2002 3.0 auto - opinions/experiences ? - welderjames
Hi,,i am just wondering about the 2002 Patrol 3.0di auto,,,are they any good as regards mechanically and off road capabilities,,and what would the mpg be like on these,,thanks james.

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2008 at 21:56

2002 3.0 auto - opinions/experiences ? - Dave N
I had one for a little while. Pretty sluggish, but you learn to live with the lack of overtaking ability. Mechanically bullet proof, except they can get through maffs, I think, and they're pretty pricy. Good off road, except there was no locking front diff. Towing anything heavy was a pretty dismal experience as well, due to lack of power and auto trans. There are some good australian sites with a lot of info on these. I got high 20's mpg.

But they represent excelllent value for money at the moment, if you want a good solid car that will last for many many years. If you look for an older one, there were some straight 6 4.2 diesels for a while that used a very old tech pushrod engine. While the power was no higher than the later 3 litre ones, they have more torque lower down, and no electrics on the engine at all, apart from the stop solenoid.
2002 3.0 auto - opinions/experiences ? - gordonbennet
no electrics on the engine at all
apart from the stop solenoid.

Doesn't that make you go all misty eyed..;)

IIRC some grey's were fitted with a turbo'd version of that engine too, and thats amazon pulling power.

Don't forget WJ the year you are talking about will attract £400 road tax very soon, so buy very cheaply, or get a pre 01 instead?