p/x valuations. - midlifecrisis
Been around a few garages with a view to buying a Focus (still looking). I'm a serious buyer with cash plus p/x in my pocket. There are a lot of Focus/s/i about, but many are strongly priced with no hint that there is a cash crisis.

Shown dealers the colour of my money, but am getting truly silly offers on the Getz. An 05 getz ,with FSH and in good nick. Offered £1700 today. What a laugh. They may just ask me to give it them for free. I don't want silly money on it, just a fair price to change. I don't know how desperate they think I am..but they're in for a shock.

The Getz is a very reliable and keeping it won't be a hardship. I would imagine that the dealers are actually more desperate than I'll ever be.
p/x valuations. - Alby Back
I think I would just keep the Getz for now MLC unless you really need a bigger car or something. As you say it's in fine order and would give a lot more service if required. At that sort of valuation it has to be worth more than that to you doesn't it?

I was offered a "fair" price for my retiring Mondeo estate but when I thought about it more it occured to me that both my wife and I absolutely rely on having transport available every day and having a "spare" car sort of makes a bit of sense when there is no serious money tied up in it. For EG, SWMBO banged a wheel on her Ka yesterday which will need to be replaced. ( not too steamy at £32 ) The whole thing was far less drama because we have an extra car for her to use while I get the other one sorted out. Similarly, if I have a problem with my "main" car there is always a back up now.

OK there is a bit of extra cost in insurance/tax and so on but in the scheme of things it feels OK.
p/x valuations. - NowWheels
Offered £1700 today. What a laugh. They may just ask me to give it them for free

Most car dealers aren't shifting much stock. If I was in the trade, then in the current climate I wouldn't buy anything in unless I could turn it around quickly and make a profit ... and to do that I'd have to buy in at a ridiculously low price.
They're definitely not going to shift stock if they offer unrealistic p/x's. The less informed might fall for it, but I'm not trading a V8 4X4.

I appreciate they have to make a living, but not an Arfur Daley living.
p/x valuations. - gmac
What about selling the Getz privately?
A low emissions, fuel sipper, must still have strong interest at more than £1700 privately for a 3.5 year old car.
p/x valuations. - NARU
We ended up giving our Mondeo estate to some friends who desperately needed a better car but couldn't afford it. There was no way I was p/xing it for £1k when it was worth double that. Three years later, and its still doing them well.
p/x valuations. - T Lucas
Anything is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.To maximise the Getz sell it yourself and then make a deal on the next car.Usually if you are p/xing a car you will disadvantage yourself financially.Never ceases to surprise me the way most people present their p/x,dirty,documents at home,dents and scratches,worn out tyres and then expect 30 quid less than retail.The savvy punter will have all relevant docs at hand and pay to have the car valeted,can make a huge difference.
p/x valuations. - stunorthants26
A small car is the only type they can sell, so they need to maximise profit on each one?

The Getz isnt especially low emissions so its not the golden egg of supermini greeness.
You can get a new Getz for £5495 anyway so none will be worth much come trade-in.
p/x valuations. - teabelly
Might be worthing seeing if a local Hyundai garage would offer a good cash price or trade in if they have a focus you want.

Looking on autotrader the cheapest 05 getzs are all 3k to buy from trade sellers; so £1700 isn't that far off as a trade in price as most dealers want £1000 - £1500 minimum on each car to make it worth the effort. There are 06s at £3500. Doubt if you'll get more than £2k in all honesty but you never know.
p/x valuations. - GroovyMucker
My sister got the best deal for her Getz from a Hyundai garage.
I'm not ignorant of the cars value. It's just that 4 weeks ago I was being offered £2500. Strangely enough, the screen prices of the various Focus haven't dropped £800.
p/x valuations. - ifithelps
I was being offered £2500. >>

That sounds about right - similar cars are being offered for sale at around £3,500 and the dealer might aim to buy such a car in with a gross margin of £1,000.

Did the second dealer make a mistake? I only ask because I received an unseemly low offer for my car a couple of years ago.

Cutting a short story even shorter, seems the dealer had mistakenly priced it as a 2000 or 2001, rather than a 2002.

That's what I was told, anyway.
p/x valuations. - bazza
Well, looking at the business press, I'd be tempted to keep the Getz and the cash in the BS. You'll still gave 2 years warranty left, decent mpg and top reliability. A Focus wouldn't really offer any more unless you really want to tear round roundabouts at 50mph and you'll only get mid 30s mpg as well.
Want the focus because of the extra luggage room and to silence a grumbling 9 year old complaining about his legs.