Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - pda
Since using a satnav in a lorry for the last couple of years it's become clear that most lorry speedometers show 56MPH when they are only actually doing 52-54MPH.
During the last couple of weeks I've been on holiday and used the satnav in my Mondeo for the first time. I found it to be showing 60MPH on the speedo whilst only doing 53MPH on the satnav.
Is this the reason some cars seem to be doing only 35 in 40MPH roadworks even though the road is clear?
Am I right in thinking that the speedometer cable and the odometer cables are linked?
If so what effect does this have on the total mileage recorded on a car?
Pat
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - L'escargot
Am I right in thinking that the speedometer cable and the odometer cables are linked?

Do cable drives for instruments still exist?
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK speedometers can be up to 10% in error but are never allowed to underead. Thus they tend to overread by up to 10% which fits neatly with your observation of people doing 35 mph in a posted 40 limit. My speedo overeads by 3 mph at all speeds, taken against a sat nav read out.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - guss
ive often wondered about this on gps when my golf reads 60mph its doing 57mph and at 70mph its doing 66mph.i know speedos are allowed an error of approx 10% or so by law but surely this is resulting in car mileages reading 6 or 7% higher that the distance they have travelled !! and us taking our cars to dealers for services much earlier than required !
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - jc2
Upto 10%;it will vary from vehicle to vehicle because of optional tyre sizes even on the same vehicle and with tyre wear so what could be reading 5% out this week could be reading something else completely in the future.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Manatee
From experience I would say that the odometer's accuracy is usually much better than the speedo's, though odometers do seem commonly to exaggerate by 1%-2%.

10% exaggeration for a speedo is a lot - I have found perhaps 5%-7% to be more usual, though it's often not linear.

I do like to check these things...

Edited by Manatee on 13/07/2008 at 09:43

Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - maximus
My last car was a primera and the speedo underread by 7-9%! My current car is a citroen c5 and the speedo only underreads by 1mph. This checked with tom tom in each car.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - gordonbennet
I don't think many people account for this error when doing their fuel consumption calculations, i daresay we all want to think we're doing better than we sometimes are.
How many have either believed the computer readout, or assumed that the 400 miles they got from a tank may well have only been 360.

Its also in the interests of the various manufacturers that customers should think their vehicle is economical, but i'm sure thats nothing to do with it..;)

Not quite so bad with a truck, but they are calibrated when new with brand new tyres, and mine new was only 1mph out according to 'drivesmart' (gps camera detector, can't abide sat nav), but its second set of drive axle tyres have just been recut, and its showing just over 55 but doing 53.

Maximus, thats a very accurate speedo in the C5, can you use tom tom to check if your odo is as accurate?
gordonbennet, I'll try the odo on next long journey-if I remember.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - davmal
Why are we assuming that GPS is so accurate?

Do the manufacturer's state their accuracy?

Well I believe it, mainly because it was the same sat nav, and, although dirrerent readings they were both underreading (as they should be). Incidentally, as noted elsewhere on this forum the speed on the sat nav does decrease on a hill even though speedo stays the same-hill has to be fairly steep.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - grumpyscot
Previous forum entries conclude that sat-nat makes no allowance for vertical movement - so if you suddenly go up a 5% incline, your sat nav knows nothing about it - it only measures "as the crow flies" so can have a different reading than the speedo which is measuring the real distance travelled
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - SteVee
SatNav (GPS) can give a 3 dimension fix. Maybe the mapping functions on some units don't take the changes in height into account ?
My SatNav has a display which gives Elevation (altitude), though it does need a fix from at least 3 satellites to provide this. The same satnav also has a tracking / record function that gives a good indication of distance covered.
I believe the satnav works with metric units and maybe slightly more accurate showing metric units. An imperial units display may have some conversion inaccuracies.

I'd agree with the comment about the Primera speedo undereading significantly !
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - OldSock
To be slightly pedantic, SteVee, four satellites are required to give a 3D 'fix' - there's a 'time' element in there too....
>> Maximus thats a very accurate speedo in the C5 can you use tom tom to
check if your odo is as accurate?

>
Sorry for late reply-been away- anyway difficult to check with Tom Tom as display only counts down miles. But, I tried and it appeared that odo was within 1/2%.>

Edited by maximus on 13/09/2008 at 19:23

Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - gordonbennet
Sorry for late reply-been away- anyway difficult to check with Tom Tom as display only
counts down miles. But I tried and it appeared that odo was within 1/2%.>

You remembered Max, better memory than i've ever had. Thankyou.

