Internal loadspace dimensions - clive795
Does anyone know of a website that lists the internal dimensions of cars?

I have just bought a tandem bicycle and am thinking of changing my car so that I can carry it inside.
I currently have a Citreon Berlingo and carry two solo cycles inside but there is not enough length for the tandem (I have started a second post asking about replacing the front passenger seat in the Berlingo)

Any suggestions welcomed.

Clive
Internal loadspace dimensions - b308
Sorry I don't, Clive, but I wish that there was somewhere which gave the accurate figures for both internal and external dimensions - its very frustrating... perhaps we should get HJ to measure all the cars when he does a road test and publish them alongside his report?!

As I've said before I'm in the process of getting a Roomster and I had to have both internal dimensions for carriage of the wheelchair or electric buggy and external to ensure it fiited in our garage...

It was surprising just how difficult to find these dimensions were... even the brochures of some manufacturers didn't have them! The worst was Kia who's Ce'ed's external width including door mirrors were nowhere - eventually the salesman went to find a tape measure to measure it! (It was too wide btw!).

Internal loadspace dimensions - Andrew-T
>both internal and external dimensions<

There never seemed to be any agreement on whether to include external mirrors in measuring width - that was always a bind when allowing for getting into one's garage.
Internal loadspace dimensions - b308
There never seemed to be any agreement on whether to include external mirrors in measuring
width

Most tend to give both, usually in a diagram which is ideal, but not Kia! Their's didn't even say if the width did or didn't include mirrors! Even though I doubted very much that the width quoted did include mirrors as it would have been one heck of a narrow car, I had to check! I know you can fold mirrors in but I can't be bothered doing that every day and I do use them when reversing out of the garage so that wouldn't be an option...

Whilst I'm having a moan why can't some manufacturers allow downloadable brochures instead of insisting they have to send you one in the post?!
Internal loadspace dimensions - stan10
TheAA website ( motoring advice - car buyers guide - car reviews ) but only for cars that they have tested themselves, and they have changed the format of their reports over time, but you may be lucky.
Internal loadspace dimensions - Cliff Pope
Would a quick-release front wheel make the difference?
Internal loadspace dimensions - Ian (Cape Town)
Would a quick-release front wheel make the difference?

A word of warning... don't even THINK of going for a quick release rear wheel on a tandem.
Setting it up again after the wheel has come of is a nightmare!
Internal loadspace dimensions - Baskerville
I have a tandem (two, actually) and the best way to carry it is on the roof. There are several different ways of 'getting it up' but the best one for a tall car like a Berlingo is the Helton carrier:

heltontandemcarrier.co.uk

I've used one of these for years and it's simple and robust.

One of our tandems does fit in the back of our Pug Partner, with both wheels off, but it's a tight squeeze.

Incidentally, for Ian (Cape Town), both our tandems have quick release rear wheels and it's not a problem. The vertical dropout means it can't be misaligned. The only thing that's a bit more tricky is resetting the drag brake cable, but that's easily solved with a cable connector, as used with S&S couplings.

Edited by Baskerville on 22/10/2008 at 10:33

Internal loadspace dimensions - Alby Back
The internal loadspace dimensions question is a subject close to my heart as I have to lug a lot of stuff around and this is one of my main criteria. As has been pointed out it is the one bit of info. which is quite hard to find particularly on discontinued models.

On the supplementary question of why do some/many manufacturers want to send you a brochure rather than make it downloadable. I guess it is a twofold thing. As pieces of marketing lierature they are often quite attractive documents and they are liable to lie around on desks or coffee tables for relatively long periods thus extending the timescale of their ability to "sell" the cars inside. The marketeers also know that such things will not only be seen by the person ordering it but also by the other members of the household who may encourage further interest or action. The second key reason is to get you on a targetted mailing list. Having expressed enough interest to order a brochure you set yourself up as a specifically targetable potential customer. You will then receive follow up material as and when new promotions arise.

I once ordered an Alfa Romeo brochure. I now get invitations to all new product launches at our local dealer. Some might find that annoying but on the contrary, on the odd occasion I get asked if I'd like to borrow one for a weekend I find it hard to be rude enough to refuse ! Made all the more sweet by turning up to collect a Brera or something in my rather "lived in" Mondeo.
Internal loadspace dimensions - Brian Tryzers
I think the mailing list is the crucial point. Marketing types like to know who and how many are taking an interest - however fleeting - in their product. They know that that initial interest is the hardest to generate, and they like to hang onto it, given that a faint chance of a sale - when it's a big item like a car - is better than no chance at all.

As an extreme example of this, I once requested some product literature from a small but prominent British hi-fi company. Since then I've had at least a Christmas card and a couple of newsletters every year, as well as various promotional CDs and brochures for new products. My initial request was in 1991. Have I bought anything in all that time? No.
But, funnily enough, I am now shopping for a new amplifier, and one of their products is at the top of my wish list. We'll see.
Internal loadspace dimensions - boxsterboy
Does anyone know of a website that lists the internal dimensions of cars?

Manufacturers web-sites for current models. Clarkson's long-winded criticism of this type of proper information in road tests means that many motoring editors daren't list it. Which is a shame as it would be a great help to those of us who have to live in the real world.