Computer Related Questions - Volume 158 [ReadOnly] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 159 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 158. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/08/2008 at 13:41

XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - Victorbox
Now Windows XP Service Pack 3 is supposed to download & install automatically from Windows update tinyurl.com/6m7dm4 has anyone actually had this happen where their PC is set to download & update by itself? I've updated two XP PC's manually to Service Pack 3 but my kids PC's still aren't receiving it despite updates being set to automatic. I know I could do their computers manually but I'm just interested to know if the UK doesn't get the update until after countries like the USA.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - rustbucket
Unless you like gambling dont do it,install sp3 on xp i mean.I have installed on about 6 xp machines and had a 50% sucess,thank goodness for the restore point.As for Vista sp1 what a joke, unless its a new clean install.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - jbif
Victorbox - AFAIK, you are quite computer literate and so I guess you will be able to ignore some of the unfounded comments in some replies.

As for your specific question, I too had installed the updates manually on a number of PCs using the full SP3 file without any problems. [Also did the same with Vista SP1 on a number of PCs without any problems]. I have actually made a new CD of XP with SP3 slipstreamed in to keep as my backup source disk.

However I had left one XP PC untouched, and I was offered the automatic download on it last week. Although I have clicked to accept the download/install, it has not yet happened. I have found that by going to the updates download settings, and turning off all the downloads, and then resetting it to accept notifications of updates, the SP3 update gets offered again. However, once again accepting it still leads to nothing happening.

XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - Victorbox
Thanks jbif - most interesting. I guess it's not just me who isn't getting SP3.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - Pugugly
Nor me - still on good old SP2 despite being on Autoupdate - ain't going to worry about it though/
XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - Dynamic Dave
I updated my pc to SP3 yesterday after it kept crashing while trying to read a file from a CD-RW. Microsoft's error report came back saying something about installing SP3 would overcome it. I haven't tried the CD-RW since installing SP3, but touch wood nothing untoward has happened to the pc (yet) and I've noticed no difference from when I was running SP2.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install. - TimOrridge
As rust bucket says and i would . Do the manual update from the exe file. i have had a few bad updates with SP2 at work beofre we got WSUS. I havent see or heard any problem with sp3 yet?
XP Service Pack 3 auto install - Davidss
Following the link you provided, and the subsequent link to a more detailed explanation, it seems that SP3 is nothing special, and is mainly a round-up of updates you will already have if you have AU already switched on.
I have AU switched on in a limited fashion, in that I still have to OK any installation. I normally do, but at least I'm aware that a change has taken place. Recently I've spotted a new Network notification pop-up that says 'Netman Extended Notification' or similar. After Googling that phrase, and reading the details of SP3, the similarities make it appear I've taken the update, without it being labelled SP3.
The fact that my router decided to throw a wobbly straight after the last update, blocking all internet access, and needing a power-off reset, I'm putting down to a coincidence :-))

XP Service Pack 3 auto install - Victorbox
"The fact that my router decided to throw a wobbly straight after the last update, blocking all internet access, and needing a power-off reset, I'm putting down to a coincidence :-))"

Do you have Zonealarm firewall? If so, one of the last updates in July screwed up internet access - Zonealarm have a fix now.

Right mouse click on My Computer & click on Properties - it will tell you there if you are running Service Pack 2 or 3.

XP Service Pack 3 auto install - Stuartli
Quite a few people lost their wireless router or dongle connection after installing SP3 - the cure was to reinstall the router or dongle's drivers.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install - Pugugly
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7499260.stm

A bit more here.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install - jbif
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7499260.stm >> >> A bit more here.

That refers to the latest DNS patch which was incompatible with the alarmist zonealarm. Zonealarm then issued a new version which fixed the problem. However, IMO, it is a wise move to ditch ZA and switch to the better free full feature Comodo firewall.
www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall....l

Incidentally, the DNS threat also needs to be addressed by your ISP. Some have, others still have not.
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/isps_slow_to_patc.../

You can check whether your ISP has acted on this threat; click the "check my DNS" button on the right hand side of this page: www.doxpara.com/

XP Service Pack 3 auto install - madf
sp3 screwed up all my multi monitor driver settings (it includes a new card driver) so I uninstalled it, downloaded all the security updates without the new driver and told the auto update facility to go hang.
After that, it's fine.

