Computer Related Questions - Volume 165 [ReadOnly] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 166 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 165. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2008 at 00:01

External hard drives - bintang
I need to get more space and plan to plug an external drive into a spare USB slot (I take it I won't need a mains connection for it?). Will I be able to keep it separate, i.e.use it without involving the main drive's capacity please?
External hard drives - mfarrow
Yes, it will show up as a separate drive in My Computer.

Edited by mfarrow on 19/10/2008 at 15:29

External hard drives - Stuartli
You will almost certainly receive a mains adapter with an external hard drive - maximum output of a USB port is only 500mAh.

If and when you buy such a drive you may need to format the file system to NTFS (some come pre-formatted with FAT32); you can choose a drive letter(s) you prefer if necessary after installation from Disk Management in Windows.

An alternative is to use DiskWizard from Seagate/Maxtor. See:

www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwi.../ (works with most hard drives). You can also download the appropriate setup instructions for either ATA or SATA drives.

I chose drive letters well ahead of my current ones as I often plug in a memory card reader which has its own four drive letters running in sequence from a hard drive and two optical drives.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 16:19

External hard drives - rtj70
If you must power via USB then you must buy the smaller 2.5" based external drives. But slower than similarly prices 3.5" units and probably lower capacity for the same money.

If it's a desktop though and you don't need an external drive then adding a second/third/... internal drive is very easy and cheap.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/10/2008 at 16:16

As my Edit button had timed out, the following was omitted:

I chose drive letters well ahead of my current ones as I often plug in a memory card reader which has its own four drive letters running in sequence from a hard drive and two optical drives.

That's true, but my Western Digital 320GB Caviar SE hard drive and 400GB Seagate OneTouch external hard drive, both bought at the same time, were £46 and £53 respectively...:-)

I only use the Seagate for backups.
External hard drives - bintang
Many thanks for the above tips.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 19:33

Security update for ms office failed to download - Dog
I have auto updates from ms switched orf and I always have an update icon upon startup because the security update for powerpoint viewer 2003 fails to download each time I do a manual update.
I ran an update this morning and loadsa updates were installed, but pps still refuses to play the game!
Any ideas would be mucho appreciated.

Dogeye.
Security update for ms office failed to download - cheddar
Powerpoint will be updated by Microsoft Update, not Windows Update.

If it is the former that you are using does it give the the updated number usually KB******? If so Google it.

The icon will always appear if updates are set to notify and there are new updates waiting, notify is the best option IMO, I dont want to be the first to have the updates incase of issues and i want to download them when it suits me.
Nice one chedder, its KB956500 - I'll check it out.

support.microsoft.com/kb/956500
Cheers for your help chedder, I think the prob may lie in the fact that I have XP service pack 3 installed so I need to acquire pps 2007.
Powerpoint 2003 should be fine with XP SP3, There are various service packs for Office 2003, try downloading the latest, SP3 I think.

If that does not work then remove Powerpoint 2003 (or perhaps the whole office suit) and reload it and then download the service pack.

Thanks chedder - I'll try that layder on, I'd better go and do some work now :)

Dog.
Security update for ms office failed to download - Stuartli
My MS Office security and other updates, including those for PowerPoint, arrive during the normal WindowsUpdate each second Tuesday in the month.

I have XP SP3 installed, both the last Release Candidate and then the Final version from when they were released and have had no problems with either version.

If you wish to check on the latest Security updates from Microsoft, including being able to download them manually if necessary, see:

www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

I do have WindowsUpdate configured to Notify Me Of New Updates But Not to Install Them. By clicking on the yellow icon you can select Custom and then choose or reject any updates.

After OK-ing thse, click on Do Not Notify Me Again of Updates (i.e. the ones you have rejected).
>>My MS Office security and other updates, including those for PowerPoint, arrive during the normal WindowsUpdate each second Tuesday in the month.>>

For Office updates you need Microsoft Updates enabled, not just Windows Updates.
Security update for ms office failed to download - Stuartli
They are all detailed in Belarc Advisor...:-)
'home' web design packages - borasport20
Long ago and far away, I used to have a website, which I created with a package called NOF - Net Objects Fusion, an all in one wysiwyg package. I've not updated the website for (quite) a while, and I'm wondering what's the latest in terms of fairly simple Web design packages.

