00 1.8t ABS fault - intermittent - PeterRed
I have been getting intermittent ABS warnings for the last couple of weeks while on holiday driving through France. It was making the wife very nervous despite my reassurances...... I haven't had a chance to plug in VAG-COM yet because my laptop is not working.

I get 3 beeps followed by "Brake Fault", "See Service Manual" and then "Stop"!! Accompanied by a yellow ABS light and a flashing brake warning light. It happens intermittently and usually clears itself - sometimes immediately, sometimes up to 40 miles later. It then might recur a couple of hours later.

There's plenty of brake fluid. I've tried unplugging the ABS wiring from its socket and refitting in case it's a loose connection. The fluid is bled every 3 years so should be OK. Help.
00 1.8t ABS fault - intermittent - Screwloose

An ABS warning will only be for an ABS fault. Check the front wheel sensors are pushed right home; but there are known issues with the ABS modules around that year.

A code read is the place to start.
Managed to get the laptop & VAG-COM going this morning :

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 B
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 FRONT D10
Software Coding: 0273004283
Work Shop Code: BB 24332
1 Fault Found:
01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

Does this help further? Thanks.
00 1.8t ABS fault - intermittent - Screwloose

Anything similar stored in the pod?

The ABS has a twin data link to the electronics in the pod on ABS pins 30 [green/blue] and 10 [green] to pod pins 11a and 11b respectively.

Don't overlook a power feed fault either - they don't leave codes.
Excuse my ignorance but what's "the pod"? Is it something else I can read with VAG-COM diagnostics?
00 1.8t ABS fault - intermittent - elekie&a/c doctor
The pod is the instrument cluster.However from your description of the fault and the dtcs logged ,it very likely to be a fault in the abs controller ,which is attached to the abs modulator by 6 torx screws.These are usually easily repaired,a new unit is around £400+.hth
Thanks. No faults in the instrument cluster according to VAG-COM.

Some more Googling suggests that the ABS controller is the likely culprit. £400+ sounds like a bit of a nuisance. I suppose it's an MOT failure so I've got no choice. I found this link which might be an option for someone more handy with a soldering iron than me:
www.lbak.dk/Audi/Repair_ABS_unit_passat.pdf
00 1.8t ABS fault - intermittent - elekie&a/c doctor
If you are taking the "new unit" route,then it may be possible to source it cheaper from a Bosch service agent.There should be a Bosch part #on the black plastic housing but is usually only visible with the unit off the car.Btw a new Ecu will need variant coding ,but as you have Vag-com that is not a problem.
Just an update - I removed the electronics portion of the ABS unit and sent it to BBA-Reman for repair for £128 incl VAT & delivery. All seems well now that I've refitted it. Fingers crossed that it won't recur - it was causing a lot of stress with 'er indoors........