I Have a Question - Volume 241 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 242 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 241. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/08/2008 at 11:23

Biggest engine ever made (continued) - rtj70
Not sure how this compares with the hybrid electric pod things on the QMII but this looks like a pretty big engine to me:

people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

In 14 cylinder form is apparently weighs 2300 tonnes! And look at the size compared to the people. Only 108,920 hp at 102 rpm though.

Looking for QM2 specs:

"The Queen Mary 2's power plant comprises both four 16-cylinder Wärtsilä 16V46CR EnviroEngine marine diesel engines generating a combined 67,200 kW (90,100 hp) at 514 rpm, as well as two General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines which together provide a further 50,000 kW (67,000 hp). "

So the one big Wärtsilä straight 14 is more powerful that each in QM2.

Question: how do you fit a recon engine in a ship ;-) I'll get my coat.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/07/2008 at 22:46

Biggest engine ever made (continued) - jbif
AFAIK, the biggest engine is 1560 MegaWatts steam turbine, as installed at the Chooz nuclear power station in France.
View of the huge HP/IP-turbine for the world largest nuclear power plant (1560MW) at Chooz, France
tinyurl.com/6xh496
tinyurl.com/6kzeyf

Biggest engine ever made (continued) - maz64
Only 108 920 hp at 102 rpm though.

But 5,608,312lb/ft of torque ain't bad.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=51...4

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23997&...e
Biggest engine ever made (continued) - drbe

I still think "my" engine is bigger!

If you look closely at this photo (link below) you can see yours truly.

www.kemptonsteam.org/tours.html
Biggest engine ever made (continued) - JH
"Only 108,920 hp at 102 rpm though."

You could probably get it chipped? :-)

JH
Biggest engine ever made (continued) - rtj70
Might make sense with the cost of fuel. You often see an increase in economy as well as improved performance.

Must be easy to work on an engine you can climb into too ;-)
Dowloading a film from t'internet to ipod. - Pugugly
Apart from iTunes anyone recommend another good (legal) download site
Dowloading a film from t'internet to ipod. - rtj70
A lot of the other sites seem to have prices similar to iTunes now though. One advantage might be getting MP3 files without DRM which is a pain with iTunes if you intend also using them on say your TomTom in the car because they are DRM protected MP4 files.

I did look at Tesco once but prices similar. I think things will change soon though.
Dowloading a film from t'internet to ipod. - maz64
EDIT sorry didn't read subject

Edited by Focus {P} on 26/07/2008 at 23:59

neither did I!?! Doh

I would think Apple is the best sort for legit films for now. As an aside it's easy to get BBC iPlayer files onto the iPod to view without DRM.

Interesting question.

Has any one else tried but failed to post from a Symbian S60 Nokis phone. Using the iPod as the fall back for now.
Sadly I've found that iPlayer plays well on my iPOD and have taken to watching stuff in all kind sof places around the house.
I meant for watching anywhere. Not just ipod. i.e. No need for an Internet connection :-)
How does that work then ?
You download via the iPlayer manager onto your PC (can be quite fast). This version is the full high quality version and not the lower quality streaming one. Trouble is DRM and it will expire. But someone on here (a mod) pointed me in the direction of a program to strip out DRM making the file work on anything and it does not expire.

So you can download missed shows and watch on the iPod or other player away from home.
Ta
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Nsar
Hi,

Does anyone what Ryanair email address they use to confirm a booking or what the subject header is in the email they send to confirm an online booking - I'm trying to find it in my inbox which is now "the size of Wales"

The subject used to be Ryanair Travel Advisory, but it's changed.

Cheers
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Nsar
Found it now. It was hiding next to Aberystwyth.

Ryanair Confirmation Email - Altea Ego
Found it now. It was hiding next to Aberystwyth.

Not nearly as well hidden as their baggage charges and T&Cs then....
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Gromit {P}
You get two emails from Ryanair these days (assuming their online booking system is working, which it more often than not isn't):

From: itinerary@ryanair.com Subject: Travel Itinerary (This should arrive shortly after you make the booking, but doesn't always, so note your booking reference from the website)

From: Ryanair Travel Advisory [info@frsc.net] Subject: Ryanair Travel Advisory (This should arrive a week before you travel)

Reminders for online checkin comes from "Ryanair Check & Go [info@ryanair-checkngo.com]" with the subject line "Ryanair Web Check In"
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Baskerville
>> Found it now. It was hiding next to Aberystwyth.
>>
Not nearly as well hidden as their baggage charges and T&Cs then....