That C5 speedo/odo is a remarkably accurate for a car unit, i wonder if they're all like that, other makers take note, but i'm coninced that a optimistic odo makes for better fuel consumption figures for drivers to convince themselves of good economy, cynical...maybe.

I know my pick ups speedo reads 70 when according to 'drivesmart' its doing 68/9mph but i haven't got anything to check the odometer, even if the vehicle's sat nav has that facility it would take me forever to work out how to use it. It wasn't that accurate until i changed tyre size to the grey import (correct) size, before that it was reading 70 whilst actually travelling a lot slower, probably 62/3mph.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - L'escargot
My last car was a primera and the speedo underread by 7-9%!

There must have been something wrong.

The law specifies that the reading may be up to 10% more than the true speed (plus 4km/hour) but never less than the true speed. tinyurl.com/vuj22

I disregarded the comment by Gavin Hetherington ~ he was just being pedantic.

Edited by L'escargot on 14/07/2008 at 09:10

Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - SteVee
>> My last car was a primera and the speedo underread by 7-9%!

There must have been something wrong. <<

I agreed with the explanation that the satnav would show low 50s when the speed showed 60.
I guess that should really be described as over-read ?
>> My last car was a primera and the speedo underread by 7-9%!

Pardon, I did mean overread. Just got a little confused.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Peter D
GPS satellites orbit 20,200km up so a small change in height would falsify the speed reading, I think not. Height measurement is available on Differential GPS system like Trimble starting at £5000+ and require a annual licence. If the road is straight then a normal £150 to £250 type GPS will settle to a fairly accurate speed if it has been constant for 10 seconds or so. A Cars are not allowed to under-read in standard spec and yes thaey can be 10% high but normally 6 to 7%. If you have an electronic speedo and LCD oddometer you would be surprised to find that the distance is correct but the speed has been uplifted to be compliant and may be save you licence. My present car offers to display the true spped digitally and the uplitfed speed on the speedo so it is quite clear what the different is. Tyre wear accepted. Regards Peter
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Harleyman
Interesting thread but might I add a personal observation?

Anyone who's driving through road-works and concentrating on the relevant readings of GPS and their speedometer is not paying sufficient attention to the road ahead.

it is very easy to get seriously anal about the issue of differing speedometer readings; have seen countless amonts of bandwidth wasted on it in other forums.

I suggest that any actual difference is so small as to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things; furthermore, car drivers travelling through a 40 limit at 35 are doing so because they don't want to get nicked. Annoying perhaps but a good enough reason to do it.
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - brum
As a design engineer, I was assured by a Garmin engineer a few years ago that speed on a GPS is not calculated by Geographical data fixes as these can have relatively large instantaneous errors, Speed is calculated by measuring Doppler shift of the Satellites fixed frequency transmissions. As such (on the garmin units) speed is pretty accurate even when selective availabilty is enabled (US introduced degraded fix accuracy). Fairly safe to assume this is also the case on other units (there are only a handful of gps chip manufacturers)

Edited by brum on 13/09/2008 at 20:59

Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Altea Ego
Brum

your info is a few years out of date. There are now many GPS chip manufacturers, the US dropped jitter (degraded fix accuracy) and most units measure ground speed by geographic points. ( with a 9 satelite fix accuracy on the ground is pretty err well accurate)

Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Hoseman
I went on a tour of the NISSAN car plant in Sunderland on Thursday through the Heritage open Days scheme. Before a car leaves the plant the car is put on a rolling road test where there are different tests carried out, one of them being the speedometer is calibrated to read 8% higher than the actual road speed.
Hope this is of some use.

Hoseman
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - corblimeyguvnar
My old motor the Focus used to be approx 7% out, Pug is about 5%.

CBG
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - NowWheels
My old motor the Focus used to be approx 7% out Pug is about 5%.

At 70mph on the satnav, my Almera is out by pretty much the full 10%. I think it over-reads a little less at 30, but only a little.

As with others, it's fine on distance. I wonder if the speedo was calibrated for a larger wheel size?
Speedometer accuracy or lack of it. - Number_Cruncher
>>calibrated for a larger wheel size?

Calibrated is perhaps too strong a word for anything fitted in a car's dashboard, but, yes, car manufacturers do/did make a speedo drive pinion / speedo head combination serve for as many models within a range as possible.

Now that the pickup tends to be via the ABS sensor, there's less need for that type of necessary engineering compromise.