How civilised is Newhaven? - mike hannon
We need to do a quick Blighty run this week from France and we are tempted to use the Dieppe-Newhaven crossing with Transmanche Ferries - seems cheap and convenient.
Only problem is - the return ferry leaves Newhaven at 7am on Saturday and we don't know the area. We'll need a hotel Friday night and I read a railway book backalong by a bloke who grew up in Newhaven and said it was, to put it politely, 'the back of beyond'. So does anyone know if there's somewhere handy for the ferry where we can stay over? A Premier Inn or Travelodge would do, I guess...
How civilised is Newhaven? - ForumNeedsModerating
Try:
tinyurl.com/6azwam

A few places listed.

I know Newhaven well, a charming working port - not chocolate-box charming, but interesting. It's at the mouth of the Ouse, has an interesting (Victorian) fort & (limited) walks up & around the estuary. The central 'old' town was unfortunately blighted by a mini ringroad that effectively makes it an island - but with crossings & subways. It's small, you can walk around the centre in 10mins. Ferry access is 5mins from centre. Good fish & chips (local fresh fish from Newhaven based trawlers).

Edited by woodbines on 06/07/2008 at 12:29

How civilised is Newhaven? - bintang
Although it is some time since I used it, I would say the last hotel, nearest the sea, on the west bank of the river should be avoided although it housed a nice-looking Italian restaurant. I agree about the fish and chips.
Thanks for that, Woodbines et al. That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping someone would come up with.
The railway book I mentioned is called 'Parallel Lines' by Ian Marchant and is the best I've read in years - it compares the reality of today's UK railways with the dream world of railway buffs. Maybe he's a bit hard on his home town though!

Edited by mike hannon on 06/07/2008 at 12:42

How civilised is Newhaven? - Big Norm
I stayed at the Premier Travelinn place for 2 nights a few years ago - it was fine and the town seemed alright. If you have any interest in things historic the fort is well worth a visit - you get good views of the Ferrys from there !

Tell us how the Ferry etc. is, if you do it - it's one of the few Ferry trips to the continent I've never tried.
As requested, an update re the Newhaven-Dieppe Transmanche ferry crossing.
It's ok - a bit like LD Lines, which isn't surprising as it appears to be the same firm - basic but the boat is modern and comfortable. Catering is basic but the self-service operation provided decent food that wasn't expensive. Strangely, it proved impossible to buy a newspaper or magazine on any service.
Unloading at Newhaven is a bit weird because the berth can evidently only take the boat bows-on, so everything that loaded through the stern doors in Dieppe has to reverse out. Very strange.
When I mentioned to someone that I thought the terminal facilities and so on were a bit basic it was pointed out to me that this is, more than anything, a freight route - but it is cheap and pleasant enough. Staff and crew were unfailingly helpful.
Dieppe proved to be a find - a really nice seaside town with excellent restaurants, etc, and plenty to look at. The ferry terminal is not well signposted though.
The only problem with the whole thing is - Newhaven. (See above).
Do NOT stop in Newhaven! And if you have to spend the night near the ferry terminal, think about staying somewhere close by that's nice - Lewes, maybe.
I do not plan to say much more about the 'N' word, for fear of being sued by Visitengland or whatever the English Tourist Board now calls itself.
If ever a place was a prime candidate for nuking and starting again, that was it. On Sunday evening even the blanking fish and chip shop was closed! (Although we did have an excellent meal in The Viceroy Indian restaurant - the only place doing sit-in food!). Even then they added a tip to the debit card chit (I noticed later).
The only sign of life in the High Street (looking like something from the Concrete Jungle) was one very bored looking seagull, tearing open a black bag of rubbish outside a kebab carry-out. Goodness knows what they found to throw away.
Mind you, all his mates were lurking around somewhere - they managed to fly around all night kicking up an almighty din, as well as cr*pping all over the car. Just as well you are expected to be queuing at 5.30am for a 7am sailing.
So there you are - Transmanche Ferry, no problem. The 'N' word - aaaaaaargh!

How civilised is Newhaven? - Greenslade
The Premier Inn is ok, as has been mentioned. It's also adjacent to a Sainsbury store with a decent cafe, if you end up arriving on Friday afternoon.

If you have time to kill, Seaford (three miles down the A259) is a pleasant and safe place to take a stroll along the promenade.

Newhaven is a little depressed, but I've never felt threatened there.

How civilised is Newhaven? - oldnotbold
"Unloading at Newhaven is a bit weird because the berth can evidently only take the boat bows-on, so everything that loaded through the stern doors in Dieppe has to reverse out. Very strange."

Staggering, honestly.
Actually, the more I think about it the more confused I am.
When we loaded from the 'N' word we went through the bow door and out the stern end at Dieppe, as one might expect.
But on the way over we loaded at Dieppe through the stern but had to reverse out - huge trucks and everything.
Maybe it was because we and the trucks were on a high deck so everything had to reverse from the front and go down a ramp to the next deck before driving off.
I was a bit confused at the time - it was 6am and we didn't get on until gone 12.30am - after the scheduled leaving time. Then, an hour later when everyone had settled down in their cabins and were trying to sleep the safety announcement came on the Tannoy! It was a bumpy crossing and at 5am someone came round banging on the cabin doors to wake us up again, an hour before scheduled disembarkation...