Those are kept near to the fine sunny day in Swansea and the drinkable pint of Brains.
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Lud
Swansea and the drinkable pint
of Brains.

Sounds delectable, and such an advantage to absorb the virtues of the deceased directly, so to speak.

But have they never heard of scrapie and other spongiform encephalopathies in Swansea? Someone should warn them before it's too late.
Ryanair Confirmation Email - Baskerville
>> Swansea and the drinkable pint
>> of Brains.
>>
Sounds delectable and such an advantage to absorb the virtues of the deceased directly so
to speak.

It actually does taste a bit like that and there is rarely a head on it.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Armitage Shanks {p}
A friend had a tradesman come round and offer to clean out and realign all her guttering and down pipes. Pleasant chap with a business card, a local address and a land line, which all seemed professional and above board. 2 people worked for about 45 minutes and the bill was £50 whch seems OK. However, he is now offering to get the moss off her roof for £1300, with a reduction if her neighbour has it done at the same time (attached townhouse). She doesn't even know if she has moss on the roof, can't see the roof from any viewpoint, and if she has, is moss on a tiled roof a bad thing?
Removing moss from a tile roof - Stuartli
Sprat to catch a mackerel?

Tell him to take the proverbial running jump.

We get some moss in between the tiles on our shed roof, which I clear off annually quite easily at reachable level from step ladders and the rest using a long stick.

Even if I didn't remove the moss, no harm would be done.
Removing moss from a tile roof - L'escargot
My feeling is that moss is detrimental. It keeps the surface wet for longer which could lead to frost damage. However, I wouldn't fancy someone clambering all over the roof just to remove moss, particularly if their modus operandi was to use a high pressure washer. More opinions here ........... tinyurl.com/6cetxt

Edited by L'escargot on 30/07/2008 at 11:06

Removing moss from a tile roof - Happy Blue!
From a surveyors perspective, I don't like moss on a roof for the reason outlined by Mr Snail above. Getting it removed is a good idea, but get quotations from local contractors, bearing in mind that a proper job will include a tower or scaffolding and will cost!

Also see why the moss is collecting. Should some trees be pruned which are hanging over the roof?
Removing moss from a tile roof - Mapmaker
Jeff Howell, the builder who debunks myths in the Telegraph says do not touch it:

www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/prope...l

Removing moss from a tile roof - Happy Blue!
From my experience, slate and clay tile (rosemary tile) roofs suffer from moss less than other materials such as concrete or asbestos, because they are generally smooth.

I would certainly recommend removal of moss on these types of roof (if it not expensive to do so), simply because it is good practice to see the roof covering, and so that drains and gutters do not get blocked.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Lud
and so that drains and gutters do not get blocked.

That's a good point Espada. Apart from holding rainwater like a sponge moss doesn't hurt on a tile or slate roof, but some kinds can die in the summer, roll or get washed into the gutter and have to be removed when someone notices the water coming down in the wrong place.
Should some trees be pruned which are hanging over the roof?>>

My shed roof is entirely exposed - there are no trees etc hanging over it, yet some small sections of (soft) moss do build up over time between the tiles in a random fashion.

Edited by Stuartli on 30/07/2008 at 12:01

Removing moss from a tile roof - billy25
when i used to work on the farms in my youth, many, many outbuildings (both slated and stone flagged) must have had moss on them for literally hundreds of years, and seen more severe winters than we have now, and they were still dust-dry underneath. I suggest leaving it alone. Slate isnt porous otherwise it would be no-good for roofing! the only time frost may be a problen is if the slate has a "crack" in it, and that is more likely to happen with "bods" clambering over or poking it with scrapers etc.

Billy
Removing moss from a tile roof - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thank you all very much for your informed comments! IF there is any moss on the roof I think it will be staying there!
Removing moss from a tile roof - Another John H
Oddly enough, I've removed some moss from the lower parts of our roof in the last couple of days.

Partly because the crows dislodge it looking for grubs, and it's a mess underfoot by the front door, and partly because it looks a bit unsightly on the roof above said door.

I think it's predominantly on this part of the roof because of the following factors -
mostly in the shade
within 20 or 30 feet of some trees which deposit all kinds of carp on the roof
shallower pitch on this part of the roof.

