1998 1.3 Engine noise - loose air duct ? - Tardy Badger
My 1998 Fiesta (1.3 Endura petrol engine) has been producing even more engine noise than usual - it now makes a sort of mild roaring noise in a particular band of engine speeds. I've had a look under the bonnet, and there seems to be an air duct (I think) that runs from the air filter enclosure to a smaller kind of filter assembly directly above the radiator.

The air duct is flapping around loosely, because the foam washer that fits between the duct and the spigot at the top of the radiator has fallen to pieces. Would this account for the noise? Can anyone tell me what specific parts I should ask for at my friendly local Ford parts desk? Is it just a new foam washer I need, or is there something else that holds the duct in place that has fallen off?

Here are some pictures:

tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16898uh&s=4

tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zl3fpl&s=4

Thanks
1998 1.3 Engine noise - loose air duct ? - hrvoje dagelic
hmmm... Don't think that this can cause roaring; That pipe is loose on my car too; guess that's normal. You should align it and push it so it sits properly. Maybe the roaring occurs because of the failing wheel bearing?
1998 1.3 Engine noise - loose air duct ? - Tardy Badger
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a wheel bearing, as the noise seems to be related only to engine speed, not road speed.

It is a fairly quiet "roar", almost the sort of sound that a loose plastic duct might make when engine vibration hits a resonsant frequency, or at least that was my assumption. I probably need to do more investigation.