Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - craig-pd130
I've seen some B7 A4 2.0 diesels that have twin exhausts, and others with a single exhaust.

Do the 4wd variants have twin pipes for packaging reasons, or is it a cost option on any car?

Just curious, as the VW Passat using essentially the same floorpan and engine only ever has a single exhaust I believe ....
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - a900ss
I thought that they all had twin pipes however the 140hp has twin pipes exiting on the left rear of the car but the 168hp has a single pipe venting either side.

Edited by a900ss on 30/07/2008 at 13:17

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - rtj70
I always assumed Audi's with an exhaust either side was probably down to the 4x4 system. But could be wrong.

Also the current Passat is based on the Golf V floor pan and not an Audi one. Previous Passat did share floorpan with Audi A4/A6 and meant the engine was longitudinal.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - cjehuk
Two on the left it's a TDI 140, one either side it's a TDI 170 whether Quattro or not.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - rtj70
You're probably right - can you get a Quattro with only 140 PS diesel engines? Maybe all exhausts for the more powerful engines accomodate the Quattro driveline?

... and the photos on Audi's configurator have twin exhausts for only the v-engines (2.7 and 3.0) and none of the 2.0 TDIs. Website wrong?

Edited by rtj70 on 31/07/2008 at 00:45

My sister in law has an A4 estate quattro with the 140PS motor.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - daveyjp
"and the photos on Audi's configurator have twin exhausts for only the v-engines"

The configurator will now be for the B8 version - assuming you are configuring a new one.

It appears saloon 140 Quattro is not available - a used search reveals none for sale, but loads of 170s.

Edited by daveyjp on 31/07/2008 at 09:53

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - bbroomlea{P}
This is correct. My dad has the 170ps A4 s-line and has the exhausts either side. A work colleague has the 140 version and its the same as my B6 A4 with the exhausts together out of the left.

Out of curiosity - does anyone know why, or is it for show to say its a 170?

To add further confusion, I was following a 55-plate 2.0 TDI Avant estate (non-quattro) which had twin tailpipes exiting on the left (passenger) side, then later the same day, a 57-plate A4 2.0 TDI cabrio with single tailpipe, one each side of the car ....

Very strange.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - a900ss
That's normal.

The estate had twin tailpipes exiting on the left as it was a 140hp version, the cabrio must have had the 170hp engine, hence one tailpipe either side.

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - gmac
The single tailpipe either side of the car is to indicate the less reliable CR diesels so hated on here. They are configured this way so you can insert two scaffold pipes and push the car home wheelbarrow style :)
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - wantone
Nice one gmac got me chuckling.
Aye up, ive got a avant how dare you!
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - gmac
I forgot to mention the scaffold pipes are available in stainless steel with manufacturers logo from the accessories booklet at only £500 per side. Weight and space saving carbon fibre options can be ordered at £1500 per side but unfortunately a can of gunk is not yet available...
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - Pugugly
My ever so 'umble Skoda PD 105 bhp has very discrete twin exhausts as well.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - cheddar
I followed an 08 plate new model 2.0 TDi Avant this PM, it had two pipes on the left, is this then a 140 and if so is it a CR or PD? I thought all new ones are CR.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - John F
My ever so polite A6 2.8 has only one exhaust pipe which can only be seen from underneath.
It is not only poor design but also rather vulgar to be able to see exhaust pipes from the rear......especially two of them........and especially if they have been noisily enlarged to the in-your-face bean can size.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - Lud
Yes, side exhausts are much better, especially if the car is race tuned. You can lift off suddenly as you pass a G-Whiz and envelop it in a sheet of flame. That'll learn it.
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - Alby Back
My Westfield had a most unsubtle side exhaust. My wife used to burn her leg on it regularly. Luckily it was chrome and solvol autosol would get the marks off a treat.......
Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - Kyrano

What is the difference beween the CR and PD engine?

Can the single exhausts on the left and right side be retro fitted to the 140 model

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - idle_chatterer

The CR engine is refined, tractable and economical, the 170PD wasn't any of those things in my experience. To put this in context, the 330d I replaced my 170PD with has averaged 20% more mpg (at 46mpg) over a similar mileage (23K) and driving conditions and has used 100% less oil (at none versus 1L every 7K miles for the 170PD). It's not gutless at below 2000rpm either, I could go on....

The 170PD has the separate pipes - one either side, it also has a DPF. V6 Diesels also have this arrangement as do 140PD Cabriolets (which also have a DPF).

I'd avoid the 170PD myself, I think that the PD technology with a DPF was being stretched to the limits with this engine, I would hope that 140PDs without DPF are better and my limited experience of VAG CR diesels would suggest they are a big improvement too.

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - galileo
My Westfield had a most unsubtle side exhaust. My wife used to burn her leg on it regularly. Luckily it was chrome and solvol autosol would get the marks off a treat.......

A wife with a chrome leg must be rare and valuable. :-)

Why do some Audi A4 2.0TDis have twin exhausts? - bathtub tom

>>A wife with a chrome leg must be rare and valuable. :-)

Macca's must have been a cheap substitute. ;>)