New runabout required! - CarNovice28
Hi everyone

I'm looking for a new car after having my R-reg Fiesta for 6 years!

I've test driven the usual suspects - Mazda 2 (bit too unresponsive for me), Honda Jazz (loved it) and the Hyundai i10 (very nippy and responsive but unsure for motorway driving)

I will mainly be using the car for general city road driving and A-roads but may occasionally go on shortish motorway journeys at the weekend.

I am going to wait for the new Fiesta and Jazz to come out before test-driving those. Also going to test drive a Suzuki Swift and a Corsa tomorrow.

I will probably try to get a used example, as I don't do a lot of miles per year (max 5000) so it'd be a waste of money to get a really expensive car, unless it was pleasurable to drive - the Jazz was exactly that, whereas the Mazda 2 felt quite underpowered.

Any suggestions on a car that I haven't thought about?

Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 06/09/2008 at 19:42

New runabout required! - Avant
Looks like a good shortlist: I'd add the Toyota Yaris (go for the 1.3) and the Skoda Fabia. If you go for the old shape, the 1.4 100bhp engine was ideal: with the new shape there's a 1.6 and a less powerful 1.4.
Thanks Avant

I'll let you know what the test drives of the Suzuki and Corsa are like.

sq

Edited by Pugugly on 07/09/2008 at 01:24

New runabout required! - jase1
Wouldn't discount the Mitsubishi Colt either at the prices they're going for.

Might want to check out the Hyundai Getz as well, the i10's older brother which is a much better motorway car.
Thanks Jase

Swift was a nice drive. The 1.5GLX was better than the Diesel for me, as it was quieter, although the diesel obviously had more response.

I'll keep test driving until I make a decision.

New runabout required! - doctorchris
How about the Nissan Note and it's half-brother the Renault Modus.

Re the current model Jazz, Motorpoint seem to have some used examples at very good prices (I've no hidden interest here, was just looking at how much to replace our current 5 yr old model and found them).

My daughter has the current model Corsa and I feel it's too heavy so fuel economy is not good, go for a diesel if you must have one.
You'd be buying a last-model Corsa at £5000 most likely -- which I'd avoid like the plague to be honest. Most of them will have been driving school cars, and they're horrid to drive.
Thanks.

New Fiesta looks the business!

Was thinking about possibly getting a pre-reg Focus, since they lose so much in the first year.

Can get an 08 1.6 Zetec Climate pack 3dr for £9500.

It's worth considering, especially when a new Fiesta is likely to cost over £11,000.

New runabout required! - retgwte
id get a new panda diesel for 6200 quid new from one of the brokers

35 quid road tax

v nippy

sips fuel

good on motorway

but then im me and youre u

the missus loves her panda diesel

New runabout required! - Mapmaker
That's a pretty vague requirement! Do you have a budget in mind. If so, are you desperate to spend that much, or would you be happy to spend less? Are you desperate to run a small car, or if somebody points out that a larger car that's done maybe 100,000 miles is actually cheaper, would you be happy with it?

Because there's honestly no need to spend much at all to get a half-decent 5-year-old car. As you are aware, driving an 11 year old car, older cars are not complete heaps these days.

2003 NISSAN ALMERA 1.5 S 5dr Hatchback
Price: £1,595
Features: 55,000 miles Manual Silver Petrol Hatchback 1497 cc

2003 03 Reg FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi 130 LX 5dr 6 speed
Price: £1,695
Features: Manual Blue Diesel Hatchback 1998 cc 03 reg (2003) "High Miles"

1990 H Reg JAGUAR XJ6 4.0
Price: £395
Features: Automatic Red Petrol Saloon 3980 cc H reg (1990)
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic RED. Alloy wheels, Electric windows, Leather upholstery, Power assisted steering. Insurance Group:17, m.o.t--june19th 2009,taxed,STARTS,RUNS,STOPS,

Edited by Mapmaker on 11/09/2008 at 11:20

I am 28 and have 5 years no claims but I guess I don't want to spend too much on insurance.

I'd want a newish car but I guess for the number of miles I do per year (approx 6,000) it doesn't have to be low miles - at least not too much.

I thought about getting a slightly larger car, just in case my requirements ever changed in the future and I needed one.

Decisions, decisions.

Going back to absolute basics. The situation is:

- I commute about 10 miles per day (total) to, and from, a train station (don't drive to work currenty)
- Go on frequent short journeys out and about
- Tend to use the car on motorways only at weekends and infrequently
- Do a max of 6000 miles per year
- Only tends to be myself in the car so doesn't have to be massively big.

It is only through being advised to change car by Bosch Approved garage that I have thought to do so.

It's a really tough decision.

Frequent short journeys + 6000 miles per year + not many motorway miles = small, 5-year-old runabout IMO.

Think Hyundai Getz 1.3 or 1.4, four years old, one year of warranty left, £2000-2500 will get you a good example. Decent on the motorway, but still small enough to be nippy around town.

You don't need to spend £5000 on a car.
Thanks.

Good advice I think.

A friend has a Panda that I'm going to test drive next week - will be interesting.

I'll start looking at cars like old Yaris's etc.

Seems more sensible, considering the use I have of a car.

If I was going for an i10, I'd get the 1.2 Comfort spec probably.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow so I'll test-drive a Getz too, as well as the 1.2 i10 and see what it's like.

