Car problem and new car advice - CarNovice28
My R-reg Fiesta Chicane has just had repairs after an MOT failure. I have been advised to keep no longer than 6 months.

The car has been idle for just short of a week and is now juddering in lower gears, as if the gear chosen is too low, when I know for a fact it isn't.

Someone said it's probably dampness somewhere after not been used for a while but I'm not sure.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a new/used car - city runabout really, but will do very occasional motorway driving. A lot of my journeys will be short - I do less than 5000 miles a year.

I've looked at several car sites and a used Jazz or Yaris seem reasonable options, or a new Mazda2 or Corsa.

If I was looking at the real budget end, an Aygo or Hyundai i10 would be possibles.

Obviously, I need to go and test drive these cars first to get a feel for them but just wondered what everyone thought.

Many thanks.

Car problem and new car advice - Avant
The advantage of buying new is peace of mind through having a warranty for at least 3 years (5 for a Hyundai). I'd have thought that an Aygo (or Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1) or an i10 would meet your needs perfectly. There's apparently a longish waiting list for i10s, and generally Toyota dealers (Aygo) are better than those for Peugeot or Citroen.

If you need to take people in the back often, these won't be so good - just decide on the size of car you need and then go and test drive the ones on your list. It might be worth buying the What Car or Top Gear road test summaries (from the bigger newsagents) or looking on whatcar.com.

Good luck!
Car problem and new car advice - ifithelps
Corsas have had a bit of hiding on here recently, so it looks like they've dropped back in the supermini stakes.

Most people would say the Aygo is a better quality product than the C1 or 107.

If you buy new, you'll probably want to take it back to the supplying dealer for servicing etc, so buying from a dealer near your home/work is also a consideration.
Car problem and new car advice - NowWheels
Most people would say the Aygo is a better quality product than the C1 or 107.

Are these "most people" aware that the C1, 107 and Aygo are all made on the same production line?
Thank you for your suggestions.

I think the problem I'm experiencing at the moment is damp spark plugs but I couldn't be sure.

Looks like I'd have to take it to a garage.

I think the Mazda 2 is probably a better overall car but would cost more.

Hyundai and Toyota dealers are close. Mazda dealers are a fair bit further out.

Have arranged test drives of the Aygo and i10.

Thanks.
Car problem and new car advice - runboy
I'll stick my hand up for the i10 (probably becasue we have one on order). Officially there is a 3 month wait for the 1.1 but we ordered in April and were told to expect to take delivery on 1st Sept. However the 1.2 was anounced around June time so we changed our order. The dealer has told us two tales recently: 1) Hopefully the car will be here sometime in September and 2) All 1.2's ordered are on a boat over to the UK as we speak (not sure if that is one of the same thing!). Either way fingers are crossed for delivery in a month or two.

I would guess 95% of roadtests from around the world have rated the i10 very high. The other 5% rated it as good! Autocar did a group test with the Twingo, Panda, Agila and the i10 came out on top. Handling is good for a car that size (I think it is has class leading wheelbase) and the gearbox is very slick to use.

Good luck if you get any discount as dealers will have 5 people behind you wanting to buy. We had a car show locally at the weekend and the i10 was being looked over by a number of people

We have the mid-spec Comfort model on order, with such items as air con, remote locking, electric windows and mirrors, MP3 cd player, 4 airbags (4* NCAP rating), under seat storage, glovebox (something some of the C1/107 gang miss out on), hight adjustable drivers seat, alloys, front fogs, split fold rear seat, twin boot floor with storage underneath thingy, £35 a year tax etc.

Bottom line is I would encourage a test of the i10, but can you put up with the wait? We did nearly jack it all in and go for a used Fiesta the other day, but seeing the i10 again at the car show pulled us back on track to hang on in there.
Car problem and new car advice - Optimist
There's a thread on here now about a Renault Clio Campus new for £5995.

Seems good for the money.

Good luck.

True. Also Hyundai have just lowered the price of a Getz 1.1GSi down to the same, £5995. Comes with aircon too.
Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I have about 4/5 months before I'll need to change so I'll test drive first and make a decision.

Car problem and new car advice - jc2
The one no one has mentioned and you could buy new-KA.
I test drove both the Aygo and i10 today and the i10 wins hands down.

Lovely smooth and refined ride with a very nippy engine.

Just getting some quotes together to throw back to the dealer. Best I can get a Classic for (08) is £6366.

Car problem and new car advice - mikeyb
Dont be pushed into completing before the end of the month unless there is something in it for you - I would wait until September and get a 58 plate as its so close.
Just out of interest, what could the problem be with my current car? Damp spark plugs? Or something more serious?

Car problem and new car advice - oldnotbold
I doubt it's damp plugs. Could need new plug leads etc., as they don't last forever, and often give the same symptoms.

