Speeding fine - rogthedodge
Could somebody tell me if I am correct in believing that if no camera signs are displayed and you are then caught on a mobile camera speeding, in my case 42 in a 30 limit, the photographic evidence cannot be used as it is in contravention of sections 7 and 55 of the data protection act, whereby a sign must be displayed if members of the public are likely to be photographed or recorded on video.
Thanks for you input.
Roger
Speeding fine - Statistical outlier
Sounds a bit desperate to me. I'm sure that the folks on Pepipoo will let you know for sure, as might DVD on here, but I wouldn't be holding my breath..
Speeding fine - oldnotbold
Sounds like a dodge too far to me.
Speeding fine - harib
I'm waiting here with a bucket of popcorn for the inevitable responses :)
Speeding fine - b308
Surely the mobile camera is just an modern version update of the radar gun - just there to prove your speed!
Speeding fine - billy25
recently watched a documentry on TV whereby one of these civil-rights campaigners was openly videoing Police officers in various public places in London, more than once he was approached and told to stop filming, but he refused, challenged them to state the law he was breaking that prohibited him filming, they couldn't, backed down, and walked away, whilst he filmed them going. So on the grounds of that programme I think I would pay-up, tis easier than looking for straws to clutch.

Billy
Speeding fine - OldSock
So by the same token, should counter-terrorism surveillance be inadmissable - unless, of course, the targets are told in advance.... :-)
Speeding fine - Hamsafar
Nearly all such Acts I have read say something like "except in the detection of crime and prevention of terrorism" or some such exception.
Speeding fine - Jonathan {p}
The difference is overt and covert filming. Covert filming requires RIPA authorisation, overt does not.

Edited by Jonathan {p} on 29/10/2008 at 17:52

Speeding fine - Paul I
I think the fact that the van displays the logo, sort of answers that question. To my knowledge all vans deployed on this rather than ANPR vans have logo's and hi vis markings. But I 'm told it's guidance..nothing more !!
Speeding fine - Peter D
There is now no requirement to display speed camera specific signs or infact to use marked vans. Post this On www.Pepipoo.com and complete the NIP Wizard and add the output to your thread for more information. Regards Peter
Speeding fine - rtj70
But you did see the 30mph signs but decided to do a real 42mph? So in fact the indicated speed a little higher.

I would not want to use this as my defence. You would be best to admit to the offence and attend the magistrates court to give your point of view.

Do you have a reason you could argue why you mistakenly/accidentally were doing 42mph in a 30mph zone? I don't think the lack of signs will help your case - there will have been indications of the speed limit.

Suggest like others you check out pepipoo.com
Speeding fine - Fullchat
I am sure 'uk-geezer' or 'jez-530i' will be along to offer sound advice! Or maybe not.
Their first and only postings all have very similar connections.

Edited by Fullchat on 29/10/2008 at 20:32

Speeding fine - Dwight Van Driver
Urban Myth

dvd
Speeding fine - Ian (Cape Town)
Urban Myth
dvd

But can a copper stop you if he isn't waering his hat? :)
(That's the one which always surfaces in speeding arguments here - Cop isn't wearing a hat? That's an illegal arrest!)
Speeding fine - martint123
Urban Myth

And wishful thinking