The website doesn't need to do anything flashy - www.mikes-walks.co.uk so I'm looking for something that is cheap/free but is predominantly easy to use - did try Dreamweaver once but I just didn't get on with it
'home' web design packages - geoff1248
There is a free download from Serif of their simple web design package Serif WebPlus SE. Nice and easy to use and free. It will even upload your web site once you've designed it.
'home' web design packages - pmh
I use Dreamweaver 8 which is a marked improvement over v4! However there is a big step in the learning curve which caused me significant problems when I started. Every now and then, (maybe due to failing intellectual capability or memory?) I find myself at the bottom of the step again! I dont know why, but there is something about Dreamweaver that makes it somewhat non-intuitive at times. It is well worth while setting up a common template where you have a multi page site, and cascading style sheets ( which I see you appear to have used on your existing site).

pmh
Cookies - bintang
How can I display a list of cookies in Windows XP please? Using the Search facility merely returns a "file not found" message.
Cookies - rtj70
Where they are stored depends on which browser you use. On IE6 for example they will usually be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\ \Cookies

where is the user you're looking for.
Cookies - Dynamic Dave
Tools - Internet Options. On the general tab, click on "Settings" in the browsing history bit, then when the next box appears click on "view files"
Cookies - jbif
How can I display a list of cookies in Windows XP please? >>

Install the well regarded crapcleaner: CCleaner v2.12.660 - Slim
www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

It will display all the cookies and other crap on your computer and let you choose what to keep and what to clean.

Cookies - L'escargot
CCleaner v2.12.660 - Slim

What's the difference between that version and the "ordinary" free version that I have?

Edited by L'escargot on 25/10/2008 at 08:24

Cookies - cheddar
That is the latest free version, I updated to it about three weeks ago.
Cookies - L'escargot
That is the latest free version I updated to it about three weeks ago.

I've just checked for an update and what I've got is the latest version, but there's no mention of the word "Slim".
Cookies - cheddar
Sorry, yes there are different versions, look at the link jbif posted:

www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

IMO no reason to go for the slim version.
Cookies - bintang
Is it safe to tick the Advanced items (left foot of the window that first comes up) e.g. Tray Notification Cache, User Assist History and Custom Files & Folders (I have no idea what they are!)?
Cookies - bintang
Should have said < >.
Cookies - bintang
Should have said:

tick for deletion.
Cookies - Stuartli
Be careful, as a newcomer to it, what you let CCleaner loose on - do a System Restore first just in case...:-)
Cookies - jbif
.. what I've got is the latest version, but there's no mention of the word "Slim".

Latest version
CCleaner v2.13.720 - Slim - No Toolbar
[slim means it is without the embedded yahoo toolbar found in the standard version].

www.ccleaner.com/download/version-history
Changes in CCleaner 2.13.720:
- Added support for Firefox 3.1.
- Added right-click cleaning and analysis for individual items in the tree.
- Added icons to tree parent items.
- Added cleaning for Windows Error Reporting files.
- Added Include/Exclude list editing.
- Improved TypeLib registry cleaning.
- Fixed Index.dat bug that could cause a crash.
- Fixed bug with INI warning messages.
- Internal architecture improvements.
- Fixed minor GUI errors.

Edited by jbif on 27/10/2008 at 12:32

Cookies - cheddar
CCleaner v2.13.720 - Slim - No Toolbar
[slim means it is without the embedded yahoo toolbar found in the standard version].

The full version is only a 2.8MB download and you can deselect the Yahoo tool bar at install.
Can't type loWer case W on my son's Mac - Nsar
Tried 2 keyboards and no joy and given that my preferred passWord involves a W it's driving me bonkers and I can't get past logons that are case sensitive.
Weirdly When I log on, it seems to be fine.

I cannot tell you hoW much I loathe this Mac!
Can't type loWer case W on my son's Mac - Baskerville
First things first, what version of OS X is it? 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5?

Second thing, whatever version it is, have you tried repairing permissions and checking the physical integrity of the disk using disk utility?
Can't type loWer case W on my son's Mac - Nsar
Thanks for the reply.
I'm running Leopard.
In answer to your questions, no and no. If you could give me a couple of pointers on how to do this I'd be grateful, I find Macs so counter intuituive and I'm lost without a right click!

