01 1.8 "Gutless" - Boggy
I don't exactly drive like my hair's on fire, and I'm proud to be nicknamed Captain Slow at work (perhaps I should change my identity like Shoespy!) but I've noticed a definite drop in performance lately, especially pulling onto busy roundabouts (having to wait for a bigger gap these days) - is there any way I can noticeably and safely improve the performance of a car using parts / additives off the shelf? I had a diagnostic done and it said 'EGR valve flow malfunction' and I intend to get this sorted, but will it cure the car's sluggishness? Now fuel prices are dropping I can use Tesco's 'good stuff', the 99 octane, but a combination of the higher octane fuel and Redex doesn't seem to have any real effect. It gets an Italian tune up twice a day on the dual carriageway to and from work (I'm not thrashing it!), but how can I blow the cobwebs out without knackering the car or getting 3 points and a fine? Will a K&N filter and performance plugs have any real benefit?

And no, I will never buy one of those stupid over-sized exhausts, don't worry :-)

01 1.8 "Gutless" - MikeTorque
First you need to get the EGR problem sorted out.

To clean the inside of the engine use BP Ultimate fuel.
01 1.8 "Gutless" - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Tescos 'good stuff'......... now theres an oxymoron in the purest sense....;)
01 1.8 "Gutless" - TurboD
you don't state the mlies covered, if in excess of 150K , probably getting a bit tired.
But is less than that then , is the cat ok?, that is a good cause for slowing an engine- apart from fueling/electrics. As a poster says, get rid of any diagnostics first.
How do you know it's slower?, or is it other cars are faster?
You would need to time an acceleration over a set distance.
Clearly, if you put your foot down and it just stutters, something wrong.
Is it now fully loaded?, brakes binding?
Has regular services I presume
01 1.8 "Gutless" - Boggy
It just seems to lack the performance expected from a modern 1.8i engine. Only done 88K miles, previous owner really looked after it, serviced on schedule (most recent in May), empty apart from me most of the time, brakes OK - never considered getting the cat checked out though, will do that when I get the EGR valve sorted.

As for 'Tescos good stuff' comment, I can only presume it's a wee bit better than the regular 95 octane. But there are plenty of other threads on here debating that issue......

01 1.8 "Gutless" - Diagnostics Doc
Sounds like you need to Test the Mass Airflow Meter if the mileage is high as it will run on the lean side also you maybe able to just disconnect it and roadtest it to prove the point.. Just locate the EGR and blank it off that will sort that