01 fails MOT due to corrosion - Al68
Our 7 year old Punto with an 8 year anti-perforation warranty has just failed the MOT because of holes in the floor pan in the rear passenger footwells. Too close to the seat belt mounting points. Has anyone had similar problems? Fiat say that it was caused by poor jacking practice and will not pay for repairs!

Edited by Pugugly on 22/08/2008 at 23:36

01 fails MOT due to corrosion - drivewell
My wife has a 2002 Punto which has just passed its 4th MoT. I was giving it the 'once over' prior to the test and found corrosion starting around some of the rear footwell seams. However, I'm also conscious that the shape of the floor pan on these could make it quite easy to jack them incorrectly, especially with a trolley jack. Fiat could be right.
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - mike hannon
How many times is a car jacked up in seven years, for goodness sake?
And Fiat could be right about jacking them incorrectly, because of the original bad design?
Another thread is full of complaints about Vauxhalls falling to bits.
Why do people buy this sub-standard junk?
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - jc2
Must be something to do with the galvanizing!!!!
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - PR {P}
Does this warranty require the yearly inspection? If so has this been done?
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - Paul I
time for an independent engineers report i think. will save you £000's
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - oilrag
Our Punto`s are like new underneath. One is in its 7th year.
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - Another John H
>>Our Punto`s are like new underneath. One is in its 7th year.

See also the thread about checking underneath, greasing, etc etc. :)
01 fails MOT due to corrosion - Al68
I was hoping to hear that it was a common problem but looks like it's not so. Inspection is required at 3 and 5 years to validate the warranty. It had a three year service with Fiat but either they forgot to check or forgot to enter the inspection in the service book. I forgot about taking it in at the 5 year mark and they don't remind you.

Suggest all have a good scratch at the underseal just behind the reinforced area near the rear jacking point, not to hard, just enough to see if the corrosion is under the underseal.