As the pitch is shallow enough to walk about on, and it starts at 8 feet above the floor, it was no real bother to do it on a dry day. Shifted by hand, for the most part.

No damage where it was, and it looks better for it.

However, I got some funny looks from the posty when he saw me using a toothbrush on the gutter fittings to get the green gunge off...
takes all sorts, well I think that's what he said :)

Edited by Another John H on 30/07/2008 at 19:58

Removing moss from a tile roof - Dulwich Estate
The rainwater runoff after passing over copper does a good job of killing moss. If you have a patch that bothers you then flatten a bit of old copper pipe and lay it, fix it, tuck it in - whatever and the area downstream will remain moss free. I've seen people use 2p coins fixed in the centre of domed rooflights too.

I've thought about a copper strip running along my ridge tiles - the possible effect of a bit of lighting puts me off a bit.
Removing moss from a tile roof - buzbee
"the possible effect of a bit of lighting puts me off "

Your bit of copper will have no effect on whether you are struck by lightening. It is a myth that certain materials like that attract lightening. The millions of volts will just as easily create a path to your tiled roof without the metal.

If a charged cloud is drifting over your area, it will be the highest points that will most likely take the hit. Hence conductors on church spires. The point can be just someone standing out in the open on a large flat area like a field. It wants to get to earth or to another cloud that does not have the same charge so it can dissipate.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Dulwich Estate
buzbee,

I'm not daft - of course the copper on the roof won't attract lightning.

What bothers me is that after a strike what easy path that 500,00 volts might then take . . . . zapping up, down and along my roof looking for someone / something to fry !

I suppose the smell of burning moss in the morning could be good.

Edited by Dulwich Estate on 30/07/2008 at 22:52

Removing moss from a tile roof - Pugugly
And blackbirds.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Another John H
And blackbirds.

The blackbirds here are too busy pinching the raspberries to bother with the moss.
(Now they've finished the strawberries off...)
Removing moss from a tile roof - Mapmaker
Copper strip...

So, DE, I take it that as you do not recommend lead and slate roofing on listed buildings, what do you suggest as a replacement?
Removing moss from a tile roof - Baskerville
Stuart

You live in what used to be called Lancashire. Everything in Lancashire is covered in moss or green slime. Apart from the relatively brief period when everything was covered in soot and the tears of poor starving orphans Lancashire has been covered in moss for the entire history of the earth. I find that if I stand still for more than a minute or two I need regrouting.

Baskers
>>You live in what used to be called Lancashire.>>

Actually, although we are in Merseyside, the whole area is still the County of Lancashire...:-)

Incidentally, the amount of moss involved on the shed roof is quite small, but looks unsightly from the kitchen doorway if left to its own devices...:-)

Should also mention that if anyone has green algae or moss on pathways etc, using a mixture of water and Jayes Fluid in a watering can quickly kills it off.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Dog
I once read that moss can get under the roof tile and lift it ... I have a 70 year old Asbestos tiled roof that has a very steep pitch so ya wouldn't be able to get up there unless ya without scaffold or a tower ... there is loadsa moss up there and I've sort of envisaged a device like I used to clean my tropical phish tank with (but a tad longer !)
I orften have these ideas which work fine (in theory !!!)
I live in West Cornwall (rain, rain, and more etc., etc.,) and I have seen roofs that are ten times worse than mine ... how about the extra weight ???
Removing moss from a tile roof - FotheringtonThomas
Don't touch it. The tiles may be brittle, and you'll probably cause problems cleaning them. You might be able to spray some moss killer all over it, and wait 'till it dries and falls off (could be a couple of years or so in West Cornwall ;) ). If your roof is better than other similar ones, and they haven't fallen in, yours won't either.
Removing moss from a tile roof - Dog
Yup ! Good advice F. Thomas - cheers.
Binoculars ~ performance versus specification - L'escargot
I'd like to buy a pair of binoculars which have a minimum focussing distance of less than 15 metres (50 feet). What governs this minimum distance and how would I know (without trying them) what performance I would get from a given model? My current pair are marked 10 x 50, field 5 degrees, and the minimum useable distance is greater than I would like.