Can't type loWer case W on my son's Mac - Baskerville
If you need right click, plug in any USB mouse with more thsn one button. If it's a laptop, ctrl-click is what you need.

To get disk utility, go cmd-space, then in the Spotlight window that appears in the top right of the screen, type 'disk'. Disk Utility will show up at the top of the subsequent list. Click on it and the rest should be obvious.

Better still, with Leopard, try Onyx (free), which allows you to run a lot of deep-level Unix analysis and maintenance routines very easily (it can take a long time to run these and it should be left alone to do it):

www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Many of these routines are done automatically by OS X at a specified time, but I'll bet you haven't specified a time when the machine is normally running and the default is something like 2am.

If that doesn't fix it you'll have to try one of the Mac forums. I recall an issue like this with the first version of OS X but haven't come across it with Leopard (or indeed Panther or Tiger before it). Before you do any of this, make sure the machine is fully updated (click the apple logo in the top left corner and then 'Software Update'.
Dell inspiron 6000 - Paul Robinson
My wife's lap top - running XP Home - has started to not connect to our wireless network after it hibernates. All our other computers are connecting fine. Sometimes a reboot gets it to connect and sometime selecting 'repair' option does, but not always. Any suggestions please?
Dell inspiron 6000 - mfarrow
Is your router set up as a 'favourite' (or whatever it's called) connection? There'll be a connection list sorted in preference. Maybe someone's turned a WAP on nearby and it's made it to the top of the list.
Can't update AVG, Spybot, Adaware etc - PhilW
I had a trojan invade my laptop last week. Have done all sorts of clean-ups using the above programs and seem to have got rid of the trojan but when I try to update the programs I get messages to the effect that connection to server cannot be made. I have uninstalled AVG 3 times and reinstalled it but still cannot update.
I have also tried system restore to various dates but after I choose a date to restore to' clicking "next" to start the restore has no effect.
Any suggestions??
By the way, can't remember the name of the trojan and don't know where it came from.
I use XP, it's a Packard Bell Easynote laptop. Also has Spyware blaster installed.
Thanks for any help as always
Phil
Oh, and I've just discovered that "Disk defragmenter" does not work anymore - I just get a message "Disk Defragmenter could not start"
How does one re-install this type of program when it doesn't come with a disk? Is there a way of re-installing Windows XP from scratch?
There isn't much saved on this laptop that isn't already on my desktop and an external hard drive.
Can't update AVG, Spybot, Adaware etc - Stuartli
New version of Trojan Remover now out (30 day trial offer):

www.majorgeeks.com/Trojan_Remover_d903.html

I use Avast! as my AV - after a quiet spell regarding the pests, it now stops two or three Trojans a week at present.

The beauty is that it updates itself automatically and provides both written and vocal notice that it has done so.

See:

www.avast.com

If, by any chance, you download and install it (freeware version), make sure you state it is for home use when registering (this extends the three months registration period to just over a year).
Thanks Stuart.
I have noted in the past that you use avast - unfortunately at the moment I cannot connect to any download site to download avast - I just get message that "this page is currently unavailable " whether I go through avast.co or various other websites - "Computeractive" for instance. Nearly the same with AVG - can't go directly to AVG website but have got it via Computeractive.
It's almost as if the "trojan" has put a stop to any anti-virus/spyware websites!!
Will try the Trojan Remover now and let you know.
Thanks again
Phil
If you know someone with an internet connection, why not download what you require and transfer it to a pen drive or memory card (plus memory card reader)?

You can then install it (them) onto your system.
Stuart,
OK, will try that from my desktop.
Managed to download Trojan Remover from about the 6th site I tried - couldn't do it from your link, was just told that the directory to install it to couldn't be found.
TR found a couple of things and got rid of them but it does not seem to have made a great deal of difference.
Still can't update any of the other anti-spyware stuff and am still being told that "disk defragmenter could not load"

Is there any way of just going back to "factory defaults" and starting over?
Getting a bit fed up with this state of affairs after a week of it! Very frustrating to a technotit like me!

