Polishing - what did I do wrong? - JH
I've washed the wife's car, allowed it several hours to dry and then polished it, with Autoglym. The polish is a devil to get off and seems to be sticking to the water marks left by the dried water. I did "leather off" with a microfibre cloth. By rubbing really hard I can get rid of the marks and get a decent shine but if I put that much effort into the roof it'll dent and anyway I'll probably die of exhaustion first.

Any ideas? I don't think it needs claying. I learnt that from you last year and now my car's paint is like glass.

Thanks,
JH
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - Tron
Soak the vehicle down with a good soapy mixture, wash all off with a soft sponge, chamois dry and start again.

If you are putting a lot of polish on the cloth/applicator you don't need to be.

Do smaller areas at a time.

Don't polish in direct sunlight.
Thanks Tron. Sounds like a job for next weekend.
JH
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - Tron
Don't leave it that long as if you think it is hard to get off now...
ah...
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - bathtub tom
I was also taught to polish in straight lines, never in circles.
Does that still hold true.
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - gmac
What did you use JH ? Is it the super resin polish that comes with a red label ?
Put it on a cloth and wipe on, leave it to harden and wipe off the chalky residue with a clean dry cloth. You shouldn't have to rub very hard at all.

Edited by gmac on 14/09/2008 at 20:21

Polishing - what did I do wrong? - barchettaman
If you're getting loads of chalk residue you're using waaaay too much.
Less is more for this product, that holds true for AG EGP too.
As far as I understand it the SRP doesn't need to 'cure' like the EGP does. Work into a section of a panel and buff off immediately.
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - FotheringtonThomas
Polishing cars. Humph. If you must, get someone else to do it, it seems to me, is the best idea. A couple of times a year, at £50-£100 I'd guess would be more than enough.
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - Victorbox
As suggested, do only a couple of panels at a time so you aren't leaving it too long between application & buffing off.
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - david edt
Personally i wouldnt use autoglym
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - Pugugly
Don't tell me !

Supagard ?
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - Roger Jones
"Personally i wouldnt use autoglym"

Do tell us why. It's used all the time on my cars, with perfect results.
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - oldgit
Autoglym super resin polish (which is what I use) is so easy to use, at least on a metallic siver car.
I just pour some on to a microfibre cloth and apply to, say, the whole bonnet area, in a fairly light, vigorous manner then wait a few seconds and then polish off with another microfibre cloth, reserved for that purpose - no problems - it's not rocket science!
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - DP
I swear by Autoglym SRP too. It's very easy to work with and gives good results which last. I did the Scenic just over three weeks ago, and the rainwater still beads nicely on the paintwork. I always give it the little test with the cloth when finished, where I gently slide the cloth across the bonnet or roof and let it go. Once the job is complete, the cloth will slide for a good few seconds on the polished surface (and onto the floor after which it goes in the bin).
Polishing - what did I do wrong? - J1mbo
Never let the water dry!!! Prolly realised that by now! lol

Suggest as others said, wash and leather off, then use SRP again. Its a polish meaning its got mild abrasives and you need to work it in, its filler heavy so hides swirls and scratches. Its good stuff! Use small amounts and don't let it bake on, like others said, does'nt need long to cure.

SRP is not very durable, so top it off with a thin layer of EGP, then buff and reapply the EGP. Should last you a good 3 or 4 months. If you cannot get rid of the water marks, a dedicated polish or paint cleaner might be needed.