1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Kildrummy
My Ford Puma has an intermittent problem where the ABS and Traction control warning lights come on and go off, at the same time the heater starts blowing hot air, even when set to cold. There also seems to be a slight loss of power when this happens. I have had the car diagnostically checked and a fault showed up with the ABS module. I have since changed the module but the fault remains. The car also has an intermittent rough idling problem which I don't think is connected to the ABS issue. I have spoken to a mechanic at the local Ford dealer and they have never heard of the problem I described. I am confused.
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Screwloose

What was the fault code found in the ABS module?

Anyone thought of checking the feeds and, particularly, the earths?
I don't know what the fault code was other than it showed a historical fault left in the system. When this was cleared from the memory the system showed it was clear and there was no ongoing fault..

Do you mean the feed to the ABS module itself? All the connections in the module plug were checked and found to be OK.

Intermittent faults do sometimes leave stored [historic] codes; no point in just checking when the problem isn't there....

Any clues from the other modules; engine, A/C etc?
The only other clue was that there was an engine idling problem with an explanation of either lean mixture or weak mixture. but again it was a historic fault that had been logged and when it was cleared the system showed that everything was fine. This is the real pain of intermittent faults, they happen on the way home from work and when you get to the garage the car runs fine. I am going to fit a new fuel filter to see if that helps with the idling.

You garage seems very cavalier with stored codes: by it's own definition, an intermittent fault isn't happening under test conditions, so recorded codes are priceless.

Any chance they bothered to write the code numbers down?

As several different systems are being affected simultaneously; I still think all the earth points warrant a check.
I will check out some of the earth points tonight.

On the subject of codes when the ABS fault showed up the suggestion from the diagnostic computer was "Replace the ABS control module" which I did but the same problem exists. My gut feeling is that the problem is somehow related to the engine overheating. the fact that the heater would start blowing hot air when the ABS and traction control lights came on and the fact that the car had been losing coolant for some time, now repaired with a bottle of Radweld. having said that the temp gauge stays at normal. I do believe that the Puma can suffer from heater control valve problems. Still confused.
My gut feeling is that the problem is somehow related to the engine overheating.

That's new info; let's hear a bit more about that? Where was this leak - and don't put any more Radweld in these systems.
The leak I believe was in the radiator. The coolant would need to be topped up every couple of weeks. My thinking was that this may have had something to do with the heater suddenly blowing out hot air when the ABS and Traction control lights came on + it only seems to happen when your driving at dual carriage-way speeds (We don't have any motorways) It never happens at slow speed.

Maybe the alternator is overcharging?
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Cty
Abs/TCS lights: this is usually a failed ABS sensor. As there are 4 on the car the fault code should tell you which one.

The heater problem is unrelated and is usually down to the HCV (heater control valve). Whehn fitting a replacement, use a genuine Ford one with part code ending 'AC'. Earlier 'AA' and 'AB' ones are known to cause over heating.

If you car is losing a lot of water check the engine block core plugs. If it leaks coolant will escape, usually into the top of the engine amongst the spark plugs, frequently causing misfire.
The fault code indicated that the ABS control unit had the fault, which I changed but the problem persisted just the same. I have spoken to a Ford mechanic and he agreed that there should be know way that the ABS and the heater problem could be related, however it does always happens at the same time. The HCV and the ABS control unit are quite close to each other so I suppose there could be some sort of short in the cabling.

Is it possible that the root problem could be the HCV valve causing the ABS lights to come on???. When this problem occurs the car also feels like it loses power for a few seconds, similar to the effect you get when you switch on the A/C.
I think you might be quite accurate with your suggestion that the alternator is overcharging because if you have the wipers on when the ABS and T/C lights come on the wipers start to go really fast and if the headlights are on they will become much brighter than normal.

It seems like there is some sort of power surge intermittently happening. I presume there is some sort of voltage regulator delaing with the power from the alternator which may also be the culprit.

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/09/2008 at 14:43

On that year, the regulator for the alternator should be inside the engine ECU; get the fault-codes read and see if there's something about alternator voltage stored.

