1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - jonlucpicard
Hi, i have just bought a 1996 405 executive TD estate and i am getting a booming noise and vibration coming from behind the dashboard, probably the engine bay. (Not had chance to investigate due to the weather).
It increases and decreases with engine speed.
There is no noticable drop in power the car starts fine and has plenty of power and isn't overheating.
It's definately engine related, i am thinking exhaust downpipe.
Also the rev counter isn't working, any ideas?
I am going to phone a mechanic tomorrow and get it looked at.
Cheers
Jon

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/08/2008 at 14:56

1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - Peter.N.
Without hearing it, its difficult to say, but the exhaust down pipe would be a good place to start, it could be touching part of the structure and transmitting engine noise to the body. Could also be failure of one of the engine mountings - especially the top one.
Well the car was in the garage this morning and it turns out the engine does not belong in that car and does not fit properly, so the car needs a new engine, not only that but driving it has damaged the engine mounts, drive shaft bearings, drive shafts and probably the wheel bearings.
1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - Screwloose

That sounds highly implausible; get a second opinion.
1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - Martin1981
Definitely get a second opinion, though it might be that the original 1.9TD engine has been replaced by an older engine, possibly the 1.8TD which was used in the 405TD prior to 1992 at which point the 405 was given a facelift and they started shoving the 1.9 lumps in. Or it could be that the car originally had the non-turbo engine in which has been replaced by its turbocharged sister and has been a bit of a botched job.

Worth investigating.

Martin
Sorry for the delay in replying, i've been away on holiday.
The car is a 1996 and according the the guy who sold it to me the engine came out of a 1997 306 D-turbo. I have been thinking the same thing about getting a second opinion, the only problem is that the car is no longer insured as i had to put my old car back on my policy. So i'll have to look at ways of getting the car to a garage or see if a mechanic will come to the car to have a look.
Update, the problem, i think, is that there is a bracket missing.
It bolts to the top of the gearbox and then the engine mount bolts to the bracket.
The bracket would allow the engine to sit slightly further forward. I have sourced a second hand bracket and am awaiting delivery.

The rev counter isn't working, i am told that there should be a TDC sensor on the bellhousing but i can't find it does anyone know exactly where it is?

cheers
Jon
1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - Martin1981
It is possible that this missing bracket could be to blame for the vibration. I'm not sure about the TDC sensor.

If the engine came from a 306TD, then this should make no difference as the 405 and Phase 1 306TD's use exactly the same 1.9TD engine.

Martin
1996 1.9 Noise and vibration - Peter.N.
The TDC sensor is fairly tight against the bottom of the head where it meets the belhousing. There should be a two pin plug and socket near it, check tihis for poor connections. You can also check the continuity of the sensor from this plug as it can be a pig to get out.
Rev counter now fixed, it was plugged into the wrong plug.