Mondeo 1.8TD Performance (Turbo??) - lawrenso
Hi all,

I have an L Reg Mondeo TD that has suddenly become gutless. When I hit a hill, a lot of the times just a slight incline, and the power drops off - I am having to drop into 4th on the motorway at times to try and get the power back up, and if it is a hill - I can end up doing 20 MPH - which is highly embarrasing. It takes ages to build speed up which can be quite hairy when joining motorways from the slip road.

Basically - it is running like a straight diesel - not a turbo diesel. I am not too worried about the cost of the repair as I have a warranty that I have purchased after the Injector Pump went (at 70,000 miles!!!!), it is the dreaded "Diagnosis" time that scares me (the Ford garage is quoting £55 per hour)

This started happening after spending 3 hours sat in gridlock around Reading last week - don't know if this could be connected.

Many Thanks for any replies in advance
Mondeo 1.8TD Performance (Turbo??) - RichardW
Should be fairly easy to test the turbo - look under the bonnet and disconnect a hose on the pressure (inlet) side of the turbo. Start the engine, rev it up and you should get a healty blast of air coming out of the tube. If not, well.... There could be a myriad of other causes - blocked air filter, blocked fuel filter, air in the fuel, slipped cambelt - the possibilities are almost endless! Usually the warranty pays for the diagnosis as long as it is found to be a warrantable problem, doesn't it?

Richard

Mondeo 1.8TD Performance (Turbo??) - lawrenso
Hi Richard

the warranty will not pay for the diagnosis. they will only pay for the labour and parts to be replace/fixed once diagnosis is carried out. One question on the Mondeo - where will the pressure side be.

Cheers

Steve (lawrenso)
Mondeo 1.8TD Performance (Turbo??) - RichardW
Never had to look under the bonnet of a Mondeo, but look for a pipe running from the turbo (on the exhaust manifold) back to the inlet manifld, probably via the intercooler down by the radiator somewhere. There may be a small pipe coming off leading to the injection pump, that tells it how much extra diesel to bung in, which may be your best bet.

Richard