Thanks for help
Phil
Can't update AVG, Spybot, Adaware etc - jbif
... It's almost as if the "trojan" has put a stop to any anti-virus/spyware websites!!

I suspect it has put these sites in yours "hosts" file:
In your file explorer, go to
C: > WINDOWS > system32 > drivers > etc
[ etc is the name of a real genuine sytem folder ! ]
There you will see a file named "hosts". Rename it to something like "hosts-renamed" or whatever, and then see if you can now access your blocked websites.

If you can gain access, you will know that the hosts file was the culprit. To repair it, you can
1. either open it in a text editor such as wordpad or notepad, and search for the entries which are blocking the sites in question,
2. or use a copy of a the same file from another XP computer
Is there any way of just going back to "factory defaults" and starting over?

tinyurl.com/6om57d
or
www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showth...1
Do you have access to XP install CDs? You will also need your laptop's licence key.

Edited by jbif on 26/10/2008 at 22:18

Agree with the hosts file suggestion, but would avoid using a Recovery disk if at all possible and do an XP Repair instead.

How to do it is explained at:

www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you do undertake a Repair, make sure that you don't select Recovery Console in error, only Repair; you may have to keep selecting Install until you can decide about the Repair option.
Can't update AVG, Spybot, Adaware etc - freddy1
if you are able to get internet access (or a pendrive) , please try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from www.malwarebytes.org/products.php , i,ve found this one very good at getting rid of things that spybot/adaware cannot
Thanks for replies - got an early start tomorrow so off to bed now - will try the various suggestions tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Phil
Vista & Facebook problems - audiA6tdi
Ive just upgraded to Windows Vista. Now when i use Facebook i cant use the 'chat' function - the people are online but when i type something in to chat with someone and press return the text dissapears.
Also when viewing photo gallerys sometimes it will take ages to load the next picture - up to 10 mins when i just left the pc to make a cup of tea!
It sounds like its a plugin problem like flash or java but they are both installed and working correctly.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Vista & Facebook problems - Citroënian {P}
Vista isn't great. I'd try making sure your software is all up to date (Java updates, Flash updates, Windows updates).

If they're all sorted and it's still not working, try installing Firefox, update that and see if it's any better using FF.

Facebook uses some very recent technology on its pages which in some ways is good but for example, the technology doesn't work too well on mobile Safari on my iPod touch.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/10/2008 at 23:03

Vista & Facebook problems - Stuartli
One of my offspring is an IT support consultant for one of the UK's largest employers, whose views on Vista are generally scathing, to put it mildly.
Vista & Facebook problems - jbif
.. Windows Vista. Now when i use Facebook i cant use the 'chat' function

Problem may be due to Facebook chat software/drivers issues, rather than Vista.
.. IT support consultant for one of the UK's largest employers, whose views on Vista are generally scathing, to put it mildly.

I think that says more about his job than Vista. The clue to his problems may be in the words "UK's largest employers". [Not the gubermint by any chance? Even if it is in the private sector, the clue still holds].

Vista is not backwards compatible with many legacy systems/software/hardware that many large Companies just do not have the need or the cash to replace.
On the other hand, those who install everything new [from private individuals to small companies] have found that Vista has been stable at a far earlier stage of its life than any MS OS since windows 98. It is easy to forget how long it took for XP to be accepted to be a good and stable OS since it first went on sale.

[If Vista is so bad, IT support guys should really love Vista as it creates employment for them!].

Edited by jbif on 27/10/2008 at 10:01

Vista & Facebook problems - mfarrow
It is easy to forget how long it
took for XP to be accepted to be a good and stable OS since it
first went on sale.

XP was well regarded as soon as it went on sale as the new stable platform for running windows. Microsoft finally stripped out the 'shell in a shell' subsystem approach that went back to Windows 1.0, and put NT into a media-friendly family PC for the first time.

There's nothing breathtakingly awesome about Vista, which is why people aren't going out there way to buy it.

IMHO the best three releases of Microsoft home PC OS have been 3.1, 95 and XP.
Vista & Facebook problems - Altea Ego
Windows Vista with its SP1 is as stable as any XP install, and considerably more secure.,

Now that more companies have hardware capable of running it, OEM software vendors are writing software for it, and Sp1 has come along, most companies are running trials and planning to roll it out.

