94 1.5 d broken cambelt tud 5 diesel - plank
hi,
i have a rover 115 sd with the peugot tud 5 diesel. the cambelt has just snapped which seems like an easy job but i am being told it will have knacked the valves and the head is going to need reconditioning. this seems a bit extreme any advice?
94 1.5 d broken cambelt tud 5 diesel - Screwloose

You will be in Lottery-winner territory if the valves haven't hit the pistons.

Take the cam cover off and see what it looks like in there. If there's nothing visibly broken, check the valve clearances.
94 1.5 d broken cambelt tud 5 diesel - 659FBE
What a shame, the TUD 5 was a really good diesel engine - the one I look after now has 140k miles to its credit and runs perfectly with no additional oil between 5k mile changes. It has had 3 belts and 1 set of tensioners + water pump in its life.

Out of (morbid) interest, how many miles did this engine go for befoire the belt broke? I decided 50k miles was a reasonable change interval for this well engineered drive.

I'm sorry to say that a diesel with a broken belt will have suffered very major damage which, when enveloped by a Metro will be not worth repairing.

94 1.5 d broken cambelt tud 5 diesel - trainboy
i once had a volvo 760 turbo and the cam belt snapped took the head off expecting the worse but there was no damage, cleaned the head and reseated the valves while i had the head off had it for 3 years after that and no problems haven`t won the lottery though sigh!!
94 1.5 d broken cambelt tud 5 diesel - 659FBE
I haven't seen a Volvo 760 with a compression ratio of 23:1.

The TUD 5 is a diesel - every belt failure causes impact damage.