A visual check of the alternator wiring loom is always worthwhile too.
I will give that a try and report back with my findings. Thanks
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Waspy
Dear all,

I'm a Puma 1.7 1997 owner from Holland and suffering from exactly the same problem as described above.
And when using the a/c, the a/c switches off after some time and the heater start blowing hot air at full power.

Today I tried to measure some voltages, as my gut feeling says it's voltage related. Like a some sort of voltage drop that causes the abs sensors to become faulted.
I noted a drop in voltage when a/c was turned on as well as voltage drops due to heating. Could it be that there is some sort of critical voltage needed by the abs and heating sensors? And what part of the car could cause the problem? - Generator?,Regulator?

I also noted one day the backscreen wiper going very fast. Also sometimes headlights and dashboard lights become very bright. I don't know whether the bright or the dimmed lights belong to normal operating conditions.

I hope someone knows this problem and more important, can provide a solution.
Kind regards,
Waspy
Waspy, your problem sounds ver much the same as the one I had. I got my local garage to check the voltage that the alternator was producing and it was just over 15 volts. I believe it should be just over 14 volts. While we were chcking the voltage and reving the engine. the needle momentarily went off the high end of the scale. This confirmed my feelings that the the alternator was causing my problems.

I bought a second hand alternator from one of the on-line breaker web sites for less than £30, a new one was going to be around £120. The alternator was fitted nearly two weeks ago and now the problem is gone.

I hope this works for you.

Thanks to the people who offered their advice with my problem.
Thanks for yours advice, seems I will have to look out for a second hand alternator then.

Cheers!
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - jinjerjulia
Hi,
You both seem to start off with the same problem as I'm having at the moment - my abs and traction control light is permenantly on. A mechinal has done a diagnosis but has found nothing. When you changed the voltage did this turn the lights off as well as fix your other problems? I've noticed now that when I brake the radio goes fuzzy which does imply there's an electrical fault... unfortunately Ford want to charge me £85 to do a diagnosis check of their own which is crazy considering I've already had it done, plus will probably cost me a fortune to get the electrics fixed. Any help would be great! Thanks

The difference being that Ford will likely find the fault code that your garage's equipment couldn't.
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Dot
Hi Kildrummy, I have exactly the same problem as you ??had?? with your Puma. I noticed you changed the alternator and just wondered if it permanently cured the problem.....???? Hope the car is running well for you now. Thanks very much. Dot
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Miffi
Dot, I'm having the same problem on my 2001 1.6 Puma - did you try the alternator thing?
Dear all,

I recently bought a new alternator which resolved all my electronic related issues.

Result:
- no ABS lights burning
- heating performs normal
- airco working properly
- I even suspect the car to run more fuel efficient

The original alternator caused the voltage to become 17.8V from time to time.
Appearantly this caused the malfunctioning of the electronics.
Unfortunately it blew my touchscreen car radio as well :(

So, if you experience the problems described in this thread, check the voltage of your car while the motor is running. Voltage incorrect? -> replace alternator!

Good luck
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - Miffi
I got a new alternator too and like you, it's solved all my problems - thank goodness, was getting a bit fed up being roasted!!
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - lazygti
Hi, i'm a newbie and i'm having the same problems described - ABS and Traction control lights constantly on, and the heater is roasting all the time.
I have a 1999 1.7 Puma, and I've checked the voltage at the battery both when not running and when running.
engine off = 12.6v
engine on = 14.26v
seems to make n diffeence if i'm on motorway of through the town.
are there any other suggestions because obviously my alternator is ok.

cheers
1998 1.7 ABS Lights - DrunkPunk

hi all

new to honest john but you guys just cured my headache with this thread.

with regards to checking this problem, if your puma has the lcd screen you can put it in test mode by holding the reset button in before you turn the key to start it and hold it in for about 10 seconds after its started. in this mode you can find fault codes and other stuff, you can also check the battery charge which is what i did, you select batt by scrolling through with the reset button on the clocks (it should read about 14 volts) then take it for a drive. thats what i did and mine spiked 17-19 volts and the abs light, heater, lights and wipers went mad.

hope this helps like you helped me.