so if the way forward for petrols is going to be turbo/supercharging them hows that going to affect the reliability of future petrol engines??

Edited by b308 on 10/11/2008 at 11:24

I think modern oils mean turbochargers can last the life of the engine. My petrol Volvo S60 2.0T is on its original turbo at 136k. No odd noises, no lag, still pulls like a train and uses barely a drop of oil. Of course, it could fail tomorrow (and probably will now!), but there are lots of examples of these and other turbo cars with starship mileages which are still perfectly healthy.

I know someone who had 170,000 miles from a turbo on a S2 Escort RS Turbo, run on mineral oil changed every 6k! I think that was a fluke though.

Cheers
DP
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Snakey
I still like driving a diesel but its because it suits my driving regime. (Lots of motorway miles and lots of sitting in very slow traffic)

However, when faced with cross city commuting give me a nippy,revvy petrol car any day.

If you're doing less than 20,000 miles a year I guess the cost benefit is minimal.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - smokie
I'm glad this is being discussed right now. I've been toying with the idea of ditching the 3.2 Vectra (which has known impending bills - tyres, cam belt at least in the next few months, plus a noisy shocker) for a Mondeo 2.2 diesel (probably with unknown impending bills!!

Main reason was future car tax, and small saving on insurance, but now that the Govt are talking about putting money in peoples pockets I reckon they might review the tax thing. Anyway, as I'm only doing about 20k miles a year, I think I can happily stay away from diesels from an economy point of view (especially as my employer pays my fuel at present!)
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - nick
I love the smell of petrol and hate the smell of diesel, especially on my shoes! Diesels seem so noisy too, apart from an Audi Q7 I heard the other day, almost sounded nice.
Inhaling petrol with 5% benzene doesn't fill me with joy! Sometimes things are not what they seem.....
I didn't say it would do you any good, but it still smells nice.
"Nice" old carcinogenic fumes, eh?
Yep! A little bit of what you fancy does you good.
Sorry for the misinformation: only 1% max of benzene in petrol now. It used to be 5%. Probably smells just as good though:)
I'm probably doomed anyway. I've played around with too many chemicals in my time at school and work, some before they were discovered to be dangerous.
The x30d BMWs under full chat acceleration sound pretty lovely as well. Straight six howl overlaid with the rush of air from the turbo.

The 20v Multijet Alfa 2.4 JTD is a fantastic sounding engine as well.

Sound quality generally doesn't go in diesel's favour though, I will admit that.

Cheers
DP
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - XantKing
On another car forum there's a couple of blokes who absolutely hate diesel

Ha-ha, wouldn't be the one with a 4 in it would it, b308?

It's difficult to argue in the face of such blinkered opinions as are expressed over there, but I believe you and I have made some valiant efforts - I'm the one you recently discussed LPG Maxis with!
It would indeed! And I was refering to our resident 23yr old who wrote his car off last year who used that argument!

Lot more civilised discussion over here, I feel!
In my kneck of the woods Diesel not 15 p a litre more expensive than petrol so I see the argument but I do like the easy torque and mid range of a Derv. With engines like the 2.0TFSI , you have to consider that to run at best thy need higher octane fuel which is only slightly cheaper than Diesel and will still drink if you give it some beans so a lot of balancing to do.
Ford Powerstroke V8 a lovely sounding Diesel. Volunteered out in Belize last year and heard a lot as the brewery trucks were F350s. Lovely roar when given the boot

tinyurl.com/6kmcad
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - Statistical outlier
By my reckoning the cost advantage has narrowed, but is still clear at higher miles.

Driven with no effort to economise, I reckon roughly similar cars might do 40 (diesel) and 30 (petrol) mpg respectively. At 25k a year, that saves £596 a year at my local garage prices. That's well worth it in my book.

If you say that a more typical figure for a diesel might be 45 mpg, then the saving increases to £933.

For those that might be interested, the cut off point on my model for a 25k a year driver, assuming the diesel does 40 mpg, is 35.9 mpg for a petrol.

So, for those who have found that diesel and petrol running costs per mile are the same, well, I'm surprised. You must be driving the petrol very gently, or there's something very wrong with the diesel.

Assumptions: Petrol 95.9p, diesel 106.9. I've taken no account of running costs as I've not been convinced they are different.
Nothing wrong with either car. Both being driven by the same driver ( me ) for the same purposes in the same style.

Petrol @ £0.929 x 38 mpg = £0.11 per mile
Diesel @ £1.069 x 44 mpg = £0.11 per mile

Though to be fair I am not measuring MPG, just the cost of refilling divided by miles run in both cars. Still comes to 11p in both cases.

Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - The Melting Snowman
No. I hate the things. With an engineering background a diesel just doesn't sound right in a car. OK in a van, lorry or dumper truck but no place in a car.

A car engine should be free-revving with variable valve timing and preferable more than four cylinders.

