1998 1.4 Strange grinding/noise on engine braking - loopyjen
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what might be up with my car.

I took a trip from Manchester to Penrith on Thursday, and my car was absolutely fine all the way there.

On the return journey, after about 10 miles, my car began to make a slight grinding noise/vibration noise? when I took my foot off the accelerator at 70+ mph (I'm thinking its when the engine was naturally braking). The noise stopped when I put my foot back on the accelerator or when I put my foot on the break. The vibration didn't affect the steering and none of the lights in the car came on, it just made the strange noise.

I did come off the motorway and was going to stop at a services but when I was doing 40mph or less the noise wasn't happening.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I didn't stop at a services in the end and I did manage 80 miles home despite my car constantly making that strange noise/vibration.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/09/2008 at 04:24

1998 1.4 Strange grinding/noise on engine braking - john493
Hi Jen,
Given it's a Clio, this could be a front wheel bearing. Drive the car on a smooth road and see if the noise /vibration changes as you take a left or right hand bend. If it changes, that confirms wheel bearing failure. Common on a Clio, the bearings are cheap enough & not too difficult to change with the right tools.
John
1998 1.4 Strange grinding/noise on engine braking - bathtub tom
Exhaust resonating on the overrun perhaps, maybe a broken exhaust mounting?
Whatever the revs are when it occurs, try the same in another gear. That should help diagnose if it's engine or transmision related.
1998 1.4 Strange grinding/noise on engine braking - retrochick
Hi i have a 1.2 1998 cilo, i recently had a problem like this, just random time driving i would get a grinding or squealing as it go worse, i had to get the drive shaft done, mine was really making the noise after driving for a bit or at bit higher speed, hope you get it sorted, good luck rockstar.