Experian - Andy P
My VW Golf came with an "Experian" report stating that my car only had one previous owner, hadn't been stolen, etc. The VW dealer also told me it had one previous owner, but the V5 states that it had two previous owners! Why should I believe any aspect of the Experian report when it gets the most obvious information wrong?! Has anyone else discovered such glaring errors on an Experian report? (It doesn't bother me that my car has had two previous owners just that Experian can be so wrong.)
Re: Experian - Gwyn Parry
I've has the experian experience......

A junk mail envelope arrived at my home (of which I have been the sole occupier under its name) the address was fully correct. I noticed that the letter was addressed to a person I had never heard of. I sent a letter to the originator of the mailing. After having to threaten them with a complaint to the Banking Ombudsman and Data Protection Registrar they told me that their mailing list was brought in from Experian. I wrote to them and received a bland reply which in way answered my question and they attached a copy of my Credit Rating record...which proved nothing other than top lead me to suspect that they must be a firm with dodgy record keeping. (allegedly , of course).
Re: Experian - honest john
Under the tems of The Data Protection Act you can demand to see what records organisations such as Experian and HPI have on you.

HJ
Re: Experian - Martin
"cloning" does not just happen to cars.

If you move and the new owner/tenant decides he or she will assume your name and run up a load of bills it is very difficult to get your credit record put right.

I do a bit of voluntary workat a local CAB and have seen a number of people who have been "cloned" One poor soul went abroad for a few years and when he returned could not understand why he could not get a mortgage,credit card etc. Took ages to get the records sorted.

Also there was a case in the papers a month or two back where ,it was alleged, an ex bobby had cloned someone and used his (ex-bobby) OAP Mum as the address for all the gear he ordered on credit.

Due to this I send for my credit record yearly (cost is £2) to make sure I am still living where I thought I was :-)

One of the other scams is to indentify a credit-worthy person and "move" him or her to an address where all the gear can be delivered.

I think the various lenders are now thinking of writing to old & new addresses to forstall this scam.

Martin
Re: Experian - Andrew Hamilton
Made me think. I just phoned up my bank to change my address. No problem, no questions and statements arrived at the new address. If someone else had done it I would have thought that the first missing one was lost in the post.

Regretfully some postal suppliers ask me for the delivery address which could be different to my credit card address. I point out how unsafe it is, but doubt they take any notice....
Re: Experian - Nicholas Moore
AmEx card holders can only have goods delivered to their card address, or another address that they have cleared with AmEx first.
Re: Experian - John Slaughter
Which I thought should be the case for all Credit cards - but regretably it's not!

Regards

John
Re: Experian - Gwyn Parry
I visited their website after reading this thread...worth a visit. Especially their self trumpeting about their supply of factual information...makes you wonder. No doubt my credit cards will self combust and I'll have the baliffs at the door after my on-line moan.
Re: Experian - Dave N
As a credit card merchant myself with the ability to do Customer Not Present transactions, there is currently no way of verifying what the card holders address is, so they can tell you what they like. I've never had any instructions from Amex either. It's up to the merchant if they choose to ship to an address other than what you 'believe' the card holders address is. But rest assured, it is the merchant that takes the risk if it goes wrong, with the card companies snatching back the money as soon as they revieve a complaint from the card holder.
Re: Experian - Andrew Hamilton
I asked at the electrical store Comet and they are happy to deliver to a different address than that your card is registered at!
Regarding Customer Not Present transaction why not do a free directory enquiry at www.bt.com. It gives phone number and addresses. Even postcodes for businesses. In Daily Telegraph a Swiss watchmaker lost £65,000 to frauders on telephone credit card fraud.
Re: Experian - Dave N
The card companies are putting together a database, but it's taking some time, then a verification can be done at POS. Problem is as always, there is not much incentive for them, when the cost of fraud gets passed back to customers or merchants.
Re: Experian - Brian
My experience of the Data Protection Acts in business and personal life is that they are a pain in the rear for legitimate transactions and do nothing to control the cowboys.
The only advantage, of being able to examine your record, presumes that you can find out who has records on you in the first place.