VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - Peter D
Intermittent ABS Fault

I have a 1995 VW Golf GTI 8V with an intermittent ABS problem. The problem can manifest itself in three different ways.

1. The ABS warning lamp illuminates for no apparent reason with no other symptoms noticed.
2. The ABS operates when braking gently at low speeds in dry conditions with no warning lamp illuminated.
3. The ABS operates when braking at low speeds in dry conditions followed by the warning light being illuminated.

Turning the ignition off/on resets the warning light and the problem may not come back for a couple of days.

A VW dealer has checked the car on two occasions. In each case the fault memory of the ABS Computer was reset but they were unable to find and correct the fault.

Any suggestions!
Come on guys someone out there must have been here !!!

VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - jud
check the wheel sensors at each wheel, ensure the toothed gear is clear of any debri especially anything metallic.Ensure the electrical connections are good and the wiring sound , check for a wire which may be broken internally but where the outer insulation looks sound. At the ABS unit again check for loose/broken wires.check Abs at for more tips. www.howstuffworks.com
VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - Cyd
Had a very similar sounding fault on one of my cars. It turned out to be a sensor developing an internal short.

Assuming the ABS is Bosch - the sensors should have a resistance of 1 - 1.5kohms. Significantly outside this range indicates a dead or dying sensor.

Strange the dealer couldn't trace the fault. Bosch ABS has a fault memory - however after a certain number of ignition cycles (20 or 30 I think) with no fault evident the memory is cleared. Take the car for diagnosis immediately after the fault light has come on.

Also check sensor to reluctor gap. The reluctor has to be seriously knackered to be the cause. Also check the security of all connections.
VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - aj
I have had two separate problems with ABS on a Golf Mk III. The first one, which sounds similar to yours was traced to a faulty wheel sensor, but this was diagnosed via the fault memory.

The second fault was intermittent and turned out to be a loose (not blown)fuse which is 'hidden' up above the main fuse box in the driver's side footwell. See owners manual page 159. Should the fault lie here these fuses are extremely difficult to reach without removing most of the plastic trim beneath the steering wheel.
VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - Dave N
You say 'In each case the fault memory of the ABS Computer was reset', this indicates that a fault code was found, otherwise it wouldn't need resetting!

Hi,

Sorry been away so couldn't get back to you message. Yes VW found a "Mechanical Front Left" Message in the memory but were unable to find any fault. Fault still happens every 3 or 4 days and is reset my cycling the ignition. I will check the fuse commemt made earlier. Thanks any more help would be appreciated.
VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - Cyd
"Mechanical Front Left" sounds like it's the front left sensor. What happened on my car was that the sensor mounting bracket had corroded, sqeezing the sensor. This caused an internal short which was intermittent at first but eventually went permanent. Try a secondhand sensor.
VW MKIII GTI ABS Fault - jud
And make sure when you fit it that its in "field" that is close enough to pick up the tooth gear, if in doubt about the distance check out one of the others, if its not close enough it may not pick up every tooth, too close and the sensor can be damaged by rubbing against the teeth