97 2.0 Car wont start - mogam2000
Hi

I accidently drove over a bump recently with my 97 306 XSi . No initial damage to the under carriage was immediatly evident. Even after driving 70 miles home, the car seemed fine. The next morning however, after starting the car fine and driving for a mile the engine cut-out. I had it towed to a garage where the mechanic said that my sump was cracked and that the Peugeot 306 was designed to force the engine to cut out if oil loss occured so as to avoid further damage.

The mechanic replaced the sump; and here it gets interesting. The car failed to start. The mechanic first demanded payment for replacing the sump before investigating further. Has anyone ever had oil loss that resulted in an engine cut out without having had valve damage? If so, is there an engine mechanism or electric fault that just needs to be reset?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
97 2.0 Car wont start - Screwloose

Interesting indeed.... So when it cut out; was there any oil left in the sump, or had it dripped out overnight?

Did the oil light come on? Was there engine damage? Did it crank over OK?

What did the garage diagnose as the cause of the cut-out - low oil isn't likely.

Anyone checked the inertia switch? Where does the valve damage come in - has the cam-belt broken?

What's the engine code - this is a change year. What letter comes after RF...T, V, Y, or X in the VIN number.
97 2.0 Car wont start - mogam2000
Yes there was oil in the sump; when the engine cut out a puddle of oil had accumulated on ground while waiting for the tow truck.

Yes the oil light came on.

Havent checked for engine damage. I had the car towed home after the sump was replaced. Intend getting a second opinion before going ahead with any further work.

The mechanic said the engine cut out because it had lost oil.

Where is the interior switch located? Is this something that I can check for myself?

Havent determined if the cam-belt is broken.

Engine code? Should I take the car to a Peugeot dealership for a diagnostic check?
97 2.0 Car wont start - Screwloose
So the oil light was on when you were driving?

The engine code is in the VIN number; look for RF - and then post the next letter.

The inertia switch is a square [red?] rubber button on the N/S strut behind the battery.

Edited by Screwloose on 18/10/2008 at 02:10