Edited by L'escargot on 30/07/2008 at 11:00

Binoculars ~ performance versus specification - Stuartli
See:

www.at-infocus.co.uk/choosing_bins.html
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Pebble
Gentlemen:

Here in central Clark County where I am, there are lots of Brit tourists (keep coming, we need your money). To serve them, there are a couple of grocers that carry Britfood in case y'all put down your dice and cards and say, "You know, I'm hungry for Marmite/Weetabix/pickled onions." While in one of these shops, I saw cockles, in a jar (pickled?)

My question is, how best to eat them. On a cracker? They look good (I love seafood), but I've never tried them...I assume this is somewhat oysterish. What would you do with them?
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - deepwith
Just eat 'em like a snack - often sold on stalls in a small dish - or eat with a seafood salad. Lovely.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Baskerville
Stab 'em with a cocktail stick. Actually if you can find cockles in brine (that's probably what these are) a dash of the leftover juice makes for a very dramatic dirty martini. Cockles are like tiny oysters, yes.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Lud
They aren't really like oysters. More like tiny limpets - actually you can only eat small ones - in being a bit crunchy not because they sometimes have sand in them, but in themselves. They taste more like clean seawater than oysters too.
They aren't really like oysters. More like tiny limpets - actually you can only eat
small ones - in being a bit crunchy not because they sometimes have sand in
them but in themselves. They taste more like clean seawater than oysters too.

No, no, cockles are not like limpets. They have a hinged shell like an oyster, but about an inch to an inch and a half across and live in sand. Limpets look like Mt Fuji and stick to rocks. Whether cockles taste like limpets is another matter as I've never knowingly eaten an limpet.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Lud
I meant they tasted like limpets. Naturally I know what limpets are. I've never seen them for sale so the only way to eat them is to knock smallish ones off a rock and have your evil way with them...

:o}
You're an animal. The Backroom wants to know: is your garden slug-free?
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Alby Back
Quite useful for catching crabs too. ( Stop it now ) You first have to "ambush" the limpet. Give it a good kick before it realises you want to free it or it will cling on, like a limpet I suppose. Extract the meat and tie it on to a piece of string. Weight the string about 6" further up with anything handy, an old nail or something will do. Dangle resulting assembly in suitable sea water, end of pier / end of rocky outcrop. Crab will attempt to eat limpet meat and is too stupid to let go as you gently haul him in.

Repeat until seafood supper provided. Boil crabs. Serve with brown bread and butter and a squeeze of lemon.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Pugugly
And a bottle of Guinness.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Alby Back
Oh heck PU I might have to do that this weekend now !
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Pugugly
To complete the Twainesque imagery, let the Guinness dangle from a piece of string in the sea, whilst catching its accompaniment.
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - billy25
Yuk! - they'll be green shore crabs! not really edible (unless your French - they'll eat owt!). best ones are the edible brown crab or the long-legged spider crabs, occassionally you may come across velvet-swimming crabs for sale on fishing boat piers, but watch out those blighters are pure evil, temper wise, and as sure as heck they'll be a bit mad by the time you get chance to get them.
p.s, never buy dead crabs if they arn't cooked!

Billy
Hungry yet? Completely non-motor related - Nsar
>>very dramatic dirty martini<<
Now that sounds like the start of a very interesting night out.
I always thought the point of a martini was purity - all that stuff about it being the Catholic cocktail
iPhone 3G and Car Kits - rtj70
Not a question but a warning. Apparently the new iPhone 3G no longer can be charged using the 12v power pins on the iPod connector. It can now only be charged via the USB pins.

This means if you have an iPod car kit that currently charges an iPod it will not charge the iPhone 3G. So if you have a DENSION kit, Mazda's connection, VWs, BMWs, etc. they probably won't charge the phone. A stupid decision on Apple's part.
iPhone 3G and Car Kits - Altea Ego
More and more devices need charging via a USB cable (its 5v).

I have installed a small mini USB powered hub, powered by a 5v car power source. It gives me 4 usb cable charging ports. One for blackberry, one for tomtom and one for MP3 player
I too realise loads are charged by USB (but sadly not my new Nokia E51 phone).

My point about the iPhone not charging though is these car kits for iPod use the iPod connector to connect the iPod/iPhone to the stereo and charge it. With the new iPhone 3G it will not charge. And you cannot plug in another USB charger because that needs to also use the iPod dock connector.