I suggest stuartli's son learns to love it or he wont have a job.
>>I suggest stuartli's son learns to love it or he wont have a job.>>

Er, actually he will...:-)

The remarks arise from people's personal use, rather than a business environment.

I've had XP Pro for several years and it's the most stable OS I've used over what is a considerable period of time.
Vista & Facebook problems - cheddar
Tend to agree with Stuartli and SP3 has both extended XP's life and its advantages over Vista.
Vista will likely be old hat in the not too distant future in any case - its replacement, Windows 7, formerly tagged Blackcomb and then Vienna, has been underway for some time.

Don't forget either than Microsoft and, for example, Dell bowed to pressure from many businesses wishing to stick with XP rather than move to Vista. Hence the final support date for XP has been put back.

Edited by Stuartli on 27/10/2008 at 13:43

Vista & Facebook problems - Baskerville
Windows 7 product announcement:

gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/14/microsoft-announ...l
Baskerville

Nice one..:-)
Baskerville
Nice one..:-)

>>

And it wil be three years late!................
And it wil be three years late!................

If it's on schedule I'll open source my hat.
Tend to agree with Stuartli and SP3 has both extended XP's life and its advantages
over Vista.

SP3 has changed nothing - it was a packaged roll-up of previous fixes

Its adavntages over vista are? (apart from being able to run on old hardware, people dont make money on old hardware )
XP SP3 is more than simply a bundle of previous fixes. In addition to Network Access Protection protocols which gives XP SP3 the same compatibilty with Server 2008 as Vista has and thus makes it even more appealing to corporate users who were reluctant to move to Vista (and has also made Server 2008 more appealing to corporates that might be / had been looking at Linux servers).

Also it is said that numerous refinements speed up the OS and make it a little less memory intensive to the extent that it can run up to 20% faster than XP SP2 on some systems, and XP SP2 was already typically faster than Vista.

It is true that MS have tried to keep Vista as the "premium product" by, for instance not including IE7 within SP3 (though most who download SP3 will already have IE7) though the inclusion of the NAP protocols is a clear acknowledgment that Vista does not cover all bases.

Edited by cheddar on 27/10/2008 at 16:39

I've had XP Pro for several years and it's the most stable OS I've used over what is a considerable period of time

IMO - It was only after SP2 that the multitude of BSODs were got rid of.
not including IE7 within SP3

AFAIK - The reasons for that are legal [ EU and US anti-trust suits ], and nothing to do with trying to "keep Vista as the "premium product"". However, consumers are free then to install IE7 or Firefox or Opera, thereby getting around the legal limitations.

Edited by jbif on 27/10/2008 at 17:05

>>IMO - It was only after SP2 that the multitude of BSODs were got rid of.>>

My comment relates to both before and after SP2 - the sheer bliss of not having to sort out, for instance, Windows 98 and 98SE on a regular basis is still fondly remembered.
AFAIK - The reasons for that are legal [ EU and US anti-trust suits ] >>

I dont think so, after all IE7 is bundled with Vista. And XP N etc was made available to get around media player anti trust issues.
I dont think so, after all IE7 is bundled with Vista

This claims to give the real reason:
blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3....x
"If you are currently running IE7 on XPSP2, Windows Update will offer you XPSP3 as a high priority update. If you choose to install XPSP3, Internet Explorer 7 will remain on your system after the install is complete. Your preferences will be retained. However, you will no longer be able to uninstall IE7. If you go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, the Remove option will be grayed out.
If you install IE7 after you install XPSP3, then you will be able to uninstall IE7 at any point and be reverted to the newer IE6 version that ships in XPSP3. "
I've just checked your observation regarding IE7 - you are perfectly correct...:-)

However, the few additional features added to SP3, apart from covering all the previous updates to the time of its release, are of little consequence to most XP users.

