Towbar electrics - catcher
I recently had an electrical problem on my Accord which resulted in a rather expensive electronic control box having to be replaced. The fault was caused by the wiring on the towbar (fitted before I got the car) not being a Honda part - appparently the genuine Honda wiring, which I've since had fitted, has built-in protection. With electrics on modern cars being more complex than they used to be, it's worth bearing in mind if you have a towbar fitted.
Regards
Catcher
Towbar electrics - *Gongfarmer*
Does the Accord have Multiplex electrics? I've heard of similar problems on the Citroen Picasso which is similarly equiped.
I undestand that it's done to reduce the amount of wiring a modern car needs. It has a sort of "ring main" which runs around say, all the lights. When you turn the headlights on, a control box sends a signal down the wire to tell the headlights, which switch themselves on. Clever, but when someone tries to fit ICE or Towbars in the traditional way it causes all sorts of problems.
Towbar electrics - catcher
Yes, it has multiplex electrics. The fault caused the 'passenger side multiplex control unit' to pack in. I had been using the rear fog lights while towing and they wouldn't switch off (even with the key out!). It was an expensive way to get the lights working properly - but of course, being part of the MOT I couldn't get away with just leaving the fuse out! (plus there might have been other electrical problems lurking to surface as a result)
Regards
Catcher