I know PoloGirl had an iPod kit for the Golf and I nearly got the Mazda kit for the Mazda6. Not that I have an iPhone just an iPod Touch.
Actually I know you can buy a USB to Nokia charger - I meant use the mini-USB port like anything else USB chargeable ;-)
iPhone 3G and Car Kits - Mapmaker
I wish, RF. My new Nokia doesn't charge via its mini USB. Means I forget to synch it with my computer - unlike my previous Orange.
I sync all the time via Bluetooth and have a car kit that charges. But charging via the min-USB would be useful.

But I hijack my own thread warning people with iPod stereo integration kits might find they will not charge an iPhone 3G.

My iPod Touch will charge via the USB and Firewire connector. So wonder if its the latter that has been finally removed from the iPhone? My older iPod 3G will only charge via Firewire port.
iPhone 3G and Car Kits - Baskerville
This is annoying. O/H is about to buy one of these and not being able to charge it using the car kit will be very awkward on long trips. Car kit/head unit is a Sony, by the way and works really well with my iPod Touch. Any idea about that? I'll bet there will be a replacement cable at around £45 plus VAT.
All it takes is the cables to connect power to the USB connectors. And maybe some already do but my two iPods (Touch and 3G 20Gb) have charging via IEEE1394/Firewire. Okay the Touch will also charge via USB as have all newer iPods.

It might be a case of trying or checking before buying the 3G iPhone. There is no reason why accessories could not work apart from them not connecting the powe in pins on the dock connector apparently.

As I say above it could work but I'd check before assuming it will.

I hope I am wrong on this being a big issue but people need to check before buying the iPhone 3G on a long contract and assume all is okay because it has an Apple iPod dock connector.

As for your Sony unit - what cable does it take? Is it USB to iPod dock directly?

Edited by rtj70 on 31/07/2008 at 00:32

iPhone 3G and Car Kits - Baskerville
The Sony unit has some kind of extra kit at the back that has a direct ipod connector that ends up in the glovebox. I think the cable can be changed, but it's been a while since I looked at it--it's definitely not a standard usb cable though. If it comes to it and she really must outdo me in the phone stakes, she can plug it into the line-in and a usb adaptor. Bah, humbug.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Alanovich
I'm just in the process of buying a house, and have a choice of several. One of them currently only has oil fired heating, but may be close enough to the mains to get gas connected (currently being looked at by the local network supplier).

My question is this. If the house can be connected to gas, should it be? I have no experience of oil fired heating whatsoever so any advice would be welcome as this detail could influence the choice of house I buy.

I could also consider solar panels for the hot water, so if I did that would that make any difference to my choice between oil and gas for the central heating and winter hot water?

Thanks for any advice.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Dipstick
When we bought our house it had only oil, even though there was gas in the street.

To actually make the connection turned out to be very very expensive (we were quoted over £1000 ten years ago) and we would also have been responsible for digging the trenches across our land etc at our cost. You couldn't just "ring up the gas board and make it happen".

We didn't bother and still (mostly) heat with oil.

I don't know if it's changed or different where you are of course but you might like to enquire before looking at details like running costs.

Domestic Gas versus Oil - Alby Back
Until 6 years ago we lived in a rural location and had a house with oil fired heating. It was pretty cost effective then but I should think it would be at least as expensive as other forms now, if not more so. There was though, a certain psychological satisfaction in having paid for the fuel up front which I can't really explain.
We're just the opposite about payment. I keep putting offf the ordering of the next lot of oil because it'll be £600 or £700 - but then of course you use a bit mopre so it'll be £750...repeat until we run out and then Mrs Dipstick gets tetchy and it's a painful experience all round.

Just poor organisation on my part really, but at least with gas bills they come through regularly in smaller chunks!
Domestic Gas versus Oil - L'escargot
I keep putting offf the ordering of the next
lot of oil because it'll be £600 or £700 -

When heating oil prices are rising it might be cheaper in the long run to order in smaller quantities than you did previously.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - daveyjp
I've just been involved with a job for a new gas connection. Approx 10 metre trench and associated valves and pipework to provide junction into existing main - £4,000 +VAT. This did not include provision of a meter as the supply won't be used immediately.

Edited by daveyjp on 31/07/2008 at 13:41

Domestic Gas versus Oil - Happy Blue!
The cost of connection can be very high and may therefore encourage you to maximise you energy efficiency and stay with oil. Solar panels work, but the whole of life cost can negate the savings achieved, although with increasing oil prices, that may change.
Gas is much easier to use than oil. With oil, if you want to go away in winter and leave the boiler timer on you have to check that there is enough oil left. If our oil ran out I would need to get the system bled after I'd got some more oil. Oil tanks are ugly, and oil is smelly. Oil-fired boilers are noisy. If I had the choice I would definitely choose gas.

