1998 1.9TD Various problems - martay
Hi Guys

Please can someone give me some advice, I am a novice when it comes to mechanics! I have had no problems with my 306 and all in all been very happy with it, (and I have to be it?s got to last me another couple of years yet!) It?s a 1.9 Turbo Diesel, S Reg with 123,000 miles on the clock, it has been serviced every year (whether it?s done the mileage or not)

However in the last few weeks some gremlins seem to have crept in and I would like some advice so I know what I am dealing with if I go to a garage or if it?s something simple I can fix myself.

1. The air ventilation system has stopped working, also the recirculation and air conditioning buttons do not turn on either, would this be the fuses? Or a wiring issue?

2. More worryingly, when I go to pull off and bring the clutch up to the bite point the car judders (even with a reasonable amount of revs) as if something isn?t quite catching?? If that makes sense? The same happens sometimes in reverse, but in all the other gears it doesn?t do it. Once it?s moving (Say between 5 and 10mph) in first the judders stop however it doesn?t sound good.

Thank you for any advise I am given I really need your help!!!

Martay

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 11:12

1998 1.9D tur Various problems and I really really - rossinatrench
1. this is probably a fuse given that the buttons do not turn on, try changing these first - always start with the simplest option. If this doesnt work then it maybe to do with the wiring however this is not a common fault

2. this isn't uncommon, I have known a few 1.9tds to do this and they seem to be running fine still. Its more at higher revs that this needs to be worried about. However, if you are good mechanically it may be worth looking at the clutch, if not take it to your local trusted garage and ask them to see

hope this helps
1998 1.9D tur Various problems and I really really - Peter.N.
It could be that the clutch plate has oil on it, as long as it drives acceptably don't worry about it. If its to bad you may be able to cure it by slipping it gently under load for 10 or 15 seconds, this could burn it off. Another possibility is that because the diesels produce good torque low down the clutch never gets slipped much when you pull away, this can cause them to get a bit rough, the cure is tha same as for the oil, only dont overdo it, if you can smell it burning, that's enough.
1998 1.9TDI Ventilation system - martay

My ventilation system isn't working (I put a message on here before about it) thank you for the responses.

Basically, the fan doesnt work, the Air con wont switch on nor will the button next to it (recirculation) and one of the lights (The power of fan nob) is out.

When my car was serviced they changed the fuses and it kept blowing them.

I was given the number for an car electrician, who I spoke to he reckons it?s the BSI unit and from a main dealer this will cost me £1,000, but from him it will cost £350. On top of this he wants £70 call out and diagnostics testing to find out the problem.

I think this sounds excessive as the central locking, electric sunroof and windows and back window heater all work without issue or loss of power. Therefore from an outsider (in terms of car knowledge) it sounds like the motor for the fan is either seized or broken (causing the shortage) or some of the wiring is faulty. I spoke to another garage who said that this is a common problem and have quoted me £125 (parts and labour) to replace the motor.

I am a bit of a loss of what to do and also whether these prices seem fair.
1998 1.9TDI Ventilation system - 306PeugeotDiesel
Dear Martay

You are not alone and I am experiencing the same problem with my ventilation system. When I brought it over to an authorised Peugeot servicing agent, it was working fine but when I left the garage, it did not worked. They told me that they did not touch it. It was for the regular 10K km servicing.

I was scam by the mechanics and I am sure that they were trying to con a few hundred euros off my back. They told me it was the "pulseur d'air" in french given that I reside in France. The cost to repair it will be 400-500 euros which translates roughly to £350-400 plus labour. Now, I can going over the internet to try and look for solutions on how to DIY and will keep you inform when I have the answer and porblems solved!

I am sure that it could easily be repair at a fraction of the cost!! I am driving with freezing winter winds in my car!
1998 1.9TDI Ventilation system - Andrew-T
I presume your 306 aircon has not lost pressure? If it needs regassing the aircon will not work, though that won't stop the fan working.

If the blower motor has genuinely failed, it should be possible to get a used one from a scrapper (try Car Transplants) and fit it yourself. I haven't done it on a 306, but that is pretty much a grown-up 205, where the motor is under the dash above the passenger's right foot (maybe driver's foot in France?). Three screws and a connector to deal with - using a mirror makes things easier to see.

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/11/2008 at 15:44