HGV test coming up - hume
I'm taking my class C test and need to know what mph for each gear. I will be operating a splitter box. for instant 3rd gear = 0-5mph. pls can anyone inform me of the rest. also any tips on passing are also greatly appreciated.
HGV test coming up - SlidingPillar
Does not that depend on the truck?
HGV test coming up - hume
I'll be driving a rigid.
HGV test coming up - SlidingPillar
I might add, I'm not an HGV driver, but I really thought gear speeds would vary with make and model. They certainly do for cars! (1st gives me 10mph in the Landrover, 35 in the Morgan 4/4 and believe it or not, 45 in the Morgan 3 wheeler).
HGV test coming up - mrmender
I'll be driving a rigid.

Good grief take care lol!
HGV test coming up - Statistical outlier
Can't you just drive the thing and make a note of the rpm for the relevant gears. Would seem easier than guessing.

Apart from anything else, I would have thought that having a list of them wouldn't be that much use anyway - you don't want to be consciously thinking about it when driving.
HGV test coming up - R75
It will have a rev counter, just keep it in the green. If you change up as the needle is on the max part of the green then the next gear will be at the bottom of the green and vice versa.

Also are you sure you will have a splitter box? Most rigids have either 6, 8 or at most 9 gears with a range change if over 6 gears. Splitter boxes don't normally appear until you are in artics (in general, but not a hard and fast rule).

Either way you need to use the rev counter as all trucks are different and it also depends on the ratio of the rear axle etc.

Good luck on your test though.
HGV test coming up - helmet
Could have a splitter if the vehicle has been used as a wagon and drag,although I'm more inclined to agree it will be a range change.

I'm currently piloting a 57 plate Volvo FE,3 axle 26 tonner,with the old Volvo 4 over 4 range change gearbox.

Whichever it is,good luck on the test,and let us know how you get on.

And for what it's worth,although not relevant with todays modern synchro boxes,try your hand a double de clutch,when changing up or down.If your unsure,ask your instructor,but it makes for smoother gear changes in trucks.

Edited by helmet on 31/10/2008 at 19:59

HGV test coming up - gordonbennet
There are no hard and fast rules, this is one area where a sympathetic feel and common sense are the best tools.

Your instructor should have given you sufficient hands on tuition by now and you should be competent with the gearbox if you are close to test, if not you need a new instructor.

If you are about to enter a driving course with a test at the end of it, do not fear you will be taught to operate the gearbox and the rest of the vehicle properly, the driving school need that vehicle after you too..;)

Any tips.....yes don't do it, find a proper job instead.....seriously, good luck with the test.