Edited by L'escargot on 31/07/2008 at 15:41

Domestic Gas versus Oil - Alanovich
Thanks, everyone. Would Calor Gas be an option? Is that more hassle/more expensive than mains?
Domestic Gas versus Oil - deepwith
I do not know anything about it personally, but a tv programme recently reported on Geothermal heating for a house. The cost for a large two story house for complete installation was £10,000. They claimed an 'average' house would cost £7,000 (with a grant). You get underfloor heating and hot water, and after initial installation then only servicing bills. The government are presently giving large grants for this type of installation 'cos it is 'green'.
If you google it, there are firms offering quotes for the work.
If you compare this basic 'one off' payment to the cost of running the gas pipes and connection followed by a lifetime of bills, this may be worth a good look.

Edited by deepwith on 31/07/2008 at 16:00

Domestic Gas versus Oil - JH
d
I think you'll find that the £10k buys you a ground or air heat pump system which you then hook up to your existing heating system. Underfloor heating works best because the max temperature output from the heat pump is lower than from a boiler. Don't ask me why you can't keeping "pumping" it up, maybe someone can say. If you have an existing radiator system you appear to be taking a risk that the heating will be adequate.

As well as the servicing bill you get an electricity bill for the pump circulating the coolant. I believe thatyou can expect 3 to 4 times the energy out of the system as you put in, so that sounds like a hefty electricity bill. Unless the wind turbine powers the pump :-)

I've just put another 6 inches of insulation in the loft, bought a better thermostat (old one would run the system for a few seconds sometimes, total waste of oil) and I've asked for a jumper for Christmas.

JH
Domestic Gas versus Oil - geoff1248
From a cash flow point of view you pay for the gas AFTER you have used it while with oil you pay in advance of usage. Having lived with both types of boilers our oil fired boiler cost more to service than our gas one.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - rtj70
Our previous boiler was an oil fired one that had been converted to run on gas. But it got very tempermental - it would switch of or not come on when it was cold outside! Replaced with a "massive" floor standing boiler. Getting that to the cellar was fun.

I'd have thought the convenience of gas is a big advantage if costs are similar. But if it costs as much as it seems to get gas to the house then that is a big consideration.

What is ironic about the cost - where we live there is a huge project to replace all the gas mains, pipes to houses and gas meters.

So they replaced our meter last year and had to lay a new plastic pipe to the house from the new gas main. Obviously we did not pay but the work for our property involved (1) lifting pavement flag stones, (2) digging a hole to find pipe, (3) digging a hole in front garden, (4) remove old pipe, (5) using a "mole" robot to dig a hole for the pipe (the hole needed to get the mole out) and (6) the new pipe was fitted. All in our house probably took no more than a few hours to run a new gas pipe and replace the meter. So why charge thousands?
Domestic Gas versus Oil - bathtub tom
>>Would Calor Gas be an option?

Friends of ours had Calor gas - they found it very expensive, and of course you still need a tank. Things may have moved on, with the cost of energy continually changing.
There is now an option of having an underground Calor gas tank so there is no visible ugly tank. The gas supplier can keep the tank topped up so there is no worry about running out. However, I believe that Calor gas is the most expensive fuel of all.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Pugugly
"Oil-fired boilers are noisy"

My Bosch Worcester boiler (aged 10) is quiet enough so as not to be able to hear it when out of the utility room where it lives - certainly far quieter than the French made joke that we ran on gas in our old home. It has failed twice in 10 years, once a clogged injector and once a failed thermo-link thing. It is warrented by BW themselves at an annual cost of £144.00 a year which
includes an annual service. Their customer service is very good.

We pay up front for our fuel, our local neighbourhood oil chap will turn up at a drop of the proverbial, he also offers a "payment plan" where you are given interest free credit if you pay by direct debit.

Wouldn't go back to gas now.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Falkirk Bairn
I have coal - it replaced an oil boiler.