I don't use ZA..NAV here.
XP Service Pack 3 auto install - Stuartli
Should also mention that I installed both SP3 RC2 and the Final version in sequence on my system when they were originally released and nothing untowards has occurred.

Edited by Stuartli on 27/07/2008 at 11:20

Colour printing problems - former farmer
I have been using a Canon Pixma iP to print photos for my wife's art work. When the printer was new, about 12 months ago, the print colours were excellent and accurate.
Since then I have replaced the original ink cartridges with non Canon alternate ones, from Cartridge World; I now find the prints all have green hue and generally are poor in colour.

I have tried adjusting the colour balance, hidden away among the settings, but to no avail. Is this the 'trade off ' for the cheaper cartridges or is there something else I should be doing to correct this ?

Thanks in advance.
Colour printing problems - rtj70
Buy some Canon cartridges and all will be fine. I tried cheap alternatives from PC World a few years ago and got the same green tones you describe. After lots of tweaking and wasting ink/paper it only improved a little. Using a colour chart I still could not get rid of the green tint.

So I went back to Canon ones and was fine again and the results excellent.
Colour printing problems - ifithelps
IT chaps at work tell me pattern cartridges often use the incorrect type of ink, irrespective of colour, and this leads to breakdowns.

Their advice is strictly original equipment only.
I only tried once and gave in. And thought it might have damaged it somehow and why I went back to originals. Canon cartridges tend to be very good value anyway. Clear plastic so you know it's empty vs. a chip that counts droplets.

My Pixma printer also takes a separate black for text... tried a few cheap ones which were fine but then one started leaking out for no reason. Swapped and all okay.
Colour printing problems - Dynamic Dave
Been using non branded cartridges (from www.999inks.co.uk ) in my Epson C40plus for quite a while now. No problems with them so far.
Colour printing problems - SpamCan61 {P}
Much the same here, I've been using Jettec and Inkrite(?) carts. in my Canon IP5000 for a couple of years without hassle, also in my Epson 400 which is nearly 10 years old, and has been run on 3rd. party carts. since the orginal ones ran out 9+ years ago. I would say the Epson does require more frequent head cleaning with 3rd. party carts.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 28/07/2008 at 09:35

Colour printing problems - Stuartli
Between March 1996 and late 2006 I ran my Canon BJC 600e (capable of anything a modern printer can achieve) on compatible inks (either using refill bottles or cartridges) quite happily' the same applies with its replacement, an Epson R300.

Even though it's a six cartridges printer, a full pack of six cartridges from www.diskdepot.co.uk costs just £4.95; I buy five or six packs at a time to make the most of the delivery charge.

See: www.diskdepot.co.uk/acatalog/R200.html

The genuine Epson inks would cost nearly as much as the printer for a full set...:-(

However, some have reported favourably on the remarkably cheap Continuous Ink Supply units sold at:

tinyurl.com/6asr5g (there are at least two Epson types on offer when available).

One small point. I never switch my Epson R300 off, which avoids unnecessary ink wasting cleaning routines and ensures that it is always ready for action.
The ones I tried with my Canon Pixma produced photos with a green tint like the original poster. Documents etc looked fine but not photos. I suppose I could have tried a load more compatible ones but life is too short and the Canon ink not too expensive. I don't print that much anymore.
Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - pete&hisgolf
I can't seem to get files that I've saved on my computer in wma format to play on my home or car CD players. I've saved them to a CDR-W disk using Windows Media Player. The manual for my car CD player explicitly says that it can play disks with tracks in wma format, however the message 'no audio' appears when I try to play the disk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - Stuartli
Did you finalise the disk?

One point. CD-RW rewritable disks are very much less reflective than a CD-R and many players cannot read them.

Far better to use a CD-R in multisession mode, adding tracks until the disk is full (make sure that each multisession is Saved before closing. Finalise on last multisession, otherwise you could have problems reading some or all tracks.

Nero asks if you wish to Save each multisession sequence.
Nero manuals at:

www.nero.com/eng/support-nero6-manuals.html
Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - pete&hisgolf
Did you finalise the disk?

Erm, I don't know! Not sure how I would do that.

I don't have Nero, my CD burning software is Roxio, but presumably that will do the job. I'll get hold of some CD-Rs and do what you suggest.