How long do you tihnk it would take the i10 to drop in value?

New runabout required! - runboy
Good luck. Please report back, especially if you do drive a 1.2 i10 as we placed our order before they were common knowledge (mid June) and we still have not taken delivery. So if a dealer has one as a demo I'd like to know. Thanks.
Hello CarNovice28

Did you get to test drive an i10 1.2 yesterday?
New runabout required! - Number_Cruncher
>>= small, 5-year-old runabout IMO.

I disagree.

At the moment, because of fuel and tax pressure, small cars are in demand, and hence are selling for more than perhaps they really should be. It may be better not to follow the herd.

For 6000 miles per year, fuel costs aren't at all important - buy a 2 litre car, a 3 litre car even, and you still won't be paying much at the pumps when compared to the other costs of motoring.

As per Mapmaker's post, consider something larger, and currently less fashionable. (Although I expect the £395 Jag is perhaps a bit too left field!)

>>You don't need to spend £5000 on a car.

I fully agree with this point though!

The only reason I mentioned a smaller car was the tax element -- against what you'll be paying in fuel the tax could potentially be significant a few years down the line. 6000 miles, maybe £700 a year in fuel, an extra 5mpg isn't going to affect this figure massively (10% or £70 per year). Against potentially £100-200 a year difference in tax.

I'll be keeping my two pre-2001 cars until they drop apart now for this very reason.

But it must be said that even an extra £200 a year is a minor consideration against the extra you'll be paying for the car in the first place, so on reflection, yes, I agree.
Hello Runboy

Nope. None in at the moment, though they're expected shortly.

I'll probably end up keeping my R-reg at this rate!!

I test drove a 54 Yaris today which was nice. Wanted to test drive a Getz too but dealership was short staffed and so didn't get round to it.

I currently pay £115 in tax on my R-reg.

Does the Getz drive similarly to the i10? I'd go for the 1.3 in the Getz. What's the difference in spec btwn GSI and CDX?
Thanks for the update.

Remember the getz is being replaced soon - I did read on one report that the i20 was going into production next month, but that doesn't mean they will be in the UK just yet.

Looking in the motoring mags, there isn't a 1.3 Getz available , only the 1.1 and 1.4 petrol or a 1.5 diesel are available new. Only the diesel falls under the 120 gm co2 mark (like most 1.1 and all 1.2 i10).

Was the 1.3 you mention a used one?
Yep. Quite a few 1.3 petrols in Auto Trader - supposed to be the best engine.

Wouldn't buy a diesel, as I don't do enough miles.

The 1.3 is a very good unit -- very close to a Mitsubishi design of the early 1990s. Solid and reliable.

The 1.1 is essentially the same unit as the 1.3, while I believe the 1.4 is a slightly bored-out version of the 1.3 with VVT -- so is a fair bit faster. Not aware of any reliability issues with any of them.

The Getz will be different to the i10 -- it's set up for comfort so it does lean a little bit around bends. Overall though handling is safe and predictable, and ride quality is good -- perfect for motorway miles.
Going back to the Yaris - that was a nice car to drive. Easy to drive, and going to be reliable.

It's really hard to decide on something.

The i10 was the best drive of the lot and the 1.2 engine should make it even better but would I buy a brand new car - not really sure.

If I could wait longer, I would, but my car will need 4 new tyres before its next service in February so want to get rid before then.

We've been looking at Skodas today - Dad is looking for a new car and test drove the Superb which I thought was brilliant.

I test drove a Fabia I'd seen - 7500 miles, 57 plate (December 2007) 1.2, 12V engine for £6995.

The dealer said they'd do a good deal for us if we bought both cars.

I enjoyed the ride in both - comfortable and refined for a 1.2 engine.

New runabout required! - Lucretia
Just a quickie, are you anywhere near leeds and what spec is your r-reg fiesta?

Luke.
New runabout required! - tawse
sq
Out of interest, what was it about the Jazz that you loved? Also, what height and build are you and how comfortable roomwise did you find the Jazz? Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 21/09/2008 at 22:33

Hi Luke

1.25 16V Chicane.

Tawse - the Jazz's cabin is extremely airy and spacious. However, the car itself feels a bit underpowered - it take a hard foot on the accelerator for it to pick up. I also think that, although it holds its value really well, it's expensive.

New runabout required! - tawse
sq
Thanks.

Was this a 1.2 or 1.4 engine Jazz?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/09/2008 at 22:57

1.4 but there's nothing like a test-drive yourself to see whether I'm right!! Hehe.

New runabout required! - Avant
I think you are right. SWMBO had a 1.4 Jazz (1339cc actually so Honda are pushing it calling it a 1.4) and elder daughter is on her third 1.3 Yaris. The Jazz is an excellent car in many ways, far more spacious and versatile than the Yaris, but the Yaris is a lot livelier and more fun to drive. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
I'm considering just running the Fiesta into the ground.

It'll need new tyres before it's serviced in February.

The only reason I ever started looking for another car is because I was advised to get rid of it by the garage who MOTd it...

Btw - I notice from HJ's review of my car that I've been using the wrong oil for the last 5 years!

Though I've never had a problem with the camshaft - but then - it is lightly used.

I'll start using 5/30 from now on.