Car problem and new car advice - DP
Coil pack failure is a common problem on these, and would give the symptoms you describe. Nowhere near expensive or serious enough to warrant getting shot of the car, but you'd want the diagnosis confirmed.

Why were you advised to get rid?

Cheers
DP
Car problem and new car advice - Benjurs73
Hi There

We also have a 10+year old Fiesta and had exactly the same problem, juddering as in a too higher gear, Kangerooing down the road etc

We took ours to a local garage and they cleaned the spark plugs (I reckon only ran a cloth over them it only cost us £5) and this solved the problem for about 1-2 months.

So I went out and brought a new set (£20) and fitted them myself....very easy....and running like clockwork now...

Hope that helps

Benjurs
Car problem and new car advice - zookeeper
be careful if you change the plugs , old fiestas were notorious for breaking the plugs as you tried to remove them as they were taper fit with no washer and they tended to rust to the head
Thanks everyone.

I'll call the garage in the morning and let them know. If it's anything massively serious, I'll probably sell the car for scrap!

In reply to DP - I tihnk it was purely because the garage thought that I would have to keep chucking money at the car and it wasn't worth the expense.

I trust the garage - they are Bosch approved and have always been fair and reasonable whenever I've spoken with them.

Booked in for tomorrow morning - hopefully won't take all day!

Will advertise my own car privately via a note on one of the windows! Part ex will be poor value.

It's dented on either side of the front bumper due to accidents but doesn't look overly bad. There is a bit of paint peel from a bad paint job.

I would probably expect about £750, as the car has a FSH and is MOTd until next August.

Hyundai dealer refusing to budge on price at the moment - getting a few other quotes and will have to print them to show them to him I think.

I'll ask tomorrow about why I was advised to get rid within 6 months - garage proprietor told my Dad this and I wondered why but didn't want to mither!

Water had rusted the inside of one of the plug leads and had forced it off the plug.

New set of plugs and leads later and good as new!

www.carselect.lloydstsb.com/NewCarQuote.aspx?id=18...6

Would someone please look over this site and offer and tell me whether they recommend it? The final price with metallic paint here would be £6673.54. However, the local Hyundai dealer won't go anywhere near that.

The salesman wondered from where the car was being sourced but it appears to be UK spec etc.

I am going to try and sell my own car privately. I don't feel I'm rushing into this which is good - I don't even feel I need to test drive any other cars!

Perhaps I should try a few others to see how they compare.

Thanks.
Car problem and new car advice - Optimist
Far as I know LLoyds TSB source through UK dealers so there's no reason why your car shouldn't be the same as any other UK car. If it's a driven delivery to you it might have 100+ miles on it when you get it. Discount isn't huge. What's the delivery time they're quoting?

Others have suggested you wait (for a 1.2?) but that's up to you.

I would suggest you think about the 1.2 - it is new tech, more performance and same road tax. Do some searches on the engine and see what others say - you'll be impressed.

I suspect any broker you get a quote from will be ordering from a dealer and will have the same long delivery times. If not I'd like to know!
What repairs did the car need to pass the MoT, and why did the garage advise disposing of it? At that age it's not going down in value, so it could be cheap motoring, unless it's going to need lots more spending on it for successive MoTs.
Brake pipes, one strut, back bushes, water pump.

Tyres will need replacing within 6 months. Front flexies are perished. Brake fluid is slightly discoloured.

Quite a lot of advisory warnings.

Might wait for the 1.2, though I was told by dealer that he thought that the tax was higher with the new engine.

"Tyres will need replacing within 6 months. Front flexies are perished. Brake fluid is slightly discoloured."

Total bill for that lot will be no more than £300, and the tyres will last say three years, the flexies four plus years, and the brake fluid three years.

Advisories may or may not need money spending on them at/before the next MoT.

You are now in what is called bangernomics. Car is of almost nil value, but requires modest spending to keep it safe and legal. Despite that, it's probably a good enough car for some purposes, and can be kept running for a long time, so long as you don't mind about image, or fuss about having the latest gadgets.
The 1.2 is the same emission as the 1.1, that is the big sales push Hyundai are making and also all the reviews. Can't remember about fuel consumption though, but from what I read power/torque is up, refinement is better, and it is a chain cam engine rather than belt.

One thing I am interested in but can't find out is if insurance groups for the 1.2 will be higher.
Car problem and new car advice - Avant
The 1.2 won't need to be worked as hard to give decent performance, so fuel consumption should be no worse, possibly a little better.

Edited by Avant on 16/08/2008 at 00:32

In the last year, I've had a new clutch and exhaust on the car, so I guess everything is quite healthy really, apart from the advisories which will definitely need replacing within 6 months.

Thank you for all your replies - it's given me a lot to think about.

If I bought used, what would you suggest?

Thanks.