Thanks very much for the advice.
Roxio does have a Finalise feature from what I can recall - some years since I used it.

In Nero, the choice of Finalising a disk is readily apparent.

However, I have a very large number of CD-R disks on which a vast selection of data has been stored and very few of them have been Finalised...:-)

These are used to install the latest updates for various programs, applications and utilities on other systems, but I always make sure that each multisession sequence is Saved.

Edited by Stuartli on 29/07/2008 at 01:06

Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - Dog
Try using a CD-R disk and see if that worx ok
Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - jbif
I've saved them to a CDR-W disk using Windows Media Player.

saved? = Have you burned Audio or Data files?
CDR-W? = have you tested the WMA files from your CDR-W to play using your PC?
WMP? = which version?

Here is a simple guide for WMP9:
www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050610_windows_me...l

Edited by jbif on 28/07/2008 at 22:28

Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - jbif
Here is a simple guide for WMP9:

edit - should read WMP10

Microsoft instructions for burning WMA files using WMP10

Why doesn't the CD player in my car play the CDs that I burn?
www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgece...F

How do I burn WMA and MP3 files to a CD?
www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgece...G

Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - rtj70
I'd check the disk plays on the PC first. If yes and it does not work in the car then the question is do you have DRM protection on your WMA files?
Playing Windows Media Files on a CD Player - billy25
simply to convert them to .wav files and burn them (as others suggest) to a CD-R, .wav files have better quality audio than mp3 etc, although you will only get about 20 ish to a disk as they are not compressed as much.

Billy
Thunderbird mail icon. - malteser
When I open Thunderbird, or check for new mail (set to do this every 10 minutes) it makes no difference whether there is new mail or not - the icon in the notification area tells me I have 1 email message!
Pro-tem, I have disabled the notification completely by using the "about:config" preferences editor, but I would like the notification to accurately reflect the presence of REAL mail - not the false notification I often get.
Any ideas on this?
Running Windows XP Home, latest Thunderbird version , fully updated,.
Thanks.
Thunderbird mail icon. - Stuartli
It could just be that you have unopened mail in Thunderbird - Outlook Express indicates e-mails available if one or more remain unopened.
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - jbif
Would backroomers reading this try to visit
www.emirates.com
and report back if they reach the real emirates page or whether they get diverted to a page featuring networksolutions.com and/or ads by kolmic.com.
[All other web addresses seem to work as normal, it is just emirates giving a problem. I have tried from 3 different PCs in different offices one mile apart, one on BT broadband, and two on talktalk. One of those on talktalk connects to the real emirates web site. ]
It makes no difference whether I use IE, Opera or Firefox. I have flushed all the caches, clenaed out history using Crapcleaner, and run AV and Spyware tests.

I have searched google for help, but apart from other people reporting this happening on other web sites in the past, there is no solution posted.

Edited by jbif on 30/07/2008 at 14:15

urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - SpamCan61 {P}
I get the network solution page via IE6 or FF; looks to me like their domain registration has expired and a 3rd party has grabbed it, hence the text down the right hand side of the 'network solutions' page.
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - pete&hisgolf
I went straight to the emirates page, using Opera and IE. I'm with plusnet.
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - malteser
Using F.F.3 I went straight to the real Emirates site.
I use Open DNS as my DNS resolver - different ISPs may have their own - I know that telefonica.net, my Spanish ISP has, but I prefer to use Open DNS.
>>I get the network solution page via IE6 or FF; looks to me like their domain registration has expired and a 3rd party has grabbed it, hence the text down the right hand side of the 'network solutions' page.

That is what I get on one talktalk PC and one BT broadband PC, using any browser. The domain expired notice is false. Somehow, emirates.com is being hijacked by kolmic.com which fronts as network solutions. see

www.madsdam.net/digital-jungle/find-something-inte...m
I went straight to the emirates page, using Opera and IE. I'm with plusnet.

That is what I get on one talktalk PC, using any browser.

I discovered this problem while trying to check-in online on Emirates. Fortunately, I have been able to so using the one working connection to their real web site.

Edited by jbif on 30/07/2008 at 14:39

urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - billy25
using ie6 and Google takes me directly to the "real" Emirates page, tried it on Aol as well and no probs either going through them. Both my computers run '98 so maybe its an xp thing?

