Cracked tyre valves/pressure sensors - peteraj
Back in March, I had four new tyres fitted to my leased Citroen C5 by well known tyre fitter as required by the leasing company. In the last week of July I had the low tyre pressure warning for the N/S Front wheel. I pulled in within a mile or two to a service station for air, but on fitting the hose onto the valve, it broke off. I started to change the aluminium wheel, but had to call the RAC as I couldn't budge the wheel from the hub (clearly the "WKTF" had not copper greased the hubs). The leasing company then required me to use a Citroen dealer to replace the valve/sensor and initially wanted to charge me for the privilege. However, I argued successfully that the valve must have been damaged and that the damage could not have been caused in normal motoring. Then, last week, with the car having been idle for two weeks, the pressure warning appeared again, this time for the O/S Front. I didn't try to add air before I inspected the wheel and, sure enough, the valve/sensor is cracked. One changed wheel later (thanks RAC - no thanks to "WKTF") and the leasing company are now interested in finding out if this is normal through their channels. I thought I'd try this independent route as a fan of Honest John. Anyone out there who can throw any light on the situation as I'm now fearful for the back wheels!

Edited by Pugugly on 27/08/2008 at 18:57

Cracked tyre valves/pressure sensors - Screwloose
The obvious suggestion is a careless "WKT" fitter. If your lease company will insist that you go to such places....

Edited by Pugugly on 27/08/2008 at 18:58

Cracked tyre valves/pressure sensors - Felix
I had exactly the same fate befall my C5 a few months ago. The RAC man that kindly removed the wheel after it had flattened itself when I tried to put some air in it said that the valve are very prone to break in this manner and, once one goes, the others are quite likely to follow. So not sure the fitter can really be blamed - I think it's one feature on an otherwise very nice car that's more trouble than it's worth.