2002 1.8 Inlet Manifold - ajitnayak
My car was jerking and nealy cutting out on low gears. I took it to Drive Vauxhall to find out what the problem was. The fault codes that came up with the computer diagonstics are: P0120, P0220, P1550, P0100, P0110. The garage say that I have a cracked inlet manifold. They showed me a hairline crack running along the side.

Any advice? Are the error codes consistent with a cracked inlet manifold? Do I need to address this urgently? The garage said they have cleaned the throttle body, which seems to have stopped the nearly cutting out problem for now.

The dealer garage say that if I don't fix the inlet manifold crack the car will fail its MOT (due in the next couple of weeks). They say they can weld the crack and also need to replace a couple of alternator bolts. All for £220.

How can I know if the car will fail the MOT? Is welding a good idea or should I go for a second hand inlet manifold? How much do alternator bolts cost? The quoted £66 to start with, but now say £10.21!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/08/2008 at 19:45

52 1.8 Inlet Manifold - Screwloose

Inlet manifold cracked; or exhaust manifold?

You've got a range of electronic throttle codes there and a pair of MAF/inlet air temp sensor codes which might be an ECU pin fault.
52 1.8 Inlet Manifold - ajitnayak
The garage said inlet manifold. The part no is 90536060.

What should I do with the throttle code faults? The initial problem of jerking and nearly cutting out seems to have been cured by cleaning the throttle body. I haven't really driven the car a lot since I've had it back so don't know if it will reccur.
52 1.8 Inlet Manifold - topbloke
never ever seen a inlet manifold cracked, why dont you ask them to do an emmisions test on the vehicle, that would prove it oneway or another, usually if there is a leak (air) the idle speed is a lot higher and the throttle body/ecu would struggle to keep the rev's down
52 1.8 Inlet Manifold - ajitnayak
The car does rev up when I change gears, but not when idle.

Which is recommended, welding the inlet manifold or getting a secondhand one? How much do alternator bolts cost, £66 or £10.21?