Billy

using ie6 and Google takes me directly to the "real" Emirates page

Just tried via a proxy dns server, and that takes me to the real site.
Tried searching google for emirates.com ant then clicking on those links for the different emirates worldwide sites. All of them take me to the fake networksolutions page.

Another report of their hijack activities
www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/08/network-solutions-hi.../
shows that the attack is not from a local PC but at some intermediate point.

Edited by jbif on 30/07/2008 at 14:49

urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - Baskerville
I get the Emirates site. Could this be a dns problem?

Test your dns server here:

www.doxpara.com/

Edit: We seem to have posted more or less simultaneously. Doesn't look like the same problem.

Edited by Baskerville on 30/07/2008 at 14:55

Test your dns server here: www.doxpara.com/

test result OK :
Your name server, at 62.xx.xxx.xxx appears to be safe

I am a little relieved that SpamCan61 got the same hijacked page. At least it gives me some comfort that the two PCs giving me the false page are not alone in this behaviour, and are clean as reported by the AV, spybot, spyware, woolweebsearch & hijackthis tests.

All - Thanks for your help.

I've just tried via my mobile & Vodafone GPRS, that still takes me to the hijacked page.
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - rtj70
On Virgin Media I'm getting the Emirates page but it's loading slowly but have finally got to the UK page. So all seems fine. The IP address resolved via VM DNS servers is 83.231.138.225

I wonder if the problem originally reported higher up is as a result of the DNS security hole that has been reported but not patched by all.
Yep, if I type that IP address in directly I get the real Emirates page on IE6 and FF.
Yep if I type that IP address in directly I get the real Emirates page on IE6 and FF.

Me too. After the 2nd attempt. first attempt brought an IE error page.

My firewall loo shows:
14:45:54 emirnewglobalenglish.112.2o7.net Cache hits 216.52.17.134, 70.42.134.12, 74.201.95.4, 128.242.125.9, 128.242.125.13

The earlier failures led to

10:12:17 pics.kolmic.com New record 209.62.20.50
10:12:16 js.kolmic.com New record 209.62.20.44
10:12:11 www.emirates.com New record 209.62.72.173
10:13:29 kolmic.com New record 209.62.20.47

10:33:10 fly.emirates.com New record 209.62.72.173

12:46:15 images.kolmic.com Cache hits 209.62.20.49
12:46:14 pics.kolmic.com Cache hits 209.62.20.50
12:46:14 js.kolmic.com Cache hits 209.62.20.44
12:46:11 www.emirates.com Cache hits 209.62.72.173

13:05:00 images.kolmic.com Cache hits 209.62.20.49
13:04:59 pics.kolmic.com Cache hits 209.62.20.50
13:04:54 www.emirates.com Cache hits 209.62.72.173

The best explanation I have found so far is here
forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=242971
when Dan asked for help
" both pc's here at home it gets hijacked to a "network solutions" site,not my normal CBS news website,is it doing it for you too?
www.cbs13.com or www.cw31.com
it does it with IE and FF "

So once again thanks for all the responses. I will now see if I can bring this to the attention of Emirates.

urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - Darkbloom
I am having the same problem via wireless and HSDPA access, so seems to be the ISP's DNS that was exploited. I raised it with both my provider and the local Emirates office, who told me that they had received a fax from Dubai HQ this morning saying that this problems is global and that they are working with their technology provider to sort this out by 11am today (GMT).

In the meantime, access to www.emirates.com is now fully blocked with a reference to liaisiing with one's ISP for further information.

Darkbloom
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - FotheringtonThomas
access to www.emirates.com is now fully blocked

Not from here - I get a nice picture of an aeroplane, and an invitation to select a "local" web-site.
Looks like they really did forget to renew their claim to the domain name emirates.com! They can afford Airbus A380's but not this ;-)

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/31/emirates_domain_l.../
Looks like they really did forget to renew their claim to the domain name emirates.com!

trj70 - Thanks for the info & link.
Strange thing is that it affected some only one or two respondents to my first post.
My PCs had all reverted to the genuine Emirates site by 7pm yesterday.

IMO, this is a prime example of a domain registrar conducting its business very poorly. You would imagine that they would know not to upset a major organisation like Emirates with the kind of junk ads that they served up.
I would not be surprised if Emirates change their registrar as a result.

