02 2.0 Clutch pedal on the floor - Robin the Technician
My Peugeot 406 '02 Estate has exhibited a strange thing a couple of times. I've gone to it first thing in the morning and the clutch pedal is on the floor. If i pull it up it works perfectly. Its happended a couple of times now and i suspect it to be a cluch master/slave cylinder leaking. I've never seen a reservoir uner the bonnet to top it up so must assume its sealed? If it is, what sort of job is it to change? Do i have to change the lot i.e master cylinder, pipe and slave cylinder as an assembly?
Anty help or advice is, as always greatly appreciated

02 2.0 Clutch pedal on the floor - Screwloose
Robin

Known issue with various causes. Does yours have a spring "helper strut" on the pedal?
Hi Screwloose,
Not sure as I've not looked at the pedal area. Will take a look over the weekend and let you know.

Hi Screwloose,
Have had a look (with great difficulty) at the clutch pedal. All I can see (and feel) is a straighforward pedal that's pivoted at the top end and a bit futher down it seems to be attached to a rod that I assume is the clutch master cylinder. At the top is a large spring that is attached - there is definitely no 'helper' of any kind. The clutch has always been 'light' (3 years of ownership) which I've always assumed is unusual for a diesel. However, apart from this intermittent problem the clutch has performed with no problems.

Robin

Some had a spring strut that pushed down on the pedal; if the slave leaked, or the master didn't seal 100% then the pedal crept down overnight.

If you haven't got that strut [most stuck and were binned] then it looks like a hydraulic leak - was there any wetness on the bottom of the clutch housing?
Again not looked at the clutch housing area. If the slave cyliner is leaking is it a gearbox out job or is it straightforward to just unbolt and replace?

Thanks

Robin

Box out on that one, I think. It's a pull clutch with concentric slave; special tools and approach needed.
02 2.0 Clutch pedal on the floor - Whisky
I've never seen a reservoir uner the bonnet to top it up so must assume its sealed?

IIRC it runs on the brake fluid
02 2.0 Clutch pedal on the floor - topbloke
pipe runs from brake m/cyl to clutch m/cyl, have a look under the vehicle is there any dampness/oil around bell houseing area (where engine meets gearbox) what colour possible concentric slave cyl issue