07 2.0 TDCI servicing & warranty - shesmurf
Hello, looking for a bit of advice. We bought our focus in April with 21000 on the clock and were told it had the 3year manufacturers warranty. We were told to bring it in after 12k miles fo a service. Went to the garage yesterday to enquire and was told that it would be £210 which seems really excessive to me since another Ford dealer told my other half it would be around £130. Is £210 too much?
Secondly the girl on the desk told us our car had missed a service as the previous owner didn't get the 12.5K done and the first was when the garage received it at 21K so we would be looking at getting the 37.5K service. I said we'd be as well waiting until the car got to 37.5K rather than getting one now and she told me it would affect our warranty.
Surely we should have been told that when we bought the car as we could have rectified the problem before now.
Do you have to take the car to the dealer for servicing during the warranty period or is it valid with any reputable qualified mechanic? Unless it will impact on my warranty I very much doubt we will have the sevice done at Ford as I have a perfectly good local mechanic who charges less than half of what Ford qouted.

any info appreciated, thanks.
07 2.0 TDCI servicing & warranty - Paul G1pdc
are you sure about the warrenty....what the salesman usually means is:-
1 year manf. warrenty.
and
2 years dealer warrenty...
basically any little rattle and sqeak in the first year great its covered...
in years 2 and 3. unless the gearbox casting cracks through poor design your at the good will of the dealer....
a lot of garages say "oh yes the car will be fully serviced"...hmm take this with a pinch of salt, what it generally means is we will change the oil, and thats your lot...
its up to the buyer to insist that the service is as per hand book and stamp your service book to suit....rather thans a pre-sales service....
07 2.0 TDCI servicing & warranty - TurboD
I would be a bit worried at missing the first service. 12.5K is far too long anyway to wait for an oil change, to an old hand.
But I got a Mondy from a dealer at 14K and it had just had its first service- typical renter- then you need to pick up on the normal services per the book.
That is the second year would be the 25K and the third year the 37.5K. That way the car will get back on track. Otherwise you are not on the Ford replacement by age/milage.
£210 would be a main dealer price for Ford.
As for warranty- well luckliy my petrol 2l did not need any in the three years, but with a diesel I would keep any warranty up.
07 2.0 TDCI servicing & warranty - Hemi
No you dont have to take any car whether its new or secondhand to a dealer whikst its still under warranty,google BER act 2003 and read it for yourself.The main dealers wont tell you this fact but if you question them they have to tell you the truth.I bought my car new and it had a 3 yr warranty,I never once let the dealerships service it but it went back 3 times for warranty work with no questions asked

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2008 at 19:32