Interestingly, some of the WindowsUpdate updates for a couple of months or so after SP3 was made available in Final form were stated to already be on your system if you had installed SP3.
However you will no longer be able to uninstall IE7. If you go to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs the Remove option will be grayed out.
If you install IE7 after you install XPSP3 then you will be able to uninstall IE7 at any point and be reverted to the newer IE6 version that ships in XPSP3. "

jbif, I dont think that explains why IE7 is not bundled with SP3, yes it is true that you can remove IE7 though you can uninstall SP3 itself and revert to SP2 which enables you to revert to IE6 and still get all security updates etc so the choice is still there.
XP SP3 is more than simply a bundle of previous fixes. In addition to Network
Access Protection protocols which gives XP SP3 the same compatibilty with Server 2008 as Vista
has and thus makes it even more appealing to corporate users who were reluctant to
move to Vista (and has also made Server 2008 more appealing to corporates that might
be / had been looking at Linux servers).

Of no consequence - no-one is rolling out server 2008

Also it is said that numerous refinements speed up the OS and make it a
little less memory intensive to the extent that it can run up to 20% faster

20% faster? ROFL- it is said It is also said the earth is flat by some people - both are rubbish and even denied by microsoft

Lets see what MS says about SP3 shall we?

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers? experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

Now as they make it - i think they know about what they speak.

Microsoft is in a tricky position. On the one hand Vista was horrible at release and a lot of people lost confidence in MS. Many of those early adopters still have the underpowered hardware they started with and for them Vista is still horrible, but Ubuntu Linux runs very well indeed. On the other it wants its existing customers who have XP to believe it is behaving responsibly and supportively by continuing to keep XP updated. It needs to sell Vista, and later Windows 7, so it can't do anything to XP to make it better. In fact in its current business model Microsoft would be insane to expend any energy on improving XP beyond security updates. The enormous Netbook market must be a nightmare, since XP has suddenly been pressed into service again out of necessity on the less powerful hardware.
Having just evaluated a dell inspiron mini net book, I have to say that its underpowered even for XP

Netbooks are made for linux territory,
Lets see what MS says about SP3 shall we?

Yes marketing speak, they want to keep Vista as the perceived premium product though at the same time enhance XP because they recognise that Vista either doesnt cover all bases or doesnt warrant the cost to upgrade/relearn.
Vista & Facebook problems - Citroënian {P}
Well, that's the platform wars at a pause - did the OP get Facebook working in the end then?

:-)
Is PC Check any good? - tyro
More on diagnosing the cause of a crash . . .continued from several CRQs.

Despite having ticked the appropriate boxes, no minidumps have been created, and crashes keep on happening.

I contacted the vendors, who replied: "Have you tried re-installing the Operating System? If not that would be your first thing to try. Otherwise have you tried running some diagnostic software e.g. PC Check on the machine to locate any hardware issues?"

Re-installing the OS will obviously need to be tried soon, but what about this "PC Check" thing? Is it any good? Are there better (or cheaper) alternatives for locating hardware problems?
Is PC Check any good? - geoff1248
Why are you avoiding re-installing the operating system? The vendors have suggested it and you yourself say that it will "obviously need to be tried soon". A re-install will rule out a load of possible causes for the crashes. Re-install the O/s.
Is PC Check any good? - smokie
Yep I agree. It's sometimes a PITA to do, but so long as you have backed up everything you need then it shouldn't be too onerous. I would say the time would be better spent doing that than running any diagnostic tool.
Is PC Check any good? - tyro
I'm sure you are right - but was curious about this PC Check thing.

>>Why are you avoiding re-installing the operating system?

It's my wife's computer (as I mentioned on previous posts) and I'm not allowed to touch it with my grubby paws.
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - tyro
I've got a 10 year old Toshiba laptop, and I suspect that the battery is running down. (I always run it attached to the mains, and for the past couple of days, it is telling me that battery is at 3% and charging.)

Anyway, I've looked at replacements on the web, and prices vary considerably.

Are all these batteries of similar quality, or are some better than others?

Has anyone any recommendations which site I ought to buy from?

Thanks
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - Flipper_whqttt
If you always run it plugged into the mains, why are you bothering to buy a new battery (it doesn't need it if it's plugged in)?

There's bound to be some variance in quality, but they would all do pretty much the same job. Check the rating, though, some might have a higher mA rating which means they would run for longer - they'd be more expensive, obviously.

I haven't bought a laptop battery this way, but have bought cheap digital camera batteries, and they've all be fine (and a fraction of the official cost).