The DNS servers will have cached some results so the problem took time to propagate.

The expiry of the domain name was probably automatic. It would be for Emirates to ensure no problems.
urgent hijacked networksolutions and kolmic.com? - Stuartli
Sorry, posted similar link to The Register as jbif - have deleted the reference.

Edited by Stuartli on 01/08/2008 at 15:33

Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - VR6
My Dell Inspiron 1501 needs a new battery. Dell want £125 and Amazon want £65 (genuine apparently).

I have seen some very cheap ones on ebay - are they any good?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for places to get a decent battery for a good price from, please let me know - or is £65 good?

Current battery: Dell GD761
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - rtj70
I would only get a genuine one. Don't you recall the problem of all the exploding laptop batteries and they were genuine. Do not think I would risk a cheaper one.

If Amazon one is a genuine Dell then sounds a good price.

What's wrong with the one you have?
Thats what I thought. The one on Amazon is sold though a third party, but it does say its genuine on the webpage.

My current one will only last about 30mins on full charge.

Just dont want to spend loads as the laptop sometimes refuses to charge the battery (but still uses AC power) so I think there may be something else wrong with it as well
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - rtj70
My work laptop is almost always run from the mains but as a result it now has pretty poor battery life. It is about 3.5 years old. Not long after you disconnect power the full battery drops to around half and might say 30-40 minutes left. But it should be full!

I will get a new laptop next week (Well a new old one) so it will fix this issue. More than doubling the memory (2+Gb) and going dual core will be a bonus.

If this was my laptop I'd just accept it was knackered. So much for Lithium Ion batteries not having a memory affect. If I could be bothered I'd try conditioning it but I've sort of tried and it dies quick and a full charge does not fix it.
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - Another John H
IME

At least one of the battery retailers who sell via Amazon shouldn't be allowed out, nevermind trading.

Lithium-ion batteries are commonly shot by three years old - we use a number at work, and even with something approaching "proper use" (rather than always being on charge) the capacity on most of then is unacceptable by year three.

I'd prefer Ni-Cad - if cycled fully they run for years, and can respond to "treatmentwhen getting tired.
The trader i have seen the battery at is called Clone UK, which is worrying! Is it another trader you are talking about Another John H?
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - Another John H
Yes.

It's somebody else, or at least that's neither of the names I now know they trade under.

I'm not sure how to do this without falling foul of the naming and shaming rules.

Just watch the feedback - 95% or less over the last few months should have been a warning.
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - CGNorwich
Lithium-ion batteries are commonly shot by three years old - we use a number at work, and even with something approaching "proper use" (rather than always being on charge)

Lithium ion batteries unlike other types begin to deteriorate and lose therir ability to hold charge from the moment they are made. Thus they have a finite life which is around 3-4 years, somethingn whichis not widely published by the manufactureres

They actually last longer if charged little and often. They should not be frequently fully discharged or stored in a full discharged state
Laptop (Dell) battery replacement - Stuartli
This company is based about 10 miles from where I live and on the only occasion we bought a product (secondhand Toshiba Satellite) it proved excellent. See:

www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Inspiron_Batte...m

Apart from batteries, new and nearly new laptops etc, it also stocks a wide range of spares.

Edited by Stuartli on 31/07/2008 at 20:57

HJ Site--Demanding on Power - Baskerville
This is not really a question, but an observation. The PC in our family room is a self-built unit with PentiumD dual core chip and a couple of gigs of RAM. It's a capable machine. The case however is an ancient el-cheapo one without much sound deadening in it. So when the fans get going they can be heard fairly clearly. I don't mind that as it happens rarely.

Now then, I am a big fan of tabbed browsing. Currently I have in excess of 20 tabs open and that's normal for me. The issue is this: when this site is in one of the tabs the fans go crazy. When I close that tab, they go back to their normal, near-silent, operation. Open HJ in a tab and off they go again. I have done a comparison test and opened a further 20 tabs of normal text-based pages and still the machine is quiet. Re-open HJ in a single tab and whoop de do, off they go again. So my conclusion is that this site requires as much computing power as 20 or more normal web pages. Isn't that a bit odd?

