Trouble with a garage - JaybeeInHJ
Hi all,

Just got off the phone to my garage, they've had my car a week, which is what they quoted to fit my gearbox, and that arrived on their premises Wednesday last week.

NOW they're talking about Monday for having it ready. They're not waiting for any extra parts, they just said, "Sorry we're just busy"

Could I say, "No, that's not good enough. I want it back THIS week or I'm knocking X% off the bill" for my inconvenience? My written quote (not an estimate!) specifies the price, but not the time taken.

Thanks in advance,

JB
Trouble with a garage - oldtoffee
Yes you could say all that but IMO it won't do you any good and you won't get X or Y off the bill and who knows, they could get a bit busier and it may take longer than Monday.

You're at their mercy but they don't seem a bad bunch (sorry isn't in many garages vocabulary!) and if they're busy that's usually a good sign. However they have let you down a bit so no harm in politely asking if they can see their way to lending you a car or will they make a contribution towards the cost of a hire car by way of some money off the bill?

No car for the weekend? Jump on a cheap train, head for somewhere different and have a chill day out.

Trouble with a garage - yorkiebar
I am not saying they are above reproach, however just think of what they could have done; and might do if you pressure them too much.

Rush the job to get it finished (even if it means a few shortcuts etc) and back to you without being tested properly etc. You then get the folowing problems and aggravation and re visits etc etc etc.

Be polite,but say you need it done right,but could do with it back as soon as possible.

The best garages often offer any 2 of the 3 following.

1 Fast
2 Cheap
3 Good quality work

But be wary if you choose 1 and 2 !
Trouble with a garage - JaybeeInHJ
Damn...next time I'll get the Completion Date on the quote.
Trouble with a garage - Natty Bumppo
If you are so upset exercise the ultimate veto. Go elsewhere next time. Remember though if they (eventually) do a good job at a reasonble price it may be better the devil you know......