Noisy tappets on a Laguna? - Emerson Fittipaldi
I have an 'R' Plate 1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 (8 Valve) RT Sport. It is suffering from very noisy tappets. After taking it to various garages and even having the problem diagnosed as the cam lifters (which these were replaced), the problem still persists. I have changed the oil for some good quality Castrol GTX Magnatec 10/40w, it is slightly quieter, but they seem excessively noisy to me, compared to other Laguna's of the same engine I have heard. I know that this is not the best engine in the world, or the most powerful, but i'm sure it should be quiter than this? Any idea's? P.s The noise seems to quieten down with 97ron super plus fuel in??
Noisy tappets on a Laguna? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
This engine does not have hydraulic self adjusting tappets. The valve clearances are set with shims. The correct clearances are inlet .20mm, exhaust .40mm with the engine cold. A loose cambelt will make the tappets sound noisy. Setting the valve clearances on these engines is a real fag, very time consuming (allow 1/2 a day) assuming you have access to a comprehensive set of shims, which,by the way, the dealers dont often keep in stock and you can see why it doesn't get done! I am a little puzzled when you say that the noise quietens down when you use 97 octane fuel, could it be you are mistaking pinking for tappet noise?
Hi Andrew. Thanks for that info. Well it looks as if the garage has been lying to me again! As to your last question, it is certainly the tappets and not pinking, but the weird thing is, Higher octane fuel does seem to quieten the noise down slightly? I will certainly get them to check the cam belt. The last thing I want is the damn thing to break on the motorway! Thanks again.
Noisy tappets on a Laguna? - james_60
Hi

Why not try using Engine flush

Go down to Halfords and buy a bottle, add it to you're oil drive a hundred miles then change the oil and filter and all the crud will be gone in the oil and the engine will be clean.

The tappets should be click free

James Stephenson
As andrew said above, they are not hydraulic self adjusters but shims. I doubt very much that some engine flush would make much differnece here, plus the 30 odd quid i've just spent on the Magnatec would be pointless. I think Andrew is correct in saying that this needs to go back into the garage (as it's still under warranty) to be re-shimmed, as obviously they did'nt do it right last time it went in. Also can anyone with the same engine, confirm to me if theres is excessively noisy? If not i'll bang some of that Motor-up (LOL) in it, and sell it quick!