Edited by Baskerville on 30/07/2008 at 21:28

HJ Site--Demanding on Power - rtj70
This will be because of the flash content in adverts on the right. It needs CPU to display the streaming video in the adverts so can cause high CPU usage.
HJ Site--Demanding on Power - Davidss
As a user of tabbed browser windows I've also found the same. If the fan keeps up high speed activity for some time I use Task Manager to not only look at the CPU resources in use, between 50 and 100% in these circumstances, but also which application is making most of the demand.
With HJ open it's normally the browser, and as you say, close the HJ window and the Browser / CPU loading falls straightaway.
My conclusion is the same as already stated, it's all the fancy ads, that are apparently essential to the financial well-being of the site, that is the cause.
Must also add that sometimes the Daily Telegraph newspaper site causes the same effect of high CPU loading. It has similar adverts, of course.

Incidentally, what browser are you using? Currently mine is the the Windows version of Safari, although the same effect was noticed when using Netscape 8.1. With Nescape the recovery was slow, with Safari it's almost instant, certainly less than one minute.

Regards
HJ Site--Demanding on Power - Dynamic Dave
Also happens to me when I use IE7 and try and open more than 5 or 6 tabbed windows using a PC with 2GB of RAM. My PC almost grinds to a halt.

However, it doesn't happen on an older PC with only 500MB of RAM using IE6 and I can open 20+ separate browser windows.

An IE7 problem?
HJ Site--Demanding on Power - Baskerville
Incidentally what browser are you using? Currently mine is the the Windows version of Safari
although the same effect was noticed when using Netscape 8.1. With Nescape the recovery was
slow with Safari it's almost instant certainly less than one minute.

I figured the ads would be in there somewhere. Since upgrading to Firefox 3 I haven't been using the Flashblock extension, which could explain why I've noticed--I used to switch them off on a per-session basis. Maybe it's time, for the sake of my electricity bill.

I've noticed the problem is more persistent on Linux and Windows than it is on the Mac (all using Firefox 3). The Mac seems to settle after a while and the fans go silent again (it's a more powerful machine, which may be the reason), but on the other two they continue until the tab is closed. Once the tab is closed the effect is almost instantaneous. Safari and Camino on the Mac are just the same.
Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - skorpio
Bought a new Dell pc running Windows Vista. Everythings fine there but sometimes when trying to view photos on a CD it states the disc is blank. A family member who also has a new Dell with Vista put some family holiday snaps onto CD. The wife put the Cd in and it opened fine and she was able to view the images without a problem.

The next day she tried the same disc and it told her it was blank.
Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Pugugly on 31/07/2008 at 00:31

Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - colinh
As above - have problems with Dell XP desktop cd/dvd drive. Seems to write to disks OK, but when trying to read them later, fails; however, the disk can be read using an Asus laptop with Vista.

Is this a "feature"?
Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - VR6
Have you checked on the dell website if there is a firmware update for your DVD/CD drive? When I was having issues with my DVD drive on a dell laptop a while ago, i found that there was a firmware update on the dell website which resolved the issue.

Here is the link: tinyurl.com/64n8e3
Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - colinh
Thanks for that; there were a dozen or so recommended updates there for my desktop. Always assumed that these were automatically downloaded and installed, particularly as during booting a "www.dell.com" screen appears.
Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - VR6
No problems Colinh. This link may be of use to you. It looks like a bit of software from Dell which automatically checks for updates and patches etc...

tinyurl.com/5kv3xv
Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - Stuartli
A similar checker:

www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Re firmware updates. Something to be avoided unless absolutely essential - one mistake and you will almost certainly have a drive only fit for the dustbin. Main purpose with most drives is to enable it to handle faster disk speeds.

Any optical drive normally only requires the basic Windows CDROM drivers which are installed automatically - the functions of rewriters are controlled by burning software such as Nero, which is updated regularly to take account of new, even faster rewriter models.

Edited by Stuartli on 01/08/2008 at 15:05

Problems with Dell CD/DVD drives - smokie
...but a firmware update is much more likely to fix this problem than anything else. I've updated firmware in (maybe) dozens of devices without a problem - though Stuart is right, it's a risky area to be in.

btw I recall firmware updates for a previous optical drive which did a whole lot more than faster disk speeds. From memory, it made the drive region free, changed the purpose (and hence the usefulness) of the lights, and resolved a problem not dissimilar to that described.

