02 2.0 Anti Pollution - ESP/ASR - BSI - sedg
We have a 02 HDI 110 Rapier 44k miles bought recently. Upon starting we receive the following fault warnings ESP/ASR NOT FUNCTIONING and then ANITPOLLTION FAULT, both of which repeat 3 times.

Now the first time this happened I took the car to a local garage (whom I know) to check it out, unfortunatle he couln'nt help as he said his machine could'nt read the codes.

So dealer he we come. They were vaery helpful and advised what the two warning lights ment, they also told me what could be the problems, they caried out various test and look would have it they informed me that the fault was down to a corroded connector on the BSI unit (located behind the glove box) so they striped irt down cleaned it up reset and cleared the faults and hey presto back to normal (no limp mode).
They did advise that the BSI unit may require replacing as the corrotion may have spread into the box.

Incidently the radio will not tune into any radio stations - rellivant I'm not sure...

3 weeks later driving along the motoway (which we do not often do long runs) on a rainy day (as we have a lot of latley) warning lights re-appeared and back into limp mode.

Back to the dealer who advised me that a new BSI (£480) plus a new FAP filter (£380) was required, I discided to have a look myself. Took the BSI unit out cleaned the connectors (which did look corroded and not like they had been cleaned before) put it all back together back to the dealer to clear the faults and back to normal again.

2 weeks later on another motorway journey (this time dry) and the faults re-appeared.

I realise it may be that I need a new BSI unit but I am a bit relucant to fork out £480 plus the £380 for the filter when I am not convinced the problem cannot be fixed.

Any suggestions??
02 2.0 Anti Pollution - ESP/ASR - BSI - Screwloose

I wouldn't think that the BSI would have any effect on the FAP and cause an AP warning. Anything amiss with the FAP won't affect the ABS, which controls the ESP/ASR.

I think you have separate, or hidden, faults here. Nothing seems in any way logical? Can you ask the dealers for the actual fault-codes?
I know but are they not both controlled via the BSI? and therefore a chance of a fault due to a bad connection? I will give the garage a call today to check if they still have the fault-codes on the system.
02 2.0 Anti Pollution - ESP/ASR - BSI - Screwloose

No; although they are multiplexed and pass-on sensor info like roadspeed, the engine ECU controls the FAP and the BSI doesn't control the ABS.

It's fairly normal to get a dozen, or more, fault-codes come up on one of these [35 isn't unusual] so I'm thinking that disconecting the BSI is causing re-boots that are clearing "reflected" codes and temporarily re-setting limp mode that way?

Without the codes; the possible permutations are endless.
Unfortunatley they do not have the codes, I think I will check the BSI unit connection again to see if any further corrosion has occured and then I may pop back to Peugeot to see if they can re-assess the situation and take it from there.

Regards Adam.
Hi there,

got the codes from Peugeot so here they are;

P1447 - Permanent fault, particle filter, PEF pierced of differential pressure info incorrect.
P0101 - intermitten fault, flow sensor sgnal, coherence, air flow too great.
P0402 - intermittent fault, EGR solnoid valve, air flow higher than recommended.

The chap at Peugeot said that the permanent fault could be the cause of the intermitten faults, he also said that the P1447 could be down to a faulty sensor that is behind the battery or possibly a hole in the exhaust.

I have booked it in for next week so that they can do further checks, the only concern i have is that last time the car was there they was going to sell me a new BSI unit and a FAP filter!!! I guess I just need to be more inquisitive about what is required.

Any comments??
Update

In at Peugeot and they have had a look at the faults and report as follows;

The P1447 fault could be due to one of two problems, 1. There is a sensor that monitors the temp pressure ect of the FAP filter that could be faulty - cost to replace £147.74 or 2. BSI unit has internal corrossion and thus causing inconsistant readings to the ECU - cost to replace approx £400.

Apparently there are other fault codes called U codes that need identifing over the net. The code U1208 is listed.

I am unsure which way to go now, I have seen a company (www.bba-reman.com ) which repair BSI units for approx £100 which I may try first.

Any suggestions??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/09/2008 at 14:42

02 2.0 Anti Pollution - ESP/ASR - BSI - dieselnut
As the car has done over 44k & FAP change at this year would be 50k anyway, I would get the FAP replaced & EOLYS refilled.
If that doesn't cure it you will at least have 50k to the next FAP change.