Bleeding brakes on old car without foot-pedal - ffolliott
Hi - have to bleed the brakes on a 1972 camper van but don't really want to depress the footpedal too much for fear of damaging the seals by pushing into rough places they have not been for years and ending up with a very expensive master cylinder replacement - this happened on another old car I had. I think you used to be able to get a cap and tube that would pressurise the reservoir with a foot pump or if I recall by connecting to the spare tyre.
Sure I can eventually work something out but this may be a common problem with a solution so any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 21/09/2008 at 21:21

1972 1.6 Bleeding brakes on old car without foot p - Number_Cruncher
Try a Gunson's Eezibleed.

Bleeding brakes on old car without foot-pedal - MW
If you are that worried about the master cylinder, you should replace it, especially if such an old car only has one braking system. Can't cost more than £50. If you are bleeding it anyway, it is only another hours work.
Eazibleed kits are fantastic. I have used one for 20 years and the best £20 you will spend. Always use a litre of fluid so you can really power flush all the old stuff out. I also double bleed it, so the peddle is rock hard.