Phil
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - smokie
There are different numbers of cells in laptop batteries, the higher the number of cells the longer they will last off mains. Don't know a lot about it, I'm sure Google can help. But, as above, if you solely use it on mains then why bother?
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - tyro
if you solely use it on mains then why bother?

Handy in event of a power cut.
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - rtj70
But how often do you get a power cut. You won't be surfing the net in a power cut either ;-)
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - Pugugly
My lappie will run he web tethered to my Nokia N73 acting as a functional (if rather expensive) modem.
Are replacement laptop batteries much the same? - cheddar
Chances are the local relay station would be out as well so you may not get a mobile signal, however if the laptop has a dial up modem you can still use the phone line.
Explorer problem... after updates?? - M.M
Any help on this one much appreciated...

Newish HP desktop running Vista Home Premium. McAfee virus/spyware program up to date as are all Vista and driver updates.

A few days ago noticed sometimes explorer would not open folders... just get the window come up but all white with no content shown. Now got to be almost unuseable as only the first couple of attempts to open a folder work after each re-start of the PC. After a couple of sucesses it goes back to opening the blank box.

There have been loads of auto updates from Microsoft over the last week or so... that makes me wonder??

Can't seem to find much on the net to help. Looked at system restore but it only goes back to yesterday when the problem was still there.

Thanks,

David
Explorer problem... after updates?? - jbif
Can't seem to find much on the net to help

I assume you are referring to "Windows Explorer" [file manager].

Try this: support.microsoft.com/kb/q192315/

Or, when you next open Windows Explorer successfully, go to
tools > folder-options > view > apply-to-all-folders > OK
Close the window, and then retest to see if the problem occurs ever again.

Edited by jbif on 02/11/2008 at 12:10

Explorer problem... after updates?? - M.M
Thanks for the link and ideas. Yes I do mean Explorer as in the file manager. Tried going into tools re the view/apply to all folders and no change. The Microsoft support site has loads including the link you mention but much of it is for pre-Vista problems.

My PC is trying to apply an auto update most days now and this has been going on for a week. Perhaps coincidence but wondered if it is failing to load an update it needs re this issue??

David
Explorer problem... after updates?? - jbif
Perhaps coincidence but wondered if it is failing to load an update it needs re this issue??

1. Do you know which update kb number is failing to install?

I suggest you install and run this free Microsoft Tool:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184923.aspx
"Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy-to-use tool that helps .. determine .. security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common security misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems."

2. Also, check for HP updates here:
welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html

3. Check/Fix your lack of restore points:
www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/ [see 5th item under "system administration].

4. google: download Windows6.0-KB932406-x86.msu
Does that hotfix solve the problem?

5. Another option is to try to replace the "explorer.exe" file from another Vista PC
www.computercare.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2284

6. Reinstall/repair Vista using
a. Microsoft method as here: support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
b. You might need to restore your PC to factory condition using HP's recovery manager:
Click Start , PC Help & Tools , and then Recovery Manager .
In the Recovery Manager, click Advanced Options to view a list of Recovery Manager tools.
vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options...m

Explorer problem... after updates?? - Stuartli
Missing security updates can also be found using Belarc Advisor (it's a US government requirement apparently that computer system security is up to date).

www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Explorer problem... after updates?? - crunch_time
Not used Explorer for years - Power Desk is far superior IMO.

What's this likely to be? - Screwloose
Following the forum problems over the weekend with the chip maxed-out for hours and a slight smell of burning; my poor, overworked, PC has suffered some sort of nervous breakdown.

At any point from a couple of minutes to half an hour after re-boot [longer from a cold start] the screen completely freezes. No reaction to any input by mouse or keyboard; no Ctl, Alt, Del; no HDD light on - nothing - the only option is the reset button.

It's not IE-related, as it can happen before going online; sometimes it even locks up in bluescreen while trying to shutdown. Seems to happen when the chip has to do any sort of work.

May not be related; but I changed ISP on Friday and added a wireless card - which won't connect.... [Madasafish - utter disappointment; even worse than BT Business!!]

What do I need to do to fix it? New CPU?

Home-built system ['05] with Asus A8V; Athlon 64 939 3.7Gig; 4G RAM; MS wireless keyboard and mouse; Neovo screen; XP3/IE7/AVG/Spybot/Kerio firewall.

