Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - mustangman
Sorry if you got a bit excited !

I've just had a short holiday in Guernsey. As luck would have it I did not fill my tank before going, so was able to fill up at vat free prices. You carn't go very far, or very fast there so I was able to bring most of it back to the mainland.

It just felt so nostalgic, how things used to be a few years back ............

Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - injection doc
Just returned from the south of France & fuel was E1.26 so about £ 1.01-1.02 ltr makes a huge difference on a 90ltr tank. great that Diesel is cheaper than petrol as it should be due to the refinning process. Strange how back in good old rip off blighty Derv is so much dearer than unleaded!
I think were being has somewhere along the line!
I doc
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - jc2
Diesel fuel is not dearer in the UK;you just pay more tax on it!!!
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Bromptonaut
Diesel fuel is not dearer in the UK;you just pay more tax on it!!!

AFAIK duty rates for standard petrol and diesel in UK are same. It's the tax in France that's lower.
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Red Van Man
Can't give a link but (I think) I remember reading somewhere, that we are the only country in the world where diesel is dearer than unleaded at the pumps.
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Roly93
>> Diesel fuel is not dearer in the UK;you just pay more tax on it!!!
AFAIK duty rates for standard petrol and diesel in UK are same. It's the tax
in France that's lower.

You can,t assume the tax in France is lower, the simple fact is that diesel is just cheaper than petrol to produce, so given an even TAX playing field, to have dearer diesel than petrol is just blatant profiteering by retailers/oil companies.
You can t assume the tax in France is lower the simple fact is that
diesel is just cheaper than petrol to produce so given an even TAX playing field
to have dearer diesel than petrol is just blatant profiteering by retailers/oil companies.

I'm pretty sure the tax is lower in France but irrespective of relative production costs the prices are affected by suupply versus demand. If there is surplus product prices will fall to something precariuosly close to or even below production cost. Conversley, even something that costs little to make will command a premium if supply cannot meet demand,

Diesel is derived from the same refining fraction as heating oil and combined demand is barely met by supply, particularly in the Northern hemisphere winter.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 31/08/2008 at 22:16

Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - PR {P}
Duty on petrol and diesel is exactly the same. As is the VAT rate. Because the price of diesel is more, you pay slightly more VAT but thats the only difference.

Edited by PR {P} on 31/08/2008 at 16:50

Current duty rates are here www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2007/bn53.htm

Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - jc2
And the above website shows that whilst ultra low sulphur fuels attract the same duty,conventional unleaded and diesel differ by more than three pence a litre-diesel duty is higher-as I said.
And the above website shows that whilst ultra low sulphur fuels attract the same duty
conventional unleaded and diesel differ by more than three pence a litre-diesel duty is higher-as
I said.

I think for practical purposes all retail diesel in the UK is the ultra low sulphur type. And even if there were a difference of over 3p it still would still leave diesel pricier pre tax.

Offered the choice in France but if there are two grades of diesel on a forecourt here then it's standard ULSD versus BP ultimate or whatever.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 31/08/2008 at 17:25

Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - mike hannon
That's just the point, OP, isn't it? You can't hoof the throttle and there's nowhere to go anyway! Puts a whole different perspective on the price.
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - jase1
Just returned from the south of France & fuel was E1.26 so about £ 1.01-1.02
ltr makes a huge difference on a 90ltr tank. great that Diesel is cheaper than
petrol as it should be due to the refinning process. Strange how back in good
old rip off blighty Derv is so much dearer than unleaded!

So, you seem to be saying that diesel is £1.02 in France, where petrol is more expensive than this. How much more expensive? £1.05?

Given that I fill up with petrol for £1.08 currently I don't see what all the fuss is about.

3% or so difference in petrol costs? (Stuff diesel, I wouldn't have one of those smelly things anyway). Pfft.
Petrol in france was a lot dearer & often E1.50 so about £1.26 compared with diesel at £1.01-1.02!
(So stuff the petrol as its stinks, highly inflamable!, evaporates & deteriotes & petrol cars lack shear tourque!) Pfft
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - jase1
sq
But you make my point for me!!!

All this rubbish about "expensive fuel" this, "rip-off Britain" that, and all along, in true Daily Mail style people only tell half the story.

From these figures petrol is 15% MORE expensive in France than it is here. How do these facts tally with the rip-off hypothesis?

You guys go on with your petty ranting all you like.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 20:45

From the angle that diesel used to be cheaper than petrol untill diesel consumption became a lot higher. If we all switched back tpo petro tomorrow by the end of the month petrol would be dearer! so its means they profiteer from demand! My point rip off blighty
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - MichaelR
sq
Is it too much to ask that people educate themselves before forming an opinion?

The real reason for the fuel price differential between petrol and diesel in the UK is not taxation nor is it profiteering.

We refine most of our own road fuel here in the UK. From each barrel of crude oil, you get a certain amount of petrol and a certain amount of diesel when you refine. To produce more diesel fuel, you would also end up producing more petrol.

With me so far?

The UK is, or is at least close to, a net EXPORTER of refined petrol. We sell a lot of it to the USA. We already, therefore, produce much more petrol than we actually need in this country. In order to produce more diesel to adaquetely meet demand to bring price down to a level which is equal with petrol, we'd need to produce more petrol.

But we can't - the USA don't wish to buy any more from us, UK motorists won't consume it, so we'd be producing a surplus of petrol we'd be able to do nothing with.

As a result, a small supply/demand imbalance exists with diesel. The result is that it costs a bit more than petrol as more and more people buy diesel cars.

Sorry to dissapoint the Daily Mail reading rip off Britain obsessives.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 22:14

Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Roly93
Another thing that might seriously impact the price of diesel, is the murmerings from the EU bods about ships and other very large diesels using cheap high sulphur 'bunkerage' fuel oils. Someone in Brussels said quite recently that this is not good for the planet and ships should be using refined gas-oil. If this were to happen, all of the worlds refining capacity couldn't cope with demand !!
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Mutton Geoff
If you fill up a light plane with fuel and fly it out of the country, you fill in a simple form and the HMRC refunds the duty it charged on the fuel (currently 30.03p a litre for Avgas). Same applies for ships. A typical light plane holds 5-6 hours of fuel yet from the south east, you can be in France in less than 30 mins, so for an hours flight there and back you've got yourself the balance of the tank of duty free fuel ;-)

Shame it doesn't apply to cars leaving the country!

On a long journey last week I wasn't in any hurry, traffic was steady on the motorways so I tried a very light footed drive and was surprised that the mpg shown on the display went up from it's average 45-48mpg to a whopping 58mpg (actually got it to 60mpg up the M1 but fell back once I was on hilly A roads). That's a 20% saving so I now look at my diesel costing £1 a litre and drive with economy in mind.

It's a shame more drivers don't view the brake pedal as a "fuel dump" as any press just turns their hard earned into wasted heat.
Petrol / diesel -- 85 / 95p per litre - Nickdm
This'll make you weep: unleaded is 20p/litre in Dubai! Can't run diesel cars out here though, they only sell rough unrefined diesel which the trucks can tolerate but modern diesel-engined cars cannot.

Oh, and car prices are 30%-50% cheaper than the UK. It's motoring Disneyland :-)