Slow keyboard response on this site - rtj70
What sort of PC? The adds on the right can take quite of CPU processing power at times (Flash player) and so could be slowing down the PC. What is the CPU doing if you fire up task manager?
Slow keyboard response on this site - smokie
Do you actually do much typing on other sites??

RTJ is probably barking up the right tree. If he is, if you have this site open in your browser and open a local application (e.g. Word or Notepad) then they will 1) open slowly and 2) be slow to type into too. If you can do this and they aren't slow, then it has to be something peculiar to the Edit Post screen, and I'm not sure what that could be. (Badly behaved scripts can sometimes slow down just a particular instance of IE without affecting other programs. You can probably disallow scripts somehow but do the checks first, as it's more likely to be a computer processing power problem).
I only suggested this as sometimes the adverts on this site make the fan on my system go faster meaning it's running flat out. And whilst old it's still an Intel P4 3.6GHz CPU with 2.5Gb RAM.
Slow keyboard response on this site - billy25
And heres me on '98 intel pent 2 700mhz - very few probs, wot am i missing?

p.s
not meant in a "smug way" - sometimes technology over - reaches the need!

Billy
Slow keyboard response on this site - Victorbox
Win 98 intel pentium 2 .... wow I occasionally use (like now) a 500 Mhz Pentium 3 (Tiny - remember them?) just for the fun of it and I thought that was old!!
Slow keyboard response on this site - maz64
Try opening up the Task Manager, selecting the Processes tab, and sorting them on CPU - that will show how much CPU is being used and what's using it.
But the performance monitor on Win98 is not brilliant.

I would certainly say it's Flash advert related because a lot of CPU time is used on my PC at times and it's multi-threaded and has a bit more power.
Slow keyboard response on this site - maz64
But the performance monitor on Win98 is not brilliant.

I don't think the OP has told us what he's running on.
Focus you are correct - I read Billy's reply and assumed it was the OP.
Just to add that my system was running flat out just then on this website looking at the top level Discussion page. As soon as I came to post it's settled down.

So the problem can make Internet Explorer on a P4 3.6GHz processor run flat out. I should install Google's browser to see which thread is using the CPU but it'll almost certainly be Flash.
Slow keyboard response on this site - Altea Ego
Its caused by the Flash adverts for castrol. When you get two - one in the top bar and one down the side bar it all locks up and slows input

Slow keyboard response on this site - cheddar
Agreed also when one at the bottom and one at the side.
Maybe not - I had a Castrol flash advert to the right and bottom and using 2% CPU time. But it almost certainly a flash problem.
Slow keyboard response on this site - Badwolf
Many apologies for not replying sooner. Thanks for all your advice - problem now sorted.

Cheers :-)