Suggestions Please - new car - aaflyer
Well, the time has come to replace my Punto. 2001 (first reg. 2005), 42k and full Fiat service history; I'm looking to get about £1300 part exchange.

Option 1: Put the money from the p/ex plus the same again into a deposit for an i-10 (with monthly payments of about £70 for 3 years). The thing that I like is, of course, the 5 year warranty and £35 tax and low insurance. So, overall spend of around £3500. But then car isn't ever really mine... It's really the only new car option that I can reasonably afford.

Option 2: Stick said £3500 into a used car. Now, I know it's the other end of the spectrum - I've always fancied a '3'. Seen a few 320 and 330ds with relatively high (ca. 75k+) mileages for not much more, from dealers and with a service history. Would I be letting my heart rule my head (and potentially be out of pocket with servicing or potential problems? Higher insurance, true, but then the car is mine. I've read H.J's car-by-car for both.

Suggestions/critiques welcome.

Thanks!

AA
Suggestions Please - new car - apple
It all depends what you can afford. Can you afford the repairs, running cost of the big used car. For a car with 75+ it's more likely you will need to replace parts etc fairly soon. What do you need the car for? Get to A to B or for the fun of it and something to tinkle with.
Suggestions Please - new car - Alby Back
Interesting isn't it how differently we all see mileage. I regard anything with fewer than 100k as relatively low mileage. Up to 150k as in the prime of its life and only when it exceeds 200k as becoming possibly careworn but still often with plenty of use left.

Most cars will go a lot further than is commonly imagined with little fuss if they are kept maintained.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 75k car if it was clear it had been properly looked after. As for your current one with 42k it should make someone a very good buy.

Good luck in your hunt !
Suggestions Please - new car - LikedDrivingOnce
Older 3 series diesels suffer from blown turbos a lot, but if you can find one that has already suffered from this failure, and had it replaced you'll be OK, I reckon.
The fuel economy is very good and will keep running costs down. Servicing need not be too much of a problem either, if you can find a good Indy.

The 320d is the one to get. I know the 330d is a good performer, but in most real world situations the 4 cylinder engine is more than enough (plus it feels much less nose heavy).

Good Luck!
Suggestions Please - new car - Avant
My new Octavia belongs to Skoda Finance, my old Z3 to me. The difference doesn't worry me: as in business, the commercial substance takes precedence over the legal form.

More to the point is, as others have said, what you want the car for. The more you want a reliable, economical runabout, the more you want an i10 or something like it. The more you want a fun car, the more you want a BMW or something like it.

There is (at the risk of sounding Blairite) a third way - do what Humph does and get a well-travelled but well-looked after Mondeo. If I remember right, DP is another regular member here who follows this course with good results (Golf and S60).

Edited by Avant on 11/08/2009 at 23:28

Suggestions Please - new car - Avant
Oops, just noticed that this is a rather old thread. AAflyer has probably made his/her decision by now.
Suggestions Please - new car - Alby Back
Good point Avant.....Doh.....

;-)
Suggestions Please - new car - bell boy
apples core is rotten
beware
Ha. Ha..no harm to revive the discussion! I wonder if he will come back and read his post and let us know his decision.

Edited by apple on 11/08/2009 at 23:54

Suggestions Please - new car - aaflyer
Yes, and here he is. Just back from a month in the "Far East" a little browner and certainly lighter, so only checking posts now.

I finally went for the i10 1.2 comfort auto'. After seeing numerous recommendations in the motoring press and HJ's 5 star award on this site, I went ahead with the purchase. After 6 months and 5500 miles I'm very impressed. It's really fun to drive and is tardis-like inside. Don't tell anyone but the car has still got the faintest hint of "new car smell" - must be my new daily shower routine :-)

Niggles? The ABS light has come on once or twice in the first month while running, but I fixed it by stopping, turning the engine off and back on and it disappeared... A little annoying in such a new car and if it happens again it's back to the dealer. Ideas on this are welcome, btw.

Got a good deal on the Punto and I still see it the odd time on the road. Would I swap back. Would I heck!! In fact, even just put a personalised plate on the i10. Now doesn't that issue open up a world of debate in its own right!!

Thank you for all the replies, by the way.

AA
Hello, welcome back. Glad you bought an i10. I am still waiting for mine. Should be here next month.

apple

Snipquote - Please stop the unnecessary quoting, but if you feel you must, then summarise the quoted message and put it before your reply, thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/08/2009 at 14:02

Suggestions Please - new car - Another John H
>>Got a good deal on the Punto and I still see it the odd time on the road.
>>Would I swap back. Would I heck!!

Speaking as a Punto driver, would you please tell me what I'm missing?

That is, comparing the i10 and Punto of that vintage (Mk2? Petrol?)

Apart from £85 out of the wallet on the road tax :)
Suggestions Please - new car - tintin01
OH had his i10 serviced this week for the first time. I can't say what the price was/should be because he signed up for the 3 services deal and pays monthly (total paid for 2 and half years will be around £500.)

I can tell you though that the car park was full of i10's wrapped in plastic, some with buyers names on. There were 3 new Coupes awaiting collection, but the rest were i10's. I didn't see any used ones on the forecourt though.
Suggestions Please - new car - gordonbennet
3 services deal and pays
monthly (total paid for 2 and half years will be around £500.)

Am i reading that right...2 and a half years servicing for £500, i've heard Hyundai servcing can be a little pricey but that seems ludicrous.