Oil temperature high - daisyjane
When towing a caravan with my Peugeot 406 HDI estate the oil temperature goes really high. Is this normal or should I have it looked at?
Oil temperature high - Bill Payer
How do you know - has it really got an oil temp gauge?
Oil temperature high - daisyjane
Yes, it has got a oil temperature gauge. The model is a 2L Peugeot 406 diesel HDI executive estate. Is the oil temperature gauge reading high whilst towing a problem?
Oil temperature high - oldnotbold
Some people fit oil coolers to tow cars, but if the oil temp is within limits I can't see the need in your case.
I'm pretty sure 406 HDi's already have an oil cooler.
Oil temperature high - movilogo
Can anyone please explain what is the significance of oil temperature gauge? I know some cars have oil pressure gauge. But don't know why oil temp. gauge is relevant.
Oil temperature high - Number_Cruncher
>>what is the significance of oil temperature gauge?

fourfold;

1) oil is also used to cool parts of engines, notably the undersides of the pistons of turbo diesels - it can't do that effectively if it's too hot

2) oil degrades when it gets (much) too hot

3) oil takes longer to warm up, and is really a more reliable indicator of engine temperature than the coolant temperature, and gives a driver a better indication of when in the warmup cycle full power and speed can be demanded

4) In order to drive off condensation, the oil needs to run just over 100C, but not too far above, the gauge gives an indication that this is happening correctly - some engines have an oil thermostat to regulate flow to the cooler, and if this fails, the only way you would know would be via the oil temperature gauge.

However, as a dashboard mounted gimmick, I'm quite glad that none of our cars has one fitted - a fault or inaccuracy in the gauge, sensor, or wiring (we are talking about a French car after all!) is much more likely than there being an engine fault.

I drove several Peugeot 406 Exec's company cars over quite s few years but mine were all petrol and I really didn't remember an oil temp gauge - but thinking a bit harder, I guess they must have had?

IIRC the gauge also reports the oil level when you turn the ignition on (just like a petrol gauge) and then it reverts to an oil temp gauge once under way.

Not sure what to suggest to the OP - towing's not my thing. One thing that occurs to me is that the cars are quite high geared and towing may be at relatively low speeds - perhaps a key thing is to keep the engine moving "freely" and not labour it in too high a gear?? (sorry if this blinkin obvious)!
Oil temperature high - mjm
What temperature is it reading?
The gauge on my Xantia(2l petrol) has the red section starting at 150 degrees Centigrade. From memory the temperature sender is in the sump. Normally, even this time of year the temperature never reads above about 75 degrees in normal rural driving, not towing, though. A long motorway trip in hot weather followed by trickling along in heavy stop start traffic will see the gauge read about 100 to 110 degrees.
Oil temperature high - Number_Cruncher
>>read about 100 to 110 degrees.

That's absolutely ideal!

Oil temperature high - mjm
>>read about 100 to 110 degrees. That's absolutely ideal!

It would be, N_C, it is a Citroen after all! :)