Be fair HB, over 25k miles you're still saving £17 using the diesel. That's a pint and a curry! Not to be sniffed at surely? ;-)
A diesel needs to be significantly more economical than a petrol to sway me, in terms of miles per pound. I don't like the way diesels drive -- personal preference, I know -- and there are pitfalls with modern diesels (turbos, DMFs, filling with petrol) which are offputting. Yes a petrol won't run to 500,000 miles without rebuild but I won't be keeping the car that long. I prefer smoothness and quietness to torque, and petrol cars are much cheaper to buy used.

There are examples as well where a diesel engined Mondeo-class car might only be managing 45mpg -- and the 1.8 petrol is edging 37 or 38. You have to go a long, long way before you've made up the £1500 extra outlay on the diesel, plus £500 insurance warranty against misfueling.

Seems to me that for the average motorist, doing 20K or less per year is not necessarily saving anything by buying a diesel.

Buy it for the same reason you'd buy an Alfa -- because you like it. Nothing more.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - madf
All rubbish. Petrol engines are useless for stop start motoring. Destroy themselves and exhaustrs.
Diesels are much better. As for exhaust systems....

None of this rich mixture when cold and flooding plugs.. etc..

And the torque allowing you to trickle slowly in traffic.. Multi valve petrols are a pia in traffic...

All rubbish. Petrol engines are useless for stop start motoring. Destroy themselves and exhaustrs.

Conjecture and opinion. Explain why my 1.8 Nissan hasn't "destroyed itself" after 240,000 miles, including a lot of stop-start? Oh, and the exhaust lasted 8 years.
None of this rich mixture when cold and flooding plugs.. etc..

Never flooded a petrol car in my life.
And the torque allowing you to trickle slowly in traffic.. Multi valve petrols are a
pia in traffic...

Again, piffle. I can start the car rolling with nothing more than the tiniest feathering of the throttle. Only idiots take the car to 2000 revs each time.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - L'escargot
And the torque allowing you to trickle slowly in traffic.. Multi valve petrols are a
pia in traffic...

Not with modern computer controlled engine management systems. My 2.0 petrol Focus will happily trickle along in 1st without me touching the accelerator or clutch. It will even trickle along up a significant gradient.
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - daveyjp
Horses for courses.

For my 15,000+ miles per year the Audi 2.0TDi DSG is brilliant. Just done a 500 mile trip and the fuel warning has yet to sound (less than 50 litres used) - not bad for 160 bhp at motorway speeds. Round town it gets 35-40 mpg.

For 4,000 urban miles a year my wife's petrol Aygo is perfect - 45 mpg.

After having a new A4 2.0TDi manual a few weeks ago I wouldn't have one if it were free. Very notchy gearbox and very heavy clutch - awful in stop start traffic.

Audi common rail meets Euro VI already, so I can't see how it will get noisier, the A4 is actually very quiet in the cabin.

Service on the Audi has just cost me £200 - 18,000 miles covered. Cheaper than the Aygo which is a minimum of £100 every 10,000 miles.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/11/2008 at 08:44

Horses for courses.

Can't understand why people just can't seem to accept the above... all our preferences are different, as are our uses of cars... for me its significantly cheaper to have a diesel even with 'only' 15k pa milage... but thats just me...

It seems that these sorts of threads are only set up as "bait" by diesel haters and other join on the bandwagon... its also noticable that you very rarely see a thread set up by someone who likes diesels... why?... because we don't need to, we know its strengths and weaknesses and are happy to accept them, some petrolheads must really have sad lives if they feel the need to make posts like some of previous ones... they are here to stay, so just accept it and get on with life, eh!

Now, can we move on to more interesting things!

Edited by b308 on 11/11/2008 at 09:03

Well said b308.
So we've essentially demonstrated that diesel is a bit cheaper, a bit riskier, and divides opinion on whether people like it or not.

Lucky that people can buy what they want really isn't it?
Are Diesels worth the hassle ? - oilrag
Its boring though sometimes ;) because you can predict the response from the nick.

Rather like the dinosaurs recreated voice box being blown in a lab, in modern times and emitting that unique note.
It would be more entertaining if everyone took an opposite view to their `natural` one and wrote as though it were an assessed assignment.

We would start with Screwloose putting in 2,500 words on the deserved dominance of common rail and virtues of engine manufacture in India.
MichaelR, would write defining the virtues of saving the environment by driving an Axiam 500.
While PU could define the satisfaction to be gained by riding a Vespa rather than BMW bike.

Someone somewhere would write of the near 50% saving on diesel over petrol on multi-cold running stop start.

The dinosaur larynx would then emit its unique note from stage left and that would be the signal for everyone to mirror it in being their `normal` selves and in some cases call each other morons.
;)

Edited by oilrag on 11/11/2008 at 13:23