00 HDi 110hp - lack of power - loadsofpugs
Hi just bought this 2 weeks ago,did about 100 miles no problems.Then on the weekend driving up slip road to motorway Mil light came on & instant loss of power, like turbo not blowing.Have read fault codes as follows P1135 Pedal position sensor A circuit intermitent P0401 EGR flow & P0101 Air Mass circuit ,reset Mil only for it to come straight back on within 2 miles. Not really sure were to start looking so any pointers would help.Thanks in advance Iain

Edited by Pugugly on 06/11/2008 at 21:46

00 HDi 110hp - lack of power - Screwloose

Wrong code definition - PSA codes are system specific.

P1135 on an EDC15C2 - 3rd piston deactivation solenoid. Short circuit to earth, or open circuit.

The 3rdPDS is on the top of the HP pump and should have a resistance of 25-30 Ohms between it's two terminals - plug off. It should show a 12v feed to one for a few seconds at key-on.

P0401/0101 Check for a stuck-open EGR valve; water clogged air filter; [been paddling?] and a split turbo/intercooler hose - usually the bottom one.
Peugeot 406 HDi 110hp - lack of power - loadsofpugs
Thanks for that, scanner uses was Snap on Modus,what scanner is good for PSA?
Peugeot 406 HDi 110hp - lack of power - Screwloose

A Peugeot Planet/PPS?
Hi again today I found the plug on top of the HP pump had come off, refitted it & have got some performance back mainly bottom end under 1500rpm. Air filter is new also have changed fuel filter( no filings in filter bowl) & oil & filter since having the car.What is the best way of testing EGR valves ( I presume these are on the bulkhead)Thanks again for the help so far.

The solenoid on the bulkhead controls the EGR valve on an RHZ; but the code isn't for the electrical side - more for wrong flow-rate.

Follow the rubber hose from that solenoid [check it at the same time] until it reaches the EGR valve proper. Remove and clean it [lovely job!]
Hi again there are 2 solenoids on the bulkhead they get there vacuum from a 't' piece near the brake servo then both have pipes running to the EGR valve, do you know what the vacuum should be,what triggers the solenoids? Thanks Iain

Some models do have two EGR solenoids - and one for the turbo too.

Both EGR solenoids are pulse-controlled by the engine ECU. Remember that the code is not for the solenoids - it's low flow through the valve.
Peugeot 406 HDi 110hp - lack of power - glowplug
Hi Screwloose,

Sorry to butt in, could I ask for more info about the EGR setup please? It sounds very similar to the one on my C5. 2 solenoids on the bulkhead, an EGR valve on the exhaust and a butterfly in the intake. Could you tell me the purpose of the butterfly (my Xantia HDi 110 didn't have one) and how the system knows how much EGR is flowing?

I'm waiting desperately for Haynes book in December, it's been delayed a couple of times.

Thanks.

Steve.
Steve

If you've got a vacuum-operated butterfly on the inlet; that's what Citroen call a "dozer valve." [The linkage is well-known for falling off...]

It not only can be used to enhance the EGR flow at idle/low revs; [about the only time an HDi uses much EGR] but it is also used to block off the airflow at key-off - thus reducing compression and that final clunky jerk as a diesel stops.

EGR flow is computed from the MAF readings. When the EGR opens, the intake flow drops correspondingly.
Thanks for the info, it makes some sense now.

Steve.
Hi Screwloose,

If I can ask a further question please?

What effect does blocking off the EGR valve have on the engine management (not unplugging the control solenoid but using a blanking plate say), will the lack of flow from it log a code? I'm interested to know just how much the ECU knows about what's going on.

I removed and cleaned mine the other day, it's seemed fine so I've left it as it is.

Thanks.

Steve.

You'll - probably - get away with it. The parameters for airflow are set quite wide on an HDi, so the MAF shouldn't notice anything wrong.

An HDi doesn't use much EGR above idle anyway. [This advice is 2.0 ltr HDi specific - other cars are very different.]
Update on problem.

Removed EGR valve & pipe that runs to inlet manifold cleaned out with brake cleaner,refitted still no improvement.When under bonnet if engine is revved turbo pipe that goes to inlet manifold swells up, so I am getting turbo boost right up to inlet manifold.Has the manifold got some sort of butterfly valve?
Has the manifold got some sort of butterfly valve?

Only a few versions have one; it's usually very obvious and vacuum operated.
Had some spare time today & have now cured the problem, removed & cleaned MAF sensor I can only say that it was too coated to detect airflow correctley, but it now goes like a rocket.Hopes this helps someone else.Iain
Peugeot 406 HDi 110hp - lack of power - weety

could you please explain how you cleaned egr valve and is it easy to do can not find haines manual anywhere

thanks