Rejecting a car bought from a broker - Optimist
Is there any difference in the procedure for rejecting a duff car if you've got it from a broker rather than from a dealer?

(Hypotheticeal, btw.)

Edited by Optimist on 19/08/2008 at 11:01

Rejecting a car bought from a broker - NowWheels
Is there any difference in the procedure for rejecting a duff car if you've got
it from a broker rather than from a dealer?

Surely that depends on who your contract is with?

Some brokers arrange things so that your contract is with the dealer, but I dunno if that's the case with all of them.

Edited by NowWheels on 19/08/2008 at 12:03

Rejecting a car bought from a broker - Optimist
Good point.

If the contract's with the dealer I can't see a difference. But if the contract's with the broker?

Rejecting a car bought from a broker - DavidHM
If the contract is with the broker then they could argue that the phrase "satisfactory quality" ought to take into account the price paid and a minor defect, rectifiable for less than the saving over a local dealer price/list price ought not to constitute a breach of contract.

Alternatively they could state that satisfactory quality may be lower for a pre-registered than a nearly new car.

But both are pretty thin arguments to be honest.

Other than that the Sale of Goods Act will apply identically whether the seller is a broker or a dealer, on the clear basis that they are both businesses. In practical terms a broker *may* be more reluctant to refund than a dealer, but the idea that all main dealers are established, benevolent businesses and all brokers are sharks surviving from one tiny margin deal to the next doesn't strike me as very accurate.
Rejecting a car bought from a broker - AF
If bought other than 'face to face' what about the Distance Selling Regulations.