Edited by Screwloose on 03/11/2008 at 18:00

What's this likely to be? - rtj70
It sounds like overheating CPU but it seems to recover. Might the fan and/or heatsink have a problem.

Trouble with the Athlon 939pin socket is there aren't any new ones - if you find stock it could cost. And then you would find the AM2 socket motherboard you need might need new memory too.

I don't like the sound of a slight smell of burning though.
What's this likely to be? - mfarrow
There are several reasons why a computer would freeze, with other reasons being bad memory or a power supply problem.

But first, take out the card you added on Friday - it could be competing for resources with something.

I wouldn't condemn the CPU yet. A CPU shouldn't overheat to the extent that you smell burning, even worked hard, unless there's something fundamentally wrong or missing with the cooling. Does the CPU fan run? Try keeping the case cover off and see what happens. Have you been overclocking?

For power supplies, check the voltages on the ATX plug into the motherboard are reasonable (ideally should be at or slightly above stated voltage). Also look for damaged components, e.g. burst electrolytic capacitors. Whilst you're using up an evening you might as well unplug and reconnect the power cables with a spray of IPA.

Memory can only be checked by replacing with some known good stuff.

Edited by mfarrow on 03/11/2008 at 18:57

What's this likely to be? - Stuartli
Also check that fans, including that of the CPU, are not covered in dust and that the fans themselves are actually working...:-)

Thanks for the ideas chaps. The CPU heatsink is the standard huge AMD one, plenty of compound applied at build and the fan is working normally. [Not sure if "Cool and Quiet" is enabled or not?] The 450W PSU's fans; extra case fan and the graphics card fan are operational too - and it was only 8 degrees in here yesterday. Dust is an ever-present problem and may have been the source of the smell - but the heat-sink fins are not visibly obstructed.

No overclocking and, now the site has settled down, the CPU usage is only 2% - does that rule out a wireless card issue? [The card is working normally and can detect the router - just won't connect through it, even though I've got the security right? Their wireless dongle won't connect either.]

I can keep an eye on the workings through the, very sad, clear panel on the side of the very tarty case. [Verre V770 with the colour-changing "water" tubes - it was so trashy I just had to have one.]

So if I replace the CPU and the RAM, that would stand a reasonable chance of fixing it?
What's this likely to be? - Pugugly
[Verre V770 with the colour-changing "water" tubes - it was so trashy I just had to have one.]

Here begins another Backroom Legend I fear.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/11/2008 at 20:51

What's this likely to be? - NorfolkDriver
No overclocking and now the site has settled down the CPU usage is only 2%
- does that rule out a wireless card issue? [The card is working normally and
can detect the router - just won't connect through it even though I've got the
security right? Their wireless dongle won't connect either.]

Although you have the security "right", have you tried removing the security and attempted to connect?

Some cards/dongles dont like WPA security and the most they will ever give is WEP. As I say, try without security first.

So if I replace the CPU and the RAM that would stand a reasonable chance
of fixing it?

With a new M/board, Hard drive and case there is a fair chance you may crack this one :)

As was said earlier, the 939 socket is hard to come by nowadays so it may not be as easy as you think.
As was said earlier the 939 socket is hard to come by nowadays so it
may not be as easy as you think.

Fortunately; there are still some, allegedly genuine, 4Gb ones on fleabay for £33. The PC3200 RAM is only £14 now - one-tenth of what it was when I bought the originals. Now was it parity, or non-parity I used....?

[I forgot to mention the HDDs; there are five of them.]
What's this likely to be? - mfarrow
So if I replace the CPU and the RAM that would stand a reasonable chance
of fixing it?

Have you checked the PSU voltages are in spec? Don't be too assured by the "450W" and italics writing on the box.

The card could still be the problem. Take it out, and/or make sure you have the correct and up to date drivers for your hardware, including sound/graphics/modem etc. If you have an old 56k modem in there rip it out as well.

A computer-nerdy friend of mine worked at a computer store a few years back. There were memorable instances of updating the graphics card drivers to fix the soundcard ...

There's no point throwing parts at it unless you're sure.
What's this likely to be? - smokie
Paging disk isn't almost full is it? (swapfile)