It is low tech but 99.9+% reliable

Parts required to keep it going

1) Fan
2) Gravity
3) pump to serve radiators

It has needed one new fan in 24 yrs, 1 x new pump - Gravity has been 100% reliable

Cleaning takes 30 mins/week in winter - 10 mins in summer.
No servicing reqd other than clearing the flue 1 x per week - inc in above times.

To me it is a winner
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Nsar
Look for good prices on oil from boilerjuice.com (recommended on here by someone else).

Calor was prohibitively expensive when I last looked at it about 5 years ago.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Dog
I had oil at the last 2 houses, one was an oil-fired Rayburn, the other was a Worcester Bosch job ... the oil is actually Kerosene or aviation fuel, I found it noisy, smelly, and its now very expensive with the high oil prices plus I've heard of some cases where the light-fingered brigade have nicked the stuff !
I now (thankfully) have a 10 year old gas boiler, I wouldn't touch oil again and don't even think about Calor (LPG) !!!
Ideally, I'd like a solid fuel Rayburn that runs the heating & hot water, acres of insulation and a solar hot water system.
I know a chap over at Nth. Cornwall who has built his house partly underground, it faces south and the front is all glazed, he has some wind generators (proper big ones), and some old single cylinder diesel generators + some solar panels, his lighting is all low voltage form an array of batteries, he's even got a water turbine generator.
Another chap I know of makes turbines which ya can stick in a river or decent stream and generate electricity from that.
Interesting about the solar/wind generation aspect of this question. Also interesting that nobody has popped up to say they've used these technologies on their own houses. I wonder if that's because nobody has, or they have and discovered it's a white elephant unless you have a special underground house or a LOT of space for big stuff.

Solar hot water seems appealing to me and we have the space and roof aspect to do it, but I just can't make the numbers add up even remotely financially unless I diy (not going to happen) and I haven't yet seen a convincing environmental case for it either.
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Dog
That is the problem Dipstick, some of this "green" stuff costs shed loads of spondulics,
and takes years to "pay for itself", even plastic windows take years & most folk have moved on by then, the warmest houses I've ever been in are the old cottages with 3ft thick cob walls and a solid fuel Rayburn but ... they cost *big time*
I live in a 1930's house at the mo - they were better built than most of todays matchboxes, my last house was a 1950's with cavity wall insulation & double glazing etc ... the condensation was soooooooo bad, I had to have the windows open in the winter !!!
Domestic Gas versus Oil - Mapmaker
>>my last house was a 1950's with cavity wall insulation & double glazing etc ... the
>>condensation was soooooooo bad, I had to have the windows open in the winter !!!

Because the DG "engineer" (sic) forgot to put vents round the windows. And the vents negate the benefit of the DG anyway. Waste of money.
"Oil-fired boilers are noisy"

OK, I shouldn't have generalised like that, so I'll change it to "Our Heating World oil-fired boiler is noisy".
Solar heating for your hot water will save you absolutely nothing - something like £70 a year saving even at current prices; installation cost £3,000, payback 40 years excluding servicing...

One poster on here has a DIY solar hot water heating system. A black-painted old radiator in a mini-greenhouse built for the purpose, with the water moving by convection through the water tank, which has secondary (primary?!) electric hot water heating. No moving parts, nothing to go wrong.

Heat pump systems don't really work with anything other than very modern, high-insulated houses. They don't generate water that is particularly hot, hence under-floor heating is needed (so you don't have acres of radiators on the walls). This cannot really cope with horrid convection currents and draughts from single glazed Georgian sashes.

A wood chip boiler/one burning grain may be worth considering. I know grain prices are currently very high, but my guess is that they will fall as set-aside land falls out of fashion. Depends where you are, really, and how big your house is. Coal-fired Aga may very well be cheapest.

Oil is reputedly considerably more expensive than gas. On connection, gas board told me £1,000 and that I have to dig my own trench. How good are you with a shovel?

As for bleeding the boiler if you run out; it's a doddle for anybody with half an ounce of common sense. The guy from the oil company will probably do it for you if you ask.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - legacylad
Three times a year for the last few years I have visited friends who live near Tahoe, California. I have always flown Bmi from Manchester to Chicago, then onward with United to Sacramento.
Service and in flight entertainment on the Bmi Airbus has consistently been excellent. The following 4 hour United flight often overcrowded with dismal, sometimes non existent entertainment, and snack boxes.
My question is...the cheapest option at the moment is to fly by United 747 ex Heathrow direct to San Fran. If this 11 hour flight is as awful as the 4 hour internal flight then I simply will not bother this year, as my normal option is beyond my budget. Has anyone any experience of longhaul by United 747 please?

