Rover 214 sli K series...help pse - Alf
SWMBO's old model 1995, 70,000mile rover has broken down and despite me being 200 miles away when it happened, naturally it is my fault!

Driving along when suddenly power dies off and engine doesnt respond to throttle, it idles but wont rev up.
Removing air filter improves things slightly but loads of white smoke coming out through the air filter housing, lot of back-pressure. The car is not driveable as you cant rev it beyond idle. The RAC dude reckons its not the cambelt or else it wouldn't start and idle, at least thats some small relief...if he is right.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Regards,

Alf

Rover 214 sli K series...help pse - David Davies
Alf
This sounds like a blocked exhaust or more specifically a blocked or very restricted cat.Replacing it is one thing but then the engine must be tested to find out why the problem occurred.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Rover 214 sli K series...help pse - Alf
David,

thanks for your reply, managed to get a garage to look at it and it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor (2nd in under 20,000 miles!) and the spark plugs. So all in all not too frightening. I fully appreciate that its difficult to make an accurate diagnosis without the luxury of looking at the car, but I am grateful for your thoughts on the subject.

Regards,

Alf