When upgrading firmware, follow the instructions to the letter - and even if it looks hung, leave it for a considerable time before turning off, as that's what would cause damage.

Edited by smokie on 02/08/2008 at 01:21

HJ site - cursor jitters. - FotheringtonThomas
Why, when I reply or post, does my cursor go all jittery and start vibrating on the spot, like a very jiggly thing indeed? Is it this site (others don't demonstrate this behaviour, though) or do I need glasses?
Unable to access sites "Cannot find server" - Marc
Hi all, in the last two days or so I have been unable to access certain regular websites, my browser times out and gives the "This Page Cannot be Displayed" / "Cannot find server or DNS error" page.

I'm running XP and today have installed SP3 and fully updated my virus software but my PC is still the same.

I've been reading some threads on here and just out of interest ran the DoxPara checker, it states :

"Your name server, at xxxxxxxx, may be safe, but the NAT/Firewall in front of it appears to be interfering with its port selection policy. The difference between largest port and smallest port was only 74.
Please talk to your firewall or gateway vendor -- all are working on patches, mitigations, and workarounds"

Is this the problem? and if so what does it mean?

Thanks

Unable to access sites "Cannot find server" - Pugugly
Have you read the SP3 thread.....?
Unable to access sites - jbif
Marc:
try google search for the phrase: NAT/Firewall in front of it appears to be interfering with its port selection policy

The first hit www.dslreports.com/forum/ may be the explanation you want; or it may be the zonealarm/SP3 problem that pugugly referred to. [if you have ZA, are you running the latest version of zonealarm?]

To get around the problem, try setting your dns to the opendns values:
www.opendns.com/start

Edited by jbif on 31/07/2008 at 20:27

Unable to access sites - Marc
I read the SP3 thread but I only installed that today (thinking it would fix this problem I've had for the last few days) It didn't fix it and hasn't changed anything else from what I can see...

jbif - I tried the dslreports hit but it brings up a blank page - "post does not exist"?

I'll read through the opendns info - thanks.

I don't really understand why I need to change anything though as everything was fine a couple of days ago and no-one has altered any settings as such.

Thanks for the replies.
Unable to access sites - jbif
>>jbif - I tried the dslreports hit but it brings up a blank page - "post does not exist"?

because I have not quoted the full link. You need to google tog et the link.
don't really understand why I need to change anything though as everything was fine a couple of days ago and no-one has altered any settings as such.

So from your reply, so far we know your problem is nothing to with sp3, and it does not matter whether you
1. use or don't use zonealarm,
2. have or have not updated it to the latest version.

However, the suggestion to change the dns to opendns setting won't do any harm and it will eliminate the possibility that the dns records/cache of your isp are corrupted. So give it a go and report back.

Or try to access the sites you are having problems with by inputting their address in here
www.zend2.com/

Unable to access sites - Baskerville
A quick and dirty way to try a different dns server without changing any settings is to input the url into Google Translate (translate.google.com). Tell it to translate from Spanish (or whatever) to English and I think you'll get the site via Google's dns.

Edited by Baskerville on 31/07/2008 at 21:58

Unable to access sites - Marc
Well I was about to go through the enable DNS changes this evening but miraculously normal service has been resumed at the affected websites...

Maybe it was them and not me.

Thanks for all the replies.
System Restore - Armitage Shanks {p}
On my desktop (XP SP2) I have got system restore to work and I understand that it creates a restore point when programmes are installed etc. The blurb at the top of the page says that restore points are created on a schedule but does not say what the schedule is or how the owner can modify it. Any ideas please?

On a related problem, with my Vista laptop I sometimes have to use System Restore, and although it seem to be effective I actually get a message which says "System restore failed for unspecefied reasons and your system was not restored." any ideas on this secondary question too, please?
System Restore - jbif
.. or how the owner can modify it. Any ideas please?