Edited by legacylad on 31/07/2008 at 20:59

In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - JH
It was a long time ago, maybe 12 years, but I swore I'd never fly with Unfriendly Airlines again. The check in desk lady was determined to prove that we (my wife and I) were terrorists just by asking the standard question set. They tried to sit us apart. We were moved 3 times and finally they tried to insist that we needed oxygen. Presumably some poor soul elsewhere had breathing difficulties and really did need it but we were just cattle to them to be prodded and moved around. Stay at home if you have to but don't fly UA.
JH
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - Pugugly
Specifically 747 ? - I flew back with them on a 767 a few years ago, having flown out on BMI. Certainly no worse than any other carrier long haul.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/07/2008 at 21:10

In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - Alby Back
Years ago I was doing regular long hauls in the cheap seats. My coping strategy evolved into the following. No alcohol before or during the flight. Eat something either at home or at the airport and skip the in flight horrors except breakfast if on an overnight. Take your own cold drink. Have to buy it airside now of course. Try to get a window seat so no one is crawling past you when you have your head down. Make sure you are quite tired and tell the cabin crew that you don't want any service unless you ask. They actually appreciate that because they know then not to wake you. Don't recline your seat, or undo your belt, just let your hips sink into the support of the belt. Take a good book. The films are not always to everyone's taste. Wear loose fitting natural fibre clothing and kick off shoes. Keep something to freshen your mouth. Mints, gum, whatever. If a smoker, take some nicotine gum, it's not too bad. Ignore jet lag and just try to believe your watch.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - Happy Blue!
My understanding (partly from the telegraph travel section last week I think), is that US airlines are all dreadful in economy within the US. My experience of US airlines on overseas routes is that they do not offer the finesse of service that the Europeans offer, espcially the British companies.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - rtj70
When I travelled a few times to SFO from Manchester I found go via Heathrow and direct to SFO was better. The internal US flights do not have the same level of service but they see them more like buses in my experience.

Same going from Manchester to Vancouver via Toronto all with Canadian in 1995 - the exerience on the international leg was much better. And on the way back it was the same plane for the second leg!

The only problem with LHR to SFO is the length of flight although it's always quicker coming back. Like another said get a window seat and get your head down for most of it.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - Armitage Shanks {p}
The problems may be over but there may still be major problems regarding loss of luggage and/or temper if you have to change Terminals at LHR. Many people are avoiding flying thru it as a matter of personal or company policy.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - legacylad
Thanks for the replies.
All my 7 journeys in the past 3 years have been Bmi from Manchester to Chicago, then onward with United to either SF or Sacramento. I always 'enjoy' the civilised 11am outbound daytime flight to Chicago on the Airbus, and sleep well on the overnight return. Window seats are always booked in advance!
My cheap option is Bmi from Manchester to Heathrow, then United (Star Alliance partner)direct to SF on a 747, which is probably far older than the usual Airbus. Obviously, transiting thru LHR we are worried about our luggage not making the connection!
Maybe we should keep our fingers crossed for a Bmi seat sale and then fly our usual route.
In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - Alby Back
Might not suit your needs but a wee tip. When I was travelling back and forth to Brazil on a regular basis 20 years ago it involved long haul to Rio and then a longish internal flight to the south of Brazil. I used to UPS my kit a couple of days ahead in a carton to a friends house and do the same to my own on the return legs. In fairness I was usually going for reasonably extended periods. That way I could travel with just hand baggage. Wasn't too expensive in those days but I have no idea what it might cost now. Saves a lot of hassle though.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 31/07/2008 at 23:38

In flight service..United Airlines vs Bmi - rtj70
I see why people say avoid LHR with the baggage problem - you might not be insured for losses. When I used to do this trip to my brother near San Fransisco (not been in years!) the reason for preferring the long LHR-SFO trip is you clear immigration when you get to SFO. With an internal US flight you need to collect luggage, clear immigration etc., check the bags back in and get to the terminal. A right pain if the plane is late.

But we got delayed in LHR due to a problem with the catering truck (needing a replacement 747! hmmm) and the delay meant Heathrow airport shut down (totally including shops) in respect of Diana's funeral and we got delayed. At least my flight was direct to SFO when we got going.