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/g...x
scroll down the page to:
"Create Restore Points Manually
Use Scheduled Tasks
You can use Scheduled Tasks to create restore points at specified times. You might want to configure Scheduled Tasks to run System Restore at 6:00 P.M. daily, so that you always have a restore point available at the end of each working day. "
.. Vista laptop I sometimes have to use System Restore

I was looking in to this very same problem at the moment for a friend! If I find a solution, I shall post here if someone else hasn't already do by then. Early searches indicate that it is solved by doing the restore by booting in to safe mode.
www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-window.../

Edited by jbif on 31/07/2008 at 23:11

jbif - that was a really quick reply, thank you. I do occasionally create manual RPs; what I was hoping to do was something like create an RP at regular intervals, determined by me ie modify the schedule to which XP works. I shall be interested in your reply to the Vista aspect, when you find one!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 01/08/2008 at 08:04

System Restore - Victorbox
A lot of scrolling down the page, but have a read here about fiddling with restore point creation intervals:-

www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html
System Restore - jbif
what I was hoping to do was something like create an RP at regular intervals, determined by me ie modify the schedule to which XP works

I am not sure from your reply that you now know that that is exactly what you can do, by following the instructions that at the MS help link at the subheading "Use Scheduled Tasks".
"To create a Scheduled Task, log on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Scheduled Tasks, and then double-click Add Scheduled Task.

2. Click Next on the first Scheduled Task Wizard page.

3. On the second page, click System Restore in the list of applications, and then click Next.

4. Continue through the wizard, specifying the days and times to run System Restore.

etc. etc.

re. Vista restore problems, it seems that the Safe Mode start then restore is the solution. The reason behind the problem is still a mystery. See this MS forum
tinyurl.com/6lxqen
From the lack of official replies there, it seems MS tech people are avoiding finding a cause, and allowing the Safe Mode solution to stand by itself.

Thank you jbif, I haven't had time try this yet but I will soon. You seem to be to computers what Screwloose is to Diesel injection systems - an informed expert! Thanks for your help.
Getting rid of Ubuntu - Dipstick
I'm not a Linux man. I put Ubuntu onto my Vista machine to try, and yes it's very pretty but does nothing for me that Windows doesn't.

It's put a Grub loader onto the machine which now gives me the choice of various boot options, including Vista.

Having decided Ubuntu isn't for me - how do I get rid of darned thing and get back to a single boot Vista box?

I've asked my techy guys and they look at me in amazement and say they've never met anyone who wanted to get rid of Linux after they'd seen it so they don't know...

I hope it's not the usual Linux "it's easy, you moron, you just do root chmod %9 five whilst rootkitting your snoffers into a threeway window, not forgetting to gain underaccess level 5 whilst..." type of nonsense.
Getting rid of Ubuntu - jbif
hope it's not the usual Linux "it's easy, you moron,

It may or may not be easy, depending on how much of a "dipstick" you are:
quainttech.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-remove-ubun...l
www.thaivisa.com/forum/Removing-Ubuntu-Dual-Boot-S...7
www.planetmy.com/blog/how-to-fixmbr-using-windows-.../

Edited by jbif on 01/08/2008 at 11:12

Ah, trivial as I hoped. Thanks for that jbif. If only they'd left fixmbr where it historically was it would be a lot easier. Excellent, now I can reclaim some partition space back too.

Getting rid of Ubuntu - jbif
Ah, trivial as I hoped

If you do not have access to the Vista DVD, then the other route is via
EasyBCD as Sanjeev says in the Quainttech blog I linked earlier:
"Download and install EasyBCD (google for it you'll find it easy and it's free...)
Fire up EasyBCD (you may have to choose Allow if you have UAC on) and choose 'Manage Bootloader' in the toolbox on the left
In the first option choose the radio button which says 'Reinstall Vista Bootloader' and hit the Write MBR button
Reboot and you have your Vista bootloader back!! Delete the Ubuntu Partition using Storage Manager and you are now good to go..."

or use supergrubdisk
www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/UninstallGRUB

Short version of the linus link! - Armitage Shanks {p}
tinyurl.com/2ft8bz

"depending on how much of a "dipstick" you are..."

I think most regulars on here know the answer to that.

Getting rid of Ubuntu - Baskerville
For future reference, if people want to try Ubuntu for longer than just booting the live disk, I recommend using the Wubi installer wubi-installer.org/ This installs Ubuntu as an application inside Windows, so if you don't like it all you need to do is run the uninstaller.

More on Wubi here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu)

P.S. Underaccess level should be 4.

Edited by